Projector Calibration via 3DLUTs

Captind

I came across a recent post stating that there are no capable video calibrators here, hence I decided to share my experience of the professional calibration of my JVC projector. I got 3DLUT based calibration done remotely by @blackcobbler (his name is Ankit and the website is blackcobbler.com). And I have been amazed so far with the color performance that I see here both for SDR and HDR.

I met him on the international AVS forum it was on a thread to find the cheapest 4k HDR LUT BOX , as the only LUT capable devices were the Lumagen, madVR envy/extreme and madVR htpc , all of which were in excess of usd 1500 and above , wherein I happened to find the cheapest option the BMD micro converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 12g which cost about INR 13.5k . link is attached herewith

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/4k-hdr-33-point-lut-box-for-179-usd.3204471/post-61261363

Previously, I have dabbled with Manual Calibration and JVC Autocal. I got decent results but I was not really happy. If the image looked good in one movie, it didn’t in another. And HDR was a mess. I always got too dark an image. I even tried using madVR and found its HDR tone mapping producing although brighter but noisy and over saturated images.

Then through AVSForum thread when I saw he was based in india, I contacted him wherein I learnt that he was providing 3DLUT based display calibration service remotely worldwide through his company BlackCobbler and more so as he an engineer, a BTech from IIT Kanpur, with high level of expertise in the area of Color Science and Applications I knew this was the real deal .

After a discussion with him on phone, I was quite keen to get a studio grade calibration done for my projector, as he provides the same service to studios and post-production houses. I informed him that I only have an X-Rite i1Display Pro, which is a colorimeter. He had recommended both a colorimeter and a spectrometer as a pre-requisite to remote calibration. He managed with just the i1Display Pro, using a JVC projector compatible spectral correction file to improve the accuracy of this probe, to perform the calibration.

I was blown away by the image I saw after loading the 3DLUTs in madVR. He provided me three 3DLUTs: one for SDR, the other for HDR to be used with madVR tone mapping and one another for HDR with their own propriety tone mapping. Both SDR and HDR have been mesmerizing. I got the best HDR representation with the third LUT that had BlackCobbler tone mapping. Not only the HDR images were pleasantly bright but the HDR effect was also awesome. The LUT struggled though with very bright scenes as it happens with any static tone mapping implementation. In such scenes, although I saw loss of details in the highlights, but still it was an acceptable image. In other scenes, the image was jaw dropping.

Since I noticed that in another thread it was mentioned that there are no calibrators in India who can do 3DLUT calibration. Just wanted to correct this view that we have a color engineers in India providing highly sophisticated calibration service, both remotely and on-site, and seems people are not aware here, while people from other countries are posting about it:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/fo...-the-fengmi-t1.3245676/page-188#post-62373603

I would encourage other forum members who have had their projectors professionally calibrated to share their experience. As this would be helpful for others going forward

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I have na unopened i1 Display Pro, but it has not been calibrated with a spectrometer, so am wondering if there is anybody in India (preferably in Bangalore) that I can send my device to and get it calibrated along with the correction file for the future.

Meter profiling has to be done in your ht environment , in the absence of a spectro , the nxt best as was in my case , is the spectral correction data which is loaded on the calibration software , if you are using a jvc projector share the model number , and which calibration sw you plan to use , I will send u the link

Meter profiling has to be done in your ht environment , in the absence of a spectro , the nxt best as was in my case , is the spectral correction data which is loaded on the calibration software , if you are using a jvc projector share the model number , and which calibration sw you plan to use , I will send u the link
Understood - I have a JVC 540 that I would like to get calibrated. Regarding calibration software, I haven't made up my mind yet. There is a hacked dll file that will allow me to autocal using i1Display Pro, so given how simple it is to use autocal, I was hoping to use this.

I am also interested in getting a 3DLUT done, so that's another option I am exploring too.

same projector as mine , even if you do use the hacked dll autocal, you have the option of using the spectral correction css /edr file for more accurate reading , but remember to use the correct one as they differ for low lamp, with and without the dci filter in place , and the same for high lamp.

Back