Projector dilemma - Normal or Short throw

vishalj

Dear All,

I shifted to my own house a year back and due to my interest for Home theatre, got a room dedicated for the same. Though it's more than a year now, am yet to get the room set up with AV items.

One of my friend is travelling to US and hence thought that this is my best chance to start building up my man cave with a projector first. So here are my requirements for

Full Hd
3D
Ceiling mounting possible
Preferably under 50k

Now, just to give few details about my HT room:

Room size 10.5 ft x 10.5 ft
Projection distance - 8.5 to 9 feet
Viewing distance - 8 feet at farthest point from screen
Projector screen size 7-9 ft long by 5 ft tall ( maximum)

I researched a lot about which projector to get. In fact have sort of zeroed in between Optoma HD 142x and Benq W1070. But am confused now on whether to get a normal projector or a ST projector. Also, am still not able to make up my mind on which technology - LCD , 3LCD, DLP, Etc.

My friend is in US for another week so have to decide quickly and finalise, hence need some suggestions for the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this calculator to figure out what works best for you.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm

Also, do you plan to ceiling mount (As in hang it upside down) it? If yes, DLP cannot work since they need to be placed right side up. No such issues with 3LCD. Both technologies are quite mature now so no issues picking up any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no point in buying electronics that will be used after 1 year. advise you buy may be 3 odd months prior to your cave being ready.

no point in buying electronics that will be used after 1 year. advise you buy may be 3 odd months prior to your cave being ready.
Hi. This is already ready including all electrical points, wiring etc. been made. Now I just have to buy all AV stuff and connect.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Dear All,

I shifted to my own house a year back and due to my interest for Home theatre, got a room dedicated for the same. Though it's more than a year now, am yet to get the room set up with AV items.

One of my friend is travelling to US and hence thought that this is my best chance to start building up my man cave with a projector first. So here are my requirements for

Full Hd
3D
Preferably under 50k

I researched a lot about which projector to get. In fact have sort of zeroed in between Optoma HD 142x and Benq W1070. But am confused now on whether to get a normal projector or a ST projector. Also, am still not able to make up my mind on which technology - LCD , 3LCD, DLP, Etc.

My friend is in US for another week so have to decide quickly and finalise, hence need some suggestions for the same.

Short throw is better for your requirements, anything less than 10ft projection distance Short throw is better.

Is this calculator to figure out what works best for you.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm

Also, do you plan to ceiling mount (As in hang it upside down) it? If yes, DLP cannot work since they need to be placed right side up. No such issues with 3LCD. Both technologies are quite mature now so no issues picking up any of them.

Am I missing anything here? this is my third DLP projector (benq ht 3050) - all of them are ceiling mounted - upside down no issues at all...

I don't know of any valid reason to prefer 3Lcd over DLP other than a person is too sensitive to rainbow artifacts. There are quite a few advantages other way round, at least two of my friends converted to DLP recently.

Short throw is better for your requirements, anything less than 10ft projection distance Short throw is better.

Am I missing anything here? this is my third DLP projector (benq ht 3050) - all of them are ceiling mounted - upside down no issues at all...

I don't know of any valid reason to prefer 3Lcd over DLP other than a person is too sensitive to rainbow artifacts. There are quite a few advantages other way round, at least two of my friends converted to DLP recently.

https://www.cnet.com/news/dlp-vs-lcd-vs-lcos-projector-tech-pros-and-cons/

I was referring to this article. There is no universally accepted criteria that DLPs are better when compared to 3LCD. It mostly depends on the implementation since there are both good and bad implementations of both technologies. I have a Panasonic ae4000u and it is an excellent 3LCD projector.

Regarding hanging it upside down, I was mistaken. That was the understanding in 2009 with DLP. It seems that is not the case anymore

https://www.cnet.com/news/dlp-vs-lcd-vs-lcos-projector-tech-pros-and-cons/

I was referring to this article. There is no universally accepted criteria that DLPs are better when compared to 3LCD. It mostly depends on the implementation since there are both good and bad implementations of both technologies. I have a Panasonic ae4000u and it is an excellent 3LCD projector.

Regarding hanging it upside down, I was mistaken. That was the understanding in 2009 with DLP. It seems that is not the case anymore

I had to point out as it's factually misleading anyone considering DLP projector, no offense meant.

Most movie theaters around the world use DLP technology AFAIK, 3Lcd has a better brightness, whereas DLP offers better contrast ratios, that is better overall black levels. Hope that helps

https://youtu.be/sfGrWZwiRFU

I had to point out as it's factually misleading anyone considering DLP projector, no offense meant.

Most movie theaters around the world use DLP technology AFAIK, 3Lcd has a better brightness, whereas DLP offers better contrast ratios, that is better overall black levels. Hope that helps

https://youtu.be/sfGrWZwiRFU
So it seems Short throw projector may be better suited for my requirements as the normal projector may not be able to give me a large screen Projection. Any suggestions for ST projectors, preferably under USD 1000?

Dear All,

Full Hd
3D
Preferably under 50k

I have got LG pf1000u from US .. and its an ultra short throw projector .. so far I am happy with it .. yet to get my screen .. once I have it will post it here .. you may want to look at it ..

So it seems Short throw projector may be better suited for my requirements as the normal projector may not be able to give me a large screen Projection. Any suggestions for ST projectors, preferably under USD 1000?

I don't know the current favorites, my suggestion is based on June 2016 research.
Benq W1085 ST (very good option)
Newer one is HT 2150 ST
Optoma GT 1080.

Buy optoma if budget is issue, I had Benq HT 2050 regular throw, so I guess 2150 st shouldn't be much different, which is a great projector. (I have seen 1080ST and GT 1080 both are very good, if you want a brighter projector go with Optoma ; Benq if you want more accurate colors and a sharper image).

These are available between 60 - 80k INR in India grey market so buy from USA only if you are getting a better deal.

I don't know the current favorites, my suggestion is based on June 2016 research.
Benq W1085 ST (very good option)
Newer one is HT 2150 ST
Optoma GT 1080.

Buy optoma if budget is issue, I had Benq HT 2050 regular throw, so I guess 2150 st shouldn't be much different, which is a great projector. (I have seen 1080ST and GT 1080 both are very good, if you want a brighter projector go with Optoma ; Benq if you want more accurate colors and a sharper image).

These are available between 60 - 80k INR in India grey market so buy from USA only if you are getting a better deal.

Thanks.

The Benq 2150ST is priced at USD 999 (Rs. 70k) while Optoma GT1080 is at USD 675 (47k). If there are any customs to be paid at airport then that would be additional. Prices of these in India (on online stores) are almost double. Also, as I understand, there is no warranty in India if I purchase it from US. So that's the risk I have to run with.

Just have one more doubt. As I mentioned, the throw distance which is available in my HT room is 8.5 ft. Now, in many of these ST projectors' specs. it mentions that for 100ft projection, throw distance of 4-6 ft is required. So my question is whether I can get about 100ft projection with 8/8.5 ft distance, else I have to change the ceiling mount location for my projector, which may be difficult.

That's why I said, it's based on the implementation :)

LCOS is being used much widely in theaters nowadays as well.

Anyhow, I doubt most people would be able to tell the difference between two equally priced DLP or 3LCD projectors from a reputable company.

Dear All,

Thanks for all your inputs. I have now finalised Optoma GT1080 based on my requirements and budget. Need one more advice. While placing order on Amazon.com, at the time of checkout USD 52 are charged as Estimated taxes to be collected. However, if I change the seller from Amazon to one another on Amazon.com, there are no taxes. So am bit confused on whether to get it from this other seller without taxes and whether there would be any at taxes at time of delivery or rather to get it from Amazon and pay taxes.

Dear All,

Thanks for all your inputs. I have now finalised Optoma GT1080 based on my requirements and budget. Need one more advice. While placing order on Amazon.com, at the time of checkout USD 52 are charged as Estimated taxes to be collected. However, if I change the seller from Amazon to one another on Amazon.com, there are no taxes. So am bit confused on whether to get it from this other seller without taxes and whether there would be any at taxes at time of delivery or rather to get it from Amazon and pay taxes.

Buy from Amazon full filled seller after paying taxes, you'll have to otherwise pay extra at the time of delivery, which will be much more.
Also returns are easy too, Amazon will allow 30ds returns and will pay back the shipping charges you incurred while returning it to USA address (from personal experience).

Buy from Amazon full filled seller after paying taxes, you'll have to otherwise pay extra at the time of delivery, which will be much more.
Also returns are easy too, Amazon will allow 30ds returns and will pay back the shipping charges you incurred while returning it to USA address (from personal experience).
Thanks. The other seller is also Amazon fulfilled where he is not charging any taxes. But better to pay taxes and get the projector directly from Amazon as a seller rather then a third party seller.

Dear All,

Check if the other seller is "fulfilled by Amazon". That will ensure that the order delivery timeline they provide would be met 99% of the time. Since you are carrying it to India, it does not matter who you buy from.

The only other reason to buy from Amazon or is Amazon fulfilled is that it comes under their return policy. Which again in this case would not matter to you.

But if you do have time, do open it up and check
If it had all the parts and is working by projecting on a wall. Just to be sure that it is not DOA

Thanks to all of you for your valuable inputs. I have finally got the Optoma HT1080 projector. I just started it for testing and am really impressed. Am sure after a bit of running in and changing calibration settings it would be better. Also, currently am projecting the same on a white wall, would get a screen soon.

Now I have two queries where I would need help:
1. Which screen to buy? I don't need a motorised screen but a manual pull down screen. Heard a lot about Liberty grand view screen. Any idea from where I can buy it in Mumbai and get it installed?

2. There are occasional power cuts at where I stay, though not waltage fluctuation. As I have read online that in such a case a UPS is always better, so request which UPS should be good enough. As am planning to soon get an AVR too, need a UPS which would be good enough for both the projector and AVR.

Thanks in advance.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back