PS3 an alternative to all these media players?

Just my laptop resolution is not the criteria.
The fact is my dedicated 256 mb ati hd 3650 supports full hd resolution so i am able to get hd when connecting laptop via hdmi out to lcd or streaming via ps3 server.

Yes even with wired connection it is difficult to forward/rewind full hd movies.

Please see my earlier post regarding the fast forward and rewind. The problem is easily solved through the scene search function and actually I find it rather intuitive.

if you're not into gaming, ps3 is a wastage of money. I was looking for a blu-ray player, and after little bit of research, was able to rule out ps3 quite easily.

1. ps3 cant play mkv
2. ps3 cant support ntfs, FAT32 is what, about 15 years old and is atrocious.
3. ps3 slim has dropped support for linux
4. ps3 (fat one) couldnt bitstream
5. Most important: blu-ray player - 25W, ps3 - 250W!!! ten times power consumption. Was planning to get it from US, will need a separate step down transformer for it. blu-ray player will work with the plug-it-in 50w step downs, not requiring another big black box.

For 4gb file limitation though, you can split the file using mkv tools for mkv, there are other tools to do this for other formats. As long as you are not converting the file format, this will be quite quick.

doors - I am not sure if you are following the thread closely. The limitations that you have mentioned do not exist when you use the PS3 Media server. And remember we are talking about households having a computer (a desktop preferably) and a PS3.

I wont talk about power consumption. I really dont see it as such a big criterion when using such gadgets. No offense meant to those who do though.

One other thing. I dont know how many of you use your media players for music as well.

For non critical listening the PS3 Analog outs are not too bad. It is nothing special though. But it certainly is not bad. I send the analog outs directly to my NAD C372.

I'm using PS3 as media player with PS MediaServer application. Must say I was pleasantly surprised to see the capability of the PS3 and with the correct settings it just work perfectly. I don't think that now I need to go for a media player anymore. I know there'll be some features I'll be missing but till I don't know what I'm missing, I won't bother much.
BTW, just playing music from PS3 and it's quite good atleast for my listening. I'm not a audiophile or whatever, so it's sounding pretty good to my ears. And loved that visualisation of the earth moving:D
Cheers,

For those who are noobs like me, how this thing works..
First, you need to download a media server software( I'm using PS3 MediaServer) from the net to your PC/laptop. You can either connect wired or wirelessly. I'm using wireless connection with a Linksys router. So basically my Laptop/Ext HDD's and the PS3 are connected through the WLAN.
To configure PS3 for wireless you need to go to the Network Settings.
Enable Internet Connection.
Go to Internet Connection Settings and then select your preferred mode of connection(wired/Wireless). For wireless you'll have to select the network first.
Once selected you have to key in the password if you've set one for your network (WPA authentication).
Once you are successfully in the network you can go back and check Network Status by using Settings and Connection Status List on your network settings menu on PS3.
There is a Internet Conncetion Test option available but that's not working for me and always returning an error. So I don't care about it as the network is still working. You may need to restart the PS3 after the first time setup.
Also don't forget to enable the Media Server connection in Network Settings menu.
Now in your PC run your PS3 MediaServer. It'll try to find your PS3 automatically. Once you see the PS3 is detected you can go to your Transcoding settings and change your settings for your network and CPU capability.
[ for wireless network and a reasonably fast CPU following seems to work best, or basically that's what I'm using now after some trial and error..
Max. Bandwidth : 18 (you may try different values)
Mpeg2 video quality settings : keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2
Other things I left as default.
Before this setup my video was stuttering after sometime but now it's smooth as if being played directly from the hard drive]
Next step is to share the folders that you want PS3 to see. For this, go to Navigation/Share settings and add your folders.
After this you should be able to see your MediaServer from PS3 menu on your TV and you can start browsing and playing your media using the PS3.
Regards,

Friends,
It might be off topic, How PS3 will perform as an upscaler for DVDs compared to Stand alone Blu ray Player, lets say Panny BD60.

Regards
Satya.

I would think it should be as good but if you compare to a players like oppo or high end denon with anchorbay or reon upscaling they would have the edge.

Friends,
It might be off topic, How PS3 will perform as an upscaler for DVDs compared to Stand alone Blu ray Player, lets say Panny BD60.

Regards
Satya.
Ummm, not sure though, but I think PS3 doesn't do up-scaling for DVD's. It plays them at their native resolution. If there is any setup option for up-scaling please let me know. For DVD's I still use my Pio which I found to be better with up-scaled video.

Ummm, not sure though, but I think PS3 doesn't do up-scaling for DVD's. It plays them at their native resolution. If there is any setup option for up-scaling please let me know. For DVD's I still use my Pio which I found to be better with up-scaled video.

PS3 definitely does upscaling and is considered as a good upscaler. You can find the settings under -- >Settings - Display Settings

Sorry My bad. It does do upscaling and as teky said it's very good at doing that. Watching LOTR at it's full glory (till BluRay version comes out he he). BTW, changed the video output format to RGB(it was automatic and that seems to be similar to Y Pb/cb Pr/Cr) and the colors are looking much more brilliant now. So for HDMI connection RGB seems to be best option as of now.

Hi,

To alleviate the FAT32 problem for playing 4GB+ MKV's on the PS3, just use this simple tool called mkv2Vob. File conversion from MKV to PS3 compatible format takes less than a minute for 4.3 GB MKV's. Also it will convert DTS to AC3 if u don't have an audio receiver connected to your PS3.

It also gives u an option to split the file to 3.99GB files so that u can store them on a FAT32 drive or the PS3's internal drive.

There is no transcoding involved so its a super clean way. Hope this helps.

Well if you ask me then I would say no. PS3 still has someway to go to become a full fledged media player like WDTV or Xtreamer etc. I've shifted to Xtreamer and I'm using the PS3 only for gaming now.

Well if you ask me then I would say no. PS3 still has someway to go to become a full fledged media player like WDTV or Xtreamer etc. I've shifted to Xtreamer and I'm using the PS3 only for gaming now.

Wow!

That's a 180 deg turn since your Dec post...!

You were gonna be my inspiration for using the PS3 as a media player...:sad:

Perhaps you can share what are the shortcomings, as perceived by you?

Wow!

That's a 180 deg turn since your Dec post...!

You were gonna be my inspiration for using the PS3 as a media player...:sad:

Perhaps you can share what are the shortcomings, as perceived by you?

Well, things were working fine till the time I got files as big as 8GB. After that the PS3 was just not able to stream properly. It used stutter a lot for those files and it was just unwatchable. But this might be the problem may be with my router too. So if you have a better and newer router you might be good to go. Also changing the connection from Wireless to wired will most probably solve the issue to an extent. But I got impatient and got the xtreamer and give the PS3 it's due rest ;-). Also now I don't need to start the lappy to watch a movie. So convenience was another drawback for PS3.

BJI59,

Did you end up buying a ps3?...

Well, in a sense, yes.

I bought my first PS3 in 2007. It went YLOD about 18 mths later. The only option was a replacement unit at S$321 (not sure how much in RP, sorry)
I refused to pay this amount and left it idling at home for some 6 mths.

Then the slim version came out and I could get this as the replacement unit. At the time I considered buying a media player instead, and fact is, some would have even cost less. But I do occasionally play the odd game now and then. And being an old school type of guy, the thought of having a non working PS3 lying idle was troubling. So I plonked the money on getting a replacemnt PS3 slim.

I normally use a NAD C542 and Beresford DAC for serious music listening. But before my fat PS3 went kaput I had started copying my CDs into the hard drive and the convenience of this set-up after a hard day at the office was appealing. Hence my interest in a media player/replacement PS3.

I decided on the PS3 because of its versatility: gaming, surfing the net, as well as audio and video player. But I was aware of some of the limitations you guys have mentioned even then. Now I'm just trying to maximise its usage before any YLOD!:)

Oh, an another thing, from what I read in my local forum, it seems like all the currently available media players are not exactly without their own sets of problems either...

Last edited:
The answer is a big No!! I have both and PS3 is pretty horrid as a media player.

you are right .. others like the oppo beats it hands down .. only + point is that it is able to play ps3 games ..

Go for the ps3 only if you are an avid gamer .. or else there are better options

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back