PS3 as a CD Player

Black_Hawk

Hello Folks,

Has anyone here tried playing Audio CD's from a PS3? How does the onboard DAC sound? I have an old PS3 Super Slim lying and gathering dust so was thinking if I can use it to play my Audio CDs from back in the day. Of late I was going through my audio CD's and I am having an urge to play them again. If the PS3 can be put to use then great or else I was thinking maybe I should buy a Marantz CD5005?

I would like to connect the PS3/ Marantz CD5005 to my Edifier S1000DB speakers.

Ok - so here is the thing - you can play audio CDs on a PS3. Now as you have one lying around, why not give it a try. If you find it lacking in any way, invest! The weekend is coming - that gives you something to do. :p

Hello Folks,

Has anyone here tried playing Audio CD's from a PS3? How does the onboard DAC sound? I have an old PS3 Super Slim lying and gathering dust so was thinking if I can use it to play my Audio CDs from back in the day. Of late I was going through my audio CD's and I am having an urge to play them again. If the PS3 can be put to use then great or else I was thinking maybe I should buy a Marantz CD5005?

I would like to connect the PS3/ Marantz CD5005 to my Edifier S1000DB speakers.
Of course PS3 is one of the best player for acd, give it a try and you wont be disappointed. There are plenty of mods available over the net to make it similar to high end players. Try to use the coaxial or analog out, official is a bit edgy.

You don't need anything more than a PS3 if its for casual listening. The loading is a bit noisy and if the unit runs hot, then it can add some noise (fan) from the unit but I doubt if that would happen with CD playback. Also; playback is not instant when you turn it on as it runs an operating system, next to no track playback control other than hitting the joystick and hope that it does what you want it to do. I would not waste money on a Marantz CDP, unless you get one super cheap and used. The PS3 will do just fine.

Thank-you so much guys for your input regarding this! I'm going to bring out the PS3 from the box it's hiding in for a while now and give it a spin over the weekend. I'm now looking forward to listening to how it sounds.

Will report back here.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back