PSB - Why no love?

I used to have a pair of PSB T5 FS a few years ago. Very good speakers for the money. I used to pair then with an Onkyo Integrated. It's a great setup for anyone getting started into the hobby and would be quite good for many people who would like to stay in that range.

Ever since I had also seen many people with PSB speakers in many living room setups. That may have been about 10 years ago. But as others have mentioned, there seems to have been a drop in the marketing of the brand in recent years which is a pity.

PSB packs a lot of good value in their products. They deserve to be mentioned more.

Quite true Nikhil. These speakers are a rare find, almost like a inner circle/illuminati scene.. Those who know and have heard them, they know what they are capable of. But like any other consumer product, what's available in the stores to audition plays a very big role. Most dealers and distributors don't carry them and hence there isnt enough traction for them in the market. Top it with the reserved approach of Psb AFA marketing and promotion is concerned, they are a bit slow on the draw. That sort of pull marketing strategy doesn't work when there isn't enough buzz around the product.

What I find really ironic is that while people hold stereophile and the likes high up and Psbs almost always get positive reviews, the marketing and availability aspect is just not there..

On the contrary, despite the likes of Klipsch pushing hard and creating a consumer brand of product, they too are seeing declining sales. But what they did right was to reinvent the entire line bringing back retro (heresy, la scalas), reviving the brand.. Even Elacs have done similar with new products focusing on a modern look.

Unless PSB reinvents the product, no matter how good they sound.. They won't sell like crazy.. But for whoever has sampled their smooth sound, they know what a well engineered pro sounding affordable product 'can' sound like..

Finders keepers eh?

And to my mind, if a product aint good enough for users to rave about it, well...
Agree with you on the lackadaisical approach from PSB

But I would beg to differ that if there isn't much buzz, the product ain't worth it.. That's like saying off the shelf streamers are better than PiBased streamers.. Just because only fewer people know what PiBased streamers are able to deliver, it doesn't mean it's bad product. Enough and many examples of this in the audio world.. That's just my view, agree to disagree?

Agree with you on the lackadaisical approach from PSB

But I would beg to differ that if there isn't much buzz, the product ain't worth it.. That's like saying off the shelf streamers are better than PiBased streamers.. Just because only fewer people know what PiBased streamers are able to deliver, it doesn't mean it's bad product. Enough and many examples of this in the audio world.. That's just my view, agree to disagree?
Thats quite the binary choice. However, I will both agree and disagree to a certain extent :) .

An example from my own experience are the Mission QX2s. There was not even a whisper about these till almost 3 years after availability in India. I finally got a chance to listen to them last year and was simply blown away by the VFM that it offered - i would say the best compared to any other speaker below 1L by a huge margin if you consider all things including build quality. I wrote about my experience on this forum when there were absolutely none (actually one where the person had not set it up correctly and the resultant sound was weak) and an FM questioned my take on these speakers, stating that if these were indeed that good, they'd be sold out everywhere and people would be talking about them, to which my response was that any product needs to have visibility, either through professional and user reviews or marketing. Even then, a product might fail. My take on the Missions encouraged others to take the plunge and when a number of people started raving about it on HFV, suddenly it was sold out on a number of websites including hifimart.

I don't expect the larger consumer market to give two hoots - they are happy with their bluetooth speakers which peak at Marshall or Bose. But in a forum like HFV which caters to this very niche market and where people talk extensively about their speakers, to not rave about the speakers that they own indicates, to my mind, while they may be very good, they don't particularly stand out in any way. Poeple always want the best at something i.e. either they are looking at particular attributes that a speaker excels in or it should be the best value overall at a certain price category. When i look at user reviews of PSB on this forum, i don't see much on either aspects.

In fact, your very example about raspberry pi streamers bolsters the abovesaid take on the matter i would imagine. While it would be a bit much to expect the general consumer market to care about them when streamers from companies which market them aggressively to and have better visibility amongst the larger consumer market lead to higher buzz and sales overall, if you look at forums which cater to the AV niche, there's a huge community of users, both old and new, who rave about raspberry pi based streamers.

I had no clue about either Rasperrby Pi based streamers, much less Allo devices though i'd read hundreds, if not thousands, of popular AV magazines (i've been an avid reader since 2008) and browsed around online hifi stores till the time I came across this forum, which was last year i.e. 2020. The user reviews encouraged me to take the plunge and next thing you know, Im raving about it!

Plus, history is witness to plenty of other products which were targeted at the larger consumer market and were very good in their own right but were not succesful, the Sony minidisc being a good example to my mind. It didnt have the requisite quality for audiophiles and they were not VFM either for the larger consumer market since the cost of adoption was high in addition to certain smaller issues which led to its ultimate failure.

Last edited:
Unless PSB reinvents the product, no matter how good they sound.. They won't sell like crazy.. But for whoever has sampled their smooth sound, they know what a well engineered pro sounding affordable product 'can' sound like..

PSB has had a change in D&D recently. That could be one of the reasons for the low publicity.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back