Pune HFV Meet 2011 >> Mini-review /Observations of various gear-combinations

sonosphere

Mini-review (Asus Xonar ST Soundcard + Norge-1000 amp + Wharfedate 10.1 speaker)

Hi everybody,
Continuing from the Pune HFV meet 2011 thread here... >> http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/20230-pune-hfv-meet-2011-a-14.html#post309659 ... there have been some requests, that the audition-observations of various gear-combinations, should be posted in "Review" section... (previously it was in continuation of 2010-Meet thread, in "AV Lounge" section).

Considering above, I have created this mini-review for Demo# 01. (other demo's will have separate mini-review) As these observations are of summarised nature, I wouldn't call them "review"... OTOH the same may qualify as a "mini-review", and help some folks in finding what gear-combination should be their first purchase /next upgrade.

Demo# 01 in progress
img2723c.jpg

Demo# 01 close up
demo01b.jpg

Observation Report
demo012011.jpg

For those new to above Observation report...
- Explaination of criterias used in audition, is given in Observation feedback form here >> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0...EyOTItYWFiY2ZiNTZlYTRi&hl=en&authkey=CI2L5P8H
- Since all the observation feedback forms were submitted as anonymous, the actual HFV IDs were substituted with Sample ID from "A" "B" "C" onwards .
- The "1" numeral you see in the form indicates the tickmark that was made under that criteria. So all tickmarks get added at the bottom to compare which criteria got max tickmarks

Observation-Conclusion:
If you read the statistics, the gear-combo appears to be generally warm and satisfactory. There are some instances of conflicting observations between different observers (a fairly common occurence in our hobby) The personal-remarks are more critisizing about the performance, compared to what can be understood from statistics. You don't see anything like "a big thumbs up" for this combo.

My 2 cents...
The gear combination was not complimentary. Starting from source... my Xonar soundcard was a modded to sound neutral, having recently changed it's "Buffer Opamp" to Audio-GD "Earth". The Norge itself is little warm sounding. The Wharfe 10.1 are again warm sounding. Though the Xonar is good in treble end details, the Wharfe couldn't deliver them (Wharfe entry level is not renowned for details). Not surprisingly the combo sounded overly warm and just about ok.

It should be noted that similar combo in previous meet i.e Norge 2060 + Wharfe 9.2 was termed "excellent entry level" when the source was... Marantz 5001.

Apart from my opinion above, I request other meet-members to chip in with their's too, and add value to this mini-review.

(Mini-reviews of other demo's will be posted soon, as separate mini-reviews)

Last edited:
Thanks for the good start Sono. In observation report, amp is mentioned as 2060...

Thanks Sono for getting the 1st Gears combo review details out for all to see.
I concur with your views that the Set-up did not do anything at all for me too & found the 10.1's were the weakest link in this chain of gear combo.

This was not my first date with the wharfs, and somehow they continue the trend of failing to impress me. Totally agree with Denom here and think the wharfs were the weaker link.

@Sonosphere: The (relatively) neutral Audio-GDs have actually helped the setup deliver some decency, the otherwise musical stock Xonar would have sounded even muddier with this setup.

Hey Sono - if u r writing separate review for each setup, I have a suggestion: the title could be "Pune HFV, Mini Review: names of equipment". For example, the thread title for this one could be "Pune HFV, Mini Review: Asus Xonar + Norge 1000 + Wharf 10.1".

This would make it more relevant for others to know what the thread is about.

Viki

Of the Whaferdales I have heard till date the 9.2 has impresses the most.

Now one test we should have done- the Xonar has a software grapic equalizer. If the wave form is adjusted does it significantly affect/correct the tonal balance of the complete system?- Possibly Sonosphere could try it out on his system & report.

Of the Whaferdales I have heard till date the 9.2 has impresses the most.

Now one test we should have done- the Xonar has a software grapic equalizer. If the wave form is adjusted does it significantly affect/correct the tonal balance of the complete system?- Possibly Sonosphere could try it out on his system & report.

I agree with you .
the Wharfy 9.2 bookshelves really impresses considering the Price point.
Infact on a whole I find the 9 series to be a tad better than the 10 series.

Hey Sono - if u r writing separate review for each setup, I have a suggestion: the title could be "Pune HFV, Mini Review: names of equipment". For example, the thread title for this one could be "Pune HFV, Mini Review: Asus Xonar + Norge 1000 + Wharf 10.1".

This would make it more relevant for others to know what the thread is about.

Viki

Hi Viki,
Reg your suggestion, the same thought occurred to me... but AFTER I had submitted the first two paragraphs of intro, having the present thread heading.

You can see the first post title is "Mini-review (Asus Xonar ST Soundcard + Norge-1000 amp + Wharfedate 10.1 speaker)" I tried changing the thread title later to post-title, but it doesn't work.

For new mini-reviews I'll follow the aforementioned post-title as format.

... Possibly Sonosphere could try it out on his system & report.

Hi Sridhar,
I have already tried something similar using EQ to improve the response of system in my signature. I find that tweaking within +/- 3dB of of particular freq band can improve things... but if you do more than that, the tone of individual instrument sounds unnatural. (BTW the Foobar eq gives better results than Xonar's eq)

(if you increase bass too much, the bass component of vocals, violins, rhythm guitars also gets over-accentuated (and vice-versa), and purpose of authentic sounding hi-fi system is lost)

Yes, if the overall sound is unbearable due to dominance of a particular freq band, then by all means use drastic EQ to tame it... however you'll pretty soon get tired and think of upgrading or reduce your music listening period.

Regds,
Sonosphere

I forgot to mention the owners of the gears in this combo (just in case someone wants to send queries to them)... they are as follows:

1. Source: Asus Xonar ST soundcard by Sonosphere
2. Amp: Norge-1000 by Santy
3. Speaker: Wharfedale 10.1 by Mubeen

Regds,
Sonosphere

Back