Puritan Audio Labs - A surprise waiting for independent house owner

bornfi

My system is powered by Puritan Audio Labs PSM156. In another forum, someone posted about another product from Puritan called Ground Master stating his surprise on how it impacted his system. As I too have a very common disease of we audiophiles of 'itch' and since the cost involved wasn't too high, I went ahead with it.

I called an electrician and had him push an 8' grounding rod into the earth and then installed the Ground Master. The outcome is such that I am forced to post it here so that others can benefit from it. The system calmed down and this silence between notes has a huge impact on the overall listening experience. A type of product that I can wholeheartedly recommend and as the subject says, if you are an independent house owner (because you need the grounding rod pushed in carefully without damaging any water line or something that is buried under), you are in for a surprise.

The other reason for posting here is that the product is from the UK and is very small to carry avoiding complications of customs and all.

My system is powered by Puritan Audio Labs PSM156. In another forum, someone posted about another product from Puritan called Ground Master stating his surprise on how it impacted his system. As I too have a very common disease of we audiophiles of 'itch' and since the cost involved wasn't too high, I went ahead with it.

I called an electrician and had him push an 8' grounding rod into the earth and then installed the Ground Master. The outcome is such that I am forced to post it here so that others can benefit from it. The system calmed down and this silence between notes has a huge impact on the overall listening experience. A type of product that I can wholeheartedly recommend and as the subject says, if you are an independent house owner (because you need the grounding rod pushed in carefully without damaging any water line or something that is buried under), you are in for a surprise.

The other reason for posting here is that the product is from the UK and is very small to carry avoiding complications of customs and all.
Harmonie audio of Kolkata is official distributor for purutan labs in india and their rates are very reasonable if not same as UK prices

<snip>as the subject says, if you are an independent house owner (because you need the grounding rod pushed in carefully without damaging any water line or something that is buried under), you are in for a surprise.
They have a product called "Ground Master 'City'" that is meant for folks not having the option of having a dedicated and isolated ground. This product just plugs into the wall socket.

They have a product called "Ground Master 'City'" that is meant for folks not having the option of having a dedicated and isolated ground. This product just plugs into the wall socket.
Yup, that was the intention too, to draw every hobbyists attention towards this brand. Very effective and competitive pricing.

Ive been curious about the Puritan audio power products for sometime now. Only ever read good things about them. And compared to the competition, they seem be priced right too. Will probably reach out to their Indian dealer at some point of time, once the other experiments are sorted.

@rikhav thanks for sharing the Indian distributor details, will probably ping them sometime.

I have experienced this too. In my apartment a major overhaul of electric panel was carried out and two deep (3 meter) ground pit was dug with plenty of salt and chemicals 6 months ago. Two very thick copper rod was then inserted in the pit and two independent ground strip were connected to the electric panels. There was huge difference in SQ and sound stage after this. They definitely sound very different before and after this process. Shall post images in the evening if possible.

I'm wondering how it will help me. My Marantz AVR and REL subwoofer use only 2 pin plugs. There's no earthing line going to them

I use this in my system

The DC version. Very nice product.

Power has to be the first experiment as every other experiment result is coloured by power. My suggestion, Grounding is the absolute first thing to do if you have access to an option from your house .
While on this subject, I was wondering whether the grounding or other attributes of power would have an impact on the performance of turntables, where i would think that just stable speed ( absence of wow and flutter) matter rather than the line noise. Any opinions subjective or objective?

While on this subject, I was wondering whether the grounding or other attributes of power would have an impact on the performance of turntables, where i would think that just stable speed ( absence of wow and flutter) matter rather than the line noise. Any opinions subjective or objective?
Some Turntables like Garrard*01 /Lenco/Thorens 124 are more so since they are AC motors . while grounding may not matter these are dependent on frequency ( speed variation) and the Voltage ( torque variation) which can influence the smooth functioning of the platter and hence an impact on sound quality
Those that use DC motors are perhaps less susceptible although logically cannot think of a reason of dependence.

Last edited:
In India TN-S system is supposed to be followed where the Neutral and mains earth are tied at the source (mains junction box).
But I have been made to understand that in Tamilnadu TT system is followed which advocates that the earthing is isolated from Neutral.
So the TT system advocated the RCD is compulsory to monitor and trip when stray current exceeds the threshold.

In-effect, if your's is TN-S, a dedicated earth is redundant.

US follows a totally different topology and so does UK.

I really do not know what these above gadgets do and are their application universal irrespective of the earthing topology followed in each country.

For example in TN-S systems, when you run a dedicated earth, it has to be shunted to the earth at the source mains.

All is very confusing to me.

various earthing systems.jpg

TN-S vs TT system.jpg

Last edited:
US follows a totally different topology and so does UK.

I really do not know what these above gadgets do and are their application universal irrespective of the earthing topology followed in each country.

I am no expert at this so, please don't shoot me :).

This device as I understood, targets certain frequencies and sucks them out to this new earth rod and by placing this box, you do not mess with/disturb the existing earth standard.

I also want to caution others not to simply place another earth rod without this device because that could potentially, make your whole system a new earth and if its path provides least resistance than your original earth, that is a dangerous situation.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back