Putting together a two-channel system with vintage components

wishihadtubes

A friend who liked the music system I'd put together using vintage components bought from a flea market decided to go down the same route, with a little help from me, of course.

So we hit the flea market one cold winter's day and began scouring the shops that usually stock vintage audio equipment. At the very first shop, we got lucky as I spotted a pair of speakers lying behind the counter. The speakers - a pair of Philips Type 22 RH 496 (a three-way model) made in Finland - looked fine except for a large chunk of wood missing from the top of one box.
The shop-owner had nothing to test the speakers with but we decided to take a chance anyway and picked them up for $29.

At another shop, I spotted an unusual looking amplifier lying beside a stack of VCRs. Turned out to be a Sony T-88. A perforated metal strip on top of the amplifier was badly dented but everything else looked fine. A little bit of haggling and we snagged it for $21.

For CD playback, we picked up a Sony CDP-212 - a plain vanilla player which was in very good nick - for $14. No remote or digital outputs but not a worry because my friend wanted to put together a very basic set-up.

My friend also wanted something to play back vinyl as her family had a large collection of vinyl. I had earlier picked up a Aiwa PX-E855, a very basic fully automatic turntable with a built-in phono stage, for $29. That would be used to complete the system.

Took the amplifier and speakers home and fired them up, using the Aiwa turntable as a source. Great sound right off but the volume controls of the amp sounded scratchy due to the built-up dirt.

Moreover, the speakers had plain white wires coming out of the box and there was no way to figure out the polarity. Luckily I had an Avia audio-video test DVD, and using the test to check whether speakers are in phase, I was able to figure out the polarity using my AV receiver.

The next step was calling in my friendly neighbourhood carpenter to come in and fix the speakers and give them a fresh coat of polish. He filled in all the dents and scratches and soon had them looking gorgeous in a few hours. The wood panels of the amp got a fresh coat of polish too.

A few squirts of Philips contact cleaner got rid of the scratchy sounds of the volume control. The dented perforated metal strip (for ventilation) was straightened and glued back in.

Next, I opened up the speakers and hooked up thicker wire to the crossover inside. (The original plan was to fit binding posts but that had to be ditched as the posts were not long enough to pass through the thick board on the back of the speaker.)

Hooked everything up and spun a CD. First impressions: a pretty good sounding system - nice warm mid-range, clean highs, adequate bass but definitely not the sort that'll shake the room.

Attachments

• 12012011072.jpg
    12012011072.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 15012011078.jpg
    15012011078.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Project completed. Went to my friend's home and installed the system and we spent some happy hours spinning vinyl and CDs and even playing MP3s from an iPod. My friend has a spacious living room and the system truly rocks.

BTW, I was wrong - this system can deliver very healthy bass. Played Phil Collins' debut solo LP "Face Value" which has powerful drums on some tracks and the system amazed us with the amount of bass it can deliver. The speakers didn't distort even when we really turned up the volume and they can go amazingly low.

My friend is one happy camper today!

Last edited:
Very nice. It must feel really good to restore a system on such a small budget and get nice sound out of it. If you have time, some more pictures of the system in its final setup would be nice to see as well.
This is a really good project and makes me feel like trying something similar for a bedroom system for another friend of mine. If only I had more time ... :-(

Nice thread!
Wishhadtubes, which flea market did you get these speakers/amp/TT from? Judging by pricing in $ it appears to be abroad.

Hi Denom
am one of 2 Indian journalists posted in Islamabad, picked up the gear at the local flea market, where I've picked up several turntables and LPs (each for 10 bucks Indian).
Cheers

Hi Wishhadtubes,

Thanks for the info, hope you continue many more such finds in the flea market there & share them in this thread.

Stay Safe!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back