PV8 with PS3 -- Some Problem while Playing DVDs

sanjub22

Hi Guys ,

Hope you are doing well. Opening this thread as I am not receiving replies to my older one and that has become quite irrelevent on this topics.

Anyway, as you suggested , I am a proud owner of PV8 and its just going awesome. To enhance my HD experiecne I also bought a PS3 and hooked with my 5 years old Sony HTiB DAV DZ100 and its going goo so far. When it is Blue Ray Disks , the aforesaid setup is amazing however for DVD I am facing some problems for which I want your help. I have connected PS3 with PV8 with a HDMI cable and PS3 with HTiB with component cable as DZ100 is an older model and dont have any digitial or HDMI interface. The problems I am facing are ( While playing DVD only )

1. At Low volume the speaker response is not very good. But once you increase the sound its rocking even on my old speakers.

2. PS3 is region locked perhaps. It can only play Region 0 DVDs. Any solution how can I play DVDs with higher regions ( like 2/3 ) .

3. With the purchase of PV8, I have received some 50 movie pack and all of them are in Divx format. And I am experiencing a strange problem here. The PS3 is treating the disk as Data Disk and playing only the first chapter/frame of the movie ( 30 to 40 minutes). If I try to do a backup or copy it is copying only that part but at the same time showing correct size of the disk. I dont have a divx supported DVD player right now so I couldnt cross check but every disk in working fine in my laptop/old desktop with some free downloadable divx player . This is applicable for every divx movie I have.
By the way for the DVDs with neutral region it is working absolutely fine with a good amount of upscale.

Guys any solution for this .Am I missing any setup here. What I feel is playing DVD is not as smooth as playing Blue Ray on PS3.

1. At Low volume the speaker response is not very good. But once you increase the sound its rocking even on my old speakers.

I will let others answer the other questions, but between the DVD abd Blu-Ray, you are getting lower volume of sound from DVDs? This could be because the DVDs could be recorded with lower gain as compared to Blu-Ray discs. Many times when I connect my DVD Player to the TV directly, I have to raise the volume of the TV quite a lot. We have this problem even amongst CDs.

See if your PS3 has ways of setting the initial gain (volume) independently for DVDs and Blu-Ray. If it is there, it will be shown as dB. If not, maybe you can set the HTIB to a slightly higher initial volume, and reduce it manually when you play a Blu-Ray.

There is nothing wrong with your system. This has more to do with the way DVDs, Blu-Ray and other media are recorded.

Cheers

Last edited:
1. Since you have connected your PS3 to your audio system with normal stereo cables (PS3 has HDMI, Optical and analogue stereo outputs available) you will not be able to enjoy full audio efficiency of BDs and even DVDs. At the most you would be listening to them in ProLogic mode.

2. PS3 is not multi-region for both BDs and DVDs. Though you can hope for a software update in the near future.

3. Check the firmware version of your PS3. The latest is 2.70 which allows sequential play of video files from external sources which should take care
of playing your Divx files.

4. PS3 has a built-in volume control (software based) which now has 9 steps.

5. Firmware version 2.70 also has "normalisation" function which can level volumes across audio files.

6. Also, choose LPCM as your audio output (in PS3 Settings) as against Bitstream.

7. Under audio ouput options in the settings, choose analogue stereo mode.

I hope this would help you in some way.

PS: To overcome all your problems in one stroke, get Yamaha 663 (just kidding).

Warm Regds / Shailender

Hi Guys ,

Hope you are doing well. Opening this thread as I am not receiving replies to my older one and that has become quite irrelevent on this topics.

Anyway, as you suggested , I am a proud owner of PV8 and its just going awesome. To enhance my HD experiecne I also bought a PS3 and hooked with my 5 years old Sony HTiB DAV DZ100 and its going goo so far. When it is Blue Ray Disks , the aforesaid setup is amazing however for DVD I am facing some problems for which I want your help. I have connected PS3 with PV8 with a HDMI cable and PS3 with HTiB with component cable as DZ100 is an older model and dont have any digitial or HDMI interface. The problems I am facing are ( While playing DVD only )

2. PS3 is region locked perhaps. It can only play Region 0 DVDs. Any solution how can I play DVDs with higher regions ( like 2/3 ) .

3. With the purchase of PV8, I have received some 50 movie pack and all of them are in Divx format. And I am experiencing a strange problem here. The PS3 is treating the disk as Data Disk and playing only the first chapter/frame of the movie ( 30 to 40 minutes). If I try to do a backup or copy it is copying only that part but at the same time showing correct size of the disk. I dont have a divx supported DVD player right now so I couldnt cross check but every disk in working fine in my laptop/old desktop with some free downloadable divx player . This is applicable for every divx movie I have.
By the way for the DVDs with neutral region it is working absolutely fine with a good amount of upscale.

Guys any solution for this .Am I missing any setup here. What I feel is playing DVD is not as smooth as playing Blue Ray on PS3.

first of all welcome to the pv8 proud owners club - i need not say more about the PQ of this piece. HD and SD content looks great and no point at paying 30k more for a full HD TV with lack of HD content (later a HD projector would be a good buy for guys with a HT edge).

Anyway coming to your query

1. Ps3 is region locked for Blueray (for DVD i think its possible but difficult - need to go through the linux route AFAIK).You can though rip the dvds via anydvd and make it region specific to what you want - but thats a pain. Wait for some time - some kind hearted "anti sony policy" ps3 lover will come out with something like that. BTW i use my ps3 as my media center. Plays divx movies, dvds, mp3, audio cd etc. Sound out though optical. :yahoo:
2. Regarding your query with sound in HTiB - if you had connected the ps3 via optical then you would have experienced higher output (happens in my case with a Onkyo 606 - component vs optical) - but with lack of digital inputs you are in a fix. So live with it. Next time no HTiB but a component system or something from Onkyo HTiB catalogue.

Thanks for your replies guys, I will definitely check my firmware today. But my confusion is if the problem exists with firmware then how it is detecting the dvd and also playing some initial moments ( avg half an hour for every dvd). @Suprateep have you even encounterd any situation like this while playing divx.

Thanks for your replies guys, I will definitely check my firmware today. But my confusion is if the problem exists with firmware then how it is detecting the dvd and also playing some initial moments ( avg half an hour for every dvd). @Suprateep have you even encounterd any situation like this while playing divx.

okay lets clarify that I do not have a ps3 and its on my list (can wait because a stereo amp is up there right now). And no the ps3 does play divx files well (because i used my pen drive loaded with 4 movies and everything went well from SlumMill to Dark Knight all played well.

Update your firmware buddy - that should help. even certain games won't work without any updated firmware. I remember we bought a couple of games and fired it on the ps3 - would not play. Had to download a 64mb file from the ps3 site by a pesky usb modem and finally could play the game after 4 hours.

An since you are using a stereo RCA connection - sound output will be low. Using optical makes a world of difference - provided your HTIB has optical in. (check). For my case from normal setting of 45-50 for volume control in onnkyo 606 it came down to 30-35. SQ improved too (minute and not audiophile quality though).

Also just check if the files are single files (in the CD) or there may be some writing issues on the discs. Ps3 plays divx absolutely fine.

okay lets clarify that I do not have a ps3 and its on my list (can wait because a stereo amp is up there right now). And no the ps3 does play divx files well (because i used my pen drive loaded with 4 movies and everything went well from SlumMill to Dark Knight all played well.

Update your firmware buddy - that should help. even certain games won't work without any updated firmware. I remember we bought a couple of games and fired it on the ps3 - would not play. Had to download a 64mb file from the ps3 site by a pesky usb modem and finally could play the game after 4 hours.

An since you are using a stereo RCA connection - sound output will be low. Using optical makes a world of difference - provided your HTIB has optical in. (check). For my case from normal setting of 45-50 for volume control in onnkyo 606 it came down to 30-35. SQ improved too (minute and not audiophile quality though).

Also just check if the files are single files (in the CD) or there may be some writing issues on the discs. Ps3 plays divx absolutely fine.

Thanks Suprateep, I have downloaded 2.70 and it is playing divx without any problem. But there are some problems in the discs itself which I was referring at the begining. There are total 50 movies given by Panasonic with my PV8 and it is written in the box that these are divx files. But among those only 2 movies are in divx format which are running fine but the rests are on avi format where this problem is happening. I have checked with 4 players and at least 6/7 softwares , each of them is playing only first 30/40 minutes although the size indicating that the entire movie is there. So I thought it is a writing issue. Am thinking to send a hard copy letter to Panasonic , not for these movies in fact , will request them not to spoil the reputation of Brand Vierra for this cheap quality of cds ( all Moser Beyrs )

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back