Q Acoustics 3030i - Mild Tweeter Damage?

vj_box

Dear members,

So after a dormant HiFi phase, I managed to start with an upgrade and got the 3030is replacing the 3020s for the front. Just got them from HiFi Mart. Immediate impression is that they sound more bassy due to the obvious larger driver. I am not yet fully convinced with the sound out of the box and reckon I need to give them the run in time to make them sound better. Not sure if its my OCD but I noticed a very small smear like shape in the tweeter in one of the speaker. It doesn't look like any sort of damage but I can notice a slight shade in there. Given the new speakers it obviously made me slightly worried if its going to have an effect on the sound. I tried to compare the SQ from both the speakers and they seem to play even. But when I try to become more anal, I tend to hear some minor difference in highs between the speakers. Again is it totally a unnecessary concern ? Should I report this to HiFi Mart customer service?

Pictures of the new member and a closeup of the tweeter. I don't think the ding like thing is even showing up but if you observe closely you can see how the shade changes in the top left of the dome tweeter (inner)

I will post some detailed impressions after a few days of run in.

IMG_4495.jpgIMG_4490.jpg
Thanks!

Dear members,

So after a dormant HiFi phase, I managed to start with an upgrade and got the 3030is replacing the 3020s for the front. Just got them from HiFi Mart. Immediate impression is that they sound more bassy due to the obvious larger driver. I am not yet fully convinced with the sound out of the box and reckon I need to give them the run in time to make them sound better. Not sure if its my OCD but I noticed a very small smear like shape in the tweeter in one of the speaker. It doesn't look like any sort of damage but I can notice a slight shade in there. Given the new speakers it obviously made me slightly worried if its going to have an effect on the sound. I tried to compare the SQ from both the speakers and they seem to play even. But when I try to become more anal, I tend to hear some minor difference in highs between the speakers. Again is it totally a unnecessary concern ? Should I report this to HiFi Mart customer service?

Pictures of the new member and a closeup of the tweeter. I don't think the ding like thing is even showing up but if you observe closely you can see how the shade changes in the top left of the dome tweeter (inner)

I will post some detailed impressions after a few days of run in.

View attachment 60945View attachment 60944
Thanks!
I would report this to hifimart

Well, congratulations on the new speakers. Regarding the dimple, yes, better to let the seller know of it. That said, I doubt it would be a cause for any concern.

MaSh

@vj_box - congratulations on your speakers! As suggested by many - do report it to the seller, as you paid for a new, flawless piece of equipment.

However, just to clarify - isn't the dent on the dust cap of the tweeter, sorry I couldn't definitively make it out from the images. As far as I know, the dust caps should have absolutely no impact on the SQ.

Do exchange the pair. I'm a proud owner and more than happy with the overall sound.
Thanks Souravin. I am getting the replacements. Hifi Mart promptly addressed the concern and picked up the speakers in exchange for a fresh new pair.

@vj_box - congratulations on your speakers! As suggested by many - do report it to the seller, as you paid for a new, flawless piece of equipment.

However, just to clarify - isn't the dent on the dust cap of the tweeter, sorry I couldn't definitively make it out from the images. As far as I know, the dust caps should have absolutely no impact on the SQ.
Thanks Chander. Yes as advised by members I am getting the replacements. The dent or more like a ding or a smear was on top of the dome tweeter (inner part) and I was able to sense some differences in highs between the speakers. Like you said, it ought to be flawless and being a fan of Q Acoustics sound, I want to make sure its pristine.

Hello members, sorry I couldnt manage to update the thread. So the speakers were promptly replaced with a fresh new pair by HiFi Mart and the new pair seems clean and boy I am enjoying the sound signature of the 3030is. Paired it with the CA Amp and the sound is full, rounded with a nice heft. Makes you want to listen more and its hardly run in. Its a great step up from the 3020s. Now onto upgrading the AVR next to SR6015 soon!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back