Quad 22L2 or AAD Reference Silver-5

Kpankaj

I'm new here; just joined.

I'm looking to upgrade my 6-year old Wharfedale Evo 30 floorstanders to either the Quad 22L2 or the AAD Reference Silver-5. These will be for stereo listening only. No sub.

I haven't been able to find too much detail on the AADs, except at the Phil Jones site. Does anyone have an opinion on the AADs, and what would you prefer (Quad or AAD), and why.

Many thanks.

AADs are my fav as far as movies goes, though not for music, as they are a bit heavy on audio. Did you auditioned them, what made you choose them (just curious). I am sure you will notice the heaviness in music when you audition them, specially after owning wharfs, which are a bit subtle. For some it works for some it doesn't. I think after owning wharfs you will like Quad more than AAD in music ......

PS :: BTW welcome to the HIFI world ... :)

I am using Quad22L for the past 4 plus year , quite happy with it. Never heard the AAD till date. What is your amplifier and Source, that will have more impact in sound quality.

Thank you for all the responses.

I should have given more data:

Currently I use an old Yamaha RX-V740 AVR to drive the stereo Evo 30 speakers in the living room. I use the same amp to also drive my home theatre in the bedroom, previously Evo 8s, with a Wharfdale Diamond 10 sub. I just updated the Evo 8s with the Quad 11L2 and L2 Centre. I wanted to upgrade the living room Evo 30s as well, hence the post.

I am looking at replacing the Yamaha with the Marantz SR-5005, to drive both the living room and the bedroom. No space or desire for a separate stereo amp. My sources are a Pioneer SACD, but mostly Internet Radio, via multiple Squeezeboxes. So mostly high bit-rate mp3s, and lossless FLAC and AAC.

I mostly listen to soft rock and easy listening stuff: Moody Blues, U2, Beatles, some jazz etc.

I wanted to change the sound somewhat. I like the focus and soundstage of the Quads, hence I was looking at the 22L2 for the living room, no sub. But I was intrigued by the AAD Silver 5. Brighter than the Quad, in a nice way, but less bass response. I cant use a sub in the living room, due to space issues.

I'm not clear what sam9 means the music is 'heavy'. Please clarify.

I can't find enough data, reviews on the net on the AAD, so I wanted to know if anyone could help differentiate the Quad and the AAD in adjectival terms.

Lastly, would the Marantz 5005 be a good match.

Many thanks.

Well as all say audio is subjective, its tough to put in to words the difference one experiences. To put it in a nut shell, I liked wharfs more than AAD in music and vice versa in movies. Quad was somewhere in between. By heavy I mean (again for me) AAD's over all music tone was more bass oriented with less emphasis on mids, where as with Wharfs mids were more prominent, making it better in music for me. I am not sure how you like your music tone, but I will rate wharfs over AAD in music ......... that is why its always important to audition before deciding.
BTW This is wharfs 10.5 I am talking about.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate your insight.

Was this the AAD Reference Silver 5 you heard? I felt it was brighter than the Quad 22L2, with exquisite highs. Clear as a bell.

I heard both side by side. I feel I'm safe with the Quads, and wanted to be bold and try something new. Hence. Are there any reviews or forums for AAD you might know of? Their website is aadsound.com, and it will redirect automatically to the philjones site (Phil is the designer).

Do you think the Marantz 5005 will be a good match?

Thanks.

Consider the Monitor Audio silver series tower.. I think they're highly musical in their own way and has received some great reviews from all over.. I strictly advise you to audition these once before buying the quads.. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate your insight.

Was this the AAD Reference Silver 5 you heard? I felt it was brighter than the Quad 22L2, with exquisite highs. Clear as a bell.

I heard both side by side. I feel I'm safe with the Quads, and wanted to be bold and try something new. Hence. Are there any reviews or forums for AAD you might know of? Their website is aadsound.com, and it will redirect automatically to the philjones site (Phil is the designer).

Do you think the Marantz 5005 will be a good match?

Thanks.

yep reference silver is what I am talking about ...... I doubt you will find any review on AAD on hifi, they are not very popular, infact I find only me in the AAD club who was mesmerized by its quality while playing movie sound track. I think you will be safe with QUADs as you said (for both movies and music), but if you have auditioned both side by side on music and find AAD to be better there is no reason not to go with them, technically AAD is at par with any high end speakers today, it all counts on spk signature, which differs, not only among brands but among 2 different spks of same model and company as well, and hence the emphasis on auditioning.

Lastly marantz 5005 as an AVR is good, I have not personally auditioned any movie or music on this AVR, so cant comment as such but the thumb rule says marantz is more music oriented and so if the usage of the setup is more of music listening (2.0) marantz is the way to go. Yahama, Onkyo lies in between. If its more of movie viewing DENON, NAD all the way .....

Hope this helps
Sammy

Sammy, many thanks for your inputs!

Re: the AADs. Would you say their build quality is on par with the Quads/Wharfs? The reason I ask, I live next to the ocean, so everything I own corrodes big-time in a few years :( and thus longevity is indeed an issue...

Cheers.

Re: the AADs. Would you say their build quality is on par with the Quads/Wharfs? The reason I ask, I live next to the ocean, so everything I own corrodes big-time in a few years :( and thus longevity is indeed an issue...

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

@pankaj : You can use Iso Alcohol( pure spirit) and clean the connectors once in a month or so. this will help the equipment / connectors from rust and corrodes.

Sammy, many thanks for your inputs!

Cheers.

I did not find any difference in the built quality between wharfs and AAD, how ever wharf were definitely better looking ... you know esthetically ... :)

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back