Do you owe it to yourself to check out the latest ESL designs?

Jazzman53

Do you owe it to yourself to check out the latest electrostatic speaker designs?

Ahh... YES.

No speaker is perfect but I wish everyone could hear the latest ESL designs.
I'm sure many would find their sound addictive.

I will discuss both commercial and DIY designs, but first I must confess my bias favoring ESLs, which I've championed for years, and in particular my own DIY design.

In my experience, it's far easier for a DIY'er to build a world-class ESL than a world-class conventional speaker. I don't mean that it's less work (the labor is horrendous)-- just that a good result is more certain because you start with less baggage.

I can list as many cons as pros for ESLs but the pros are really good and the cons are [mostly] not terribly hard to remedy in a good design. Some manufacturers mitigate the cons quite well and the latest offerings are better than ever.

Pros:
1. The ultra-low moving mass diaphragm is so effectively dampened by the greater air mass it's coupled to, that it simply doesn't ring.
2. Line-source configuration gives really good imaging.
3. Contrary to popular belief and the commercial offerings, DIY designs can tailor dispersion patterns as desired or even provide switch-selectable wide & narrow dispersion modes (costly but do-able).
4. No crossover-- or a hybrid can use a single crossover down low where it's less audible.
5. Typically excellent/superior coherence, resolution & transient response.

Cons:
1. The diaphragm's drum-head resonance is a nasty-loud distortion that's difficult to mask.
2. Anemic bass unless the panel is huge, and drum-head resonance can render it boomy & sluggish.
3. Hybrids add the bass but few achieve a seamless blending of the woofer & stat panel.
4. Narrow dispersion which some listeners find objectionable (i.e. "head-in-a-vise" effect).
5. Capacitive load & impedance as low 1 Ohm in treble band requires a strong, stable amp.
6. Long-term reliability is historically iffy, especially in DIY versions.

Mitigating the drum head resonance:
An ESL diaphragm is remarkably resonance-free across the audio bandwidth except for a single fundamental "drum-head" resonance peak which typically occurs in the bass region at a frequency determined by its tension. This resonance is analogous to a woofer's free-air resonance (f/s) and is likewise undesirable.

The drum head resonance is the most difficult impediment in any ESL design-- it's nasty-loud, slow to decay, it can't be eliminated, can't be tolerated, and must be mitigated. It's particularly difficult to deal with in full range designs because the panel is forced to operate at bass frequencies where the drum head resonance occurs and dominates.

Acoustat and many other full range designs apply a felt or mesh fabric on the rear stator which partially absorbs the resonance energy.

Soundlab actually uses the drum-head resonance energy to boost bass output by dividing the diaphragm into multiple different-width sections which break up the single/loud/narrow resonance peak into multiple softer resonances spread over a wider bandwidth (i.e. "distributed resonance"). It's an innovative solution that mitigates the loud "one note boom" and also boosts output, but it's not a perfect solution because this resonance is by definition a distortion, so using it must include its distortion in the music playback.

Martin Logan tensions the diaphragm quite high, and likewise uses distributed resonance to enhance the upper bass/lower midrange, so that less EQ'ing is required to offset the panel's dipole roll off and flatten its response curve. Here again, distributed resonance spreads out the drum-head resonance, which necessarily includes its distortion.

Mitigating the narrow dispersion:
Narrow dispersion isn't necessarily a flaw. In fact, the Sanders/InnerSound speakers are purposely designed or narrow dispersion because it gives the most precise imaging (at their tightly focused sweet spot). Some prefer the narrow sweet spot for this reason but it's not so good for entertaining guests, and most speaker designers opt for wider dispersion.

Some designs (ML, Soundlab) curve the stat panel to about 30 degrees of arc, which curves its projected wave-front and widens the sweet spot. The small curvature is still a bit beamy but retains much of the magical imaging.

King Sound, ER Audio and few wire-stator designs use a separate narrow treble section within the ESL panel to spread the highs.

The Quad 63 and similar designs use separate bass panels and a center mid/treble panel with concentric ring conductors sequentially driven thru an LC delay line to function as a point source projecting a spherical wave front. This works quite well and effectively resolves the the "head-in-a-vice" effect of narrow dispersion.

Mitigating the load capcitance:
Most designs add low value resistors in front of the transformers which renders the load partially-resistive (although still mostly capacitive).

Reliability:
Most manufactures now produce reliable speakers, although 20 years seems to be the best-case limit (except for Acoustats which are seemingly immortal). I would not advise purchasing a DIY ESL unless you do your homework on the specific design, and you and trust the builder to stand behind it.

The weakest link in any ESL panel is the diaphragm coating degrading over time. So; a good design goal would make the panel easy to disassemble without damaging the stators, and preferably also leave the diaphragm intact. If so accessible; the diaphragm could be easily/cheaply re-coated or replaced.

The most robust designs use insulated wire stators because of their superior resistance to arcing.
Perf metal stators can be reliable if made by a manufacturer like ML who has mastered the specialized processes required to prevent arcing.

I would no longer build and never purchase a DIY ESL with perf metal stators because it's so difficult to perfectly smooth-over the cut metal edges and apply the insulating coatings with the margins required to prevent arcing.

The old Acoustat ESLs were/are bullet proof reliable because they used superbly insulated wire stators and a simple carbon black diaphragm coating that remained stable over time-- these continue to play happily 30 years on and counting...

So; if you want a super reliable ESL; buy or build a design that's similar to the Acoustat, or at least one with stators than can be easily disassembled to access the diaphragms (Acoustats can't be disassembled but they never die, so it's moot).

*********************************************************************************************************************

My latest DIY design (Jazzman MkIII):
The drum head resonance: Is simply avoided (not excited) by tensioning the diaphragm to resonate <100Hz, and then crossing the panel out to the woofer at least one octave above the resonance using a steep-sloped digital crossover (250Hz @48db/oct). Hence; the panel is not being energized/excited near the diaphragm's resonance frequency.

Dispersion: Tailoring the dispersion requires choosing either a narrow sweet spot with precise imaging or a wide sweet spot with less precise imaging or something in-between (physics forces this choice-- you can't have it all).
I chose the latter option and tailored the segmentation scheme accordingly.

The stat panel employs symmetrically arrayed 15-segment wire stators driven sequentially from the panel centerline outward to function as a line source projecting a cylindrical wave-front. This works amazingly well; giving wide, smooth-trending dispersion.

Load/Impedance: The RC line which curves the wave front also linearizes the impedance and renders it predominantly resistive, as only the capacitance of the first two wire groups is reflected back to the amp. I wouldn't know this myself; but it was explained to me by a very smart ESL guru that this scheme also reduces the phase rotation of the impedance reflecting back to the amp, which helps keep the amp stable (i.e from going into oscillation).

Woofer/Panel Integration:
The matching dipole radiation patterns of the excellent OB mounted Eminence KappaLite 3012LF woofer and the stat panel merge seamlessly to sound like a single, coherent driver-- the best integration I've heard in a hybrid ESL.

Reliability:
The wood lattice supported wire stators are less impact-tolerant than perf metal stators and must be handled accordingly. Otherwise; they are highly arc resistant resistant and therefore unlikely to be harmed by even crazy-loud volume levels. Even with no protection circuitry, the upgraded electronics interface has also proven to be reliable. Over the past five years I've built seven pairs for myself and audio pals, and all are working fine.

The stators can be either bond bonded together or mechanically mated in this design. If mechanically mated; the stators can be easily separated to access the diaphragms, should servicing them ever be needed.

How long will the diaphragm coating last? I can vouch for 5 years so far-- but I'll get back to you on that in about 10 years if I'm blessed to still be here.

My website with build photos & write-ups for the Jazzman MkIII speaker: http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/?m=0

Jazzman MkIII photo:
ESL .jpg

Last edited:
Amazing build and insights into the world of ESL! I have heard Cadence and Martin Logans and I can surely attest to the addictiveness of the sound. The bass unit and its clever build is super cool! "Bass that rises from nowhere and recedes back to nowhere" is such a cool way of saying how integrated the bass would be.

@Jazzman53 Exhaustive work and extremenly well documented in your blogs.
By the way what kind of amplification are you using to drive the ESLs, I remember you were earlier using Threshold or was it Carver?

another ESL addict here :) in India we had Cadence who made quite a splash with their releases, sadly have discontinued their releases in recent times. the best part of ESL is their treble, gotta love that sweetness.

have come across your build while researching on ESL over the internet, glad to see you have found us. looking forward to your posts.

@Jazzman53 Exhaustive work and extremenly well documented in your blogs.
By the way what kind of amplification are you using to drive the ESLs, I remember you were earlier using Threshold or was it Carver?

Yes; Carver amps. I'm using a DBX Driverack Venu 360 crossover feeding (3) Carver TFM-25's (3-way, 6-channel stereo) driving a pair of Ripol subs and the hybrid ESLs. The TFM-25s aren't hugely powerful (225W/Ch) but three of them combined pack a pretty good punch.

another ESL addict here :) in India we had Cadence who made quite a splash with their releases, sadly have discontinued their releases in recent times. the best part of ESL is their treble, gotta love that sweetness.

have come across your build while researching on ESL over the internet, glad to see you have found us. looking forward to your posts.
Thanks for your welcome, sir. I'm looking forward to more reading and posting here.
Charlie

Jazzman53,
I want to respond To your following apprehension in OP:
“How long will the diaphragm coating last? I can vouch for 5 years so far-- but I'll get back to you on that in about 10 years if I'm blessed to still be here.”

If it’s 5 years life for ES panels, I would say it would be expensive and inconvenient to own ESL. I am interested to know experience of other ESL owners on life of ES panels. Is that really 5 years or so?? Am I just a lucky odd one to enjoy ESL for 12 years without a problem in ES panels??
Does Martin Logan etc also have similar life of 5 yes?
BTW, my dealer also had said once: 10 years plus is a very good life for ES panels.
Secondly: why should ES panels are expected to have life of 5-7 years? What sort of wear it ought to undergo ? If Any scientific studies to support , I would be interested to know.

Jazzman53,
I want to respond To your following apprehension in OP:
“How long will the diaphragm coating last? I can vouch for 5 years so far-- but I'll get back to you on that in about 10 years if I'm blessed to still be here.”

If it’s 5 years life for ES panels, I would say it would be expensive and inconvenient to own ESL. I am interested to know experience of other ESL owners on life of ES panels. Is that really 5 years or so?? Am I just a lucky odd one to enjoy ESL for 12 years without a problem in ES panels??
Does Martin Logan etc also have similar life of 5 yes?
BTW, my dealer also had said once: 10 years plus is a very good life for ES panels.
Secondly: why should ES panels are expected to have life of 5-7 years? What sort of wear it ought to undergo ? If Any scientific studies to support , I would be interested to know.

Honestly; I don't know how long the diaphragm coating will last.

But I certainly did not mean to imply that the life span is only 5 years for mine or any other ESL-- I anticipate much longer.
I only stated 5 years for mine (so far) because that's the age of my speakers, so that's all I can personally vouch for at this time.

I haven't detected any loss of volume to date so I have no reason to suspect a failure anytime soon. Even so; I designed my ESL's to make it easy to access and re-coat the diaphragms-- should that ever be necessary.

Over the years I've used various diaphragm coatings, including powdered graphite, dish washing liquid, and one other that I purchased. They all worked but all had problems in one way or another.

I currently use Licron Crystal ESD coating, which is a static discharge coating intended for coating plastic parts bins used to store static-sensitive computer chips. The manufacturer says it's a permanent coating, but it wouldn't have been tested under ESL conditions so I consider that claim unverifiable, at this time.

ESL manufacturers don't all use the same diaphragm coatings, though, so we shouldn't expect a common lifespan.
I'm sticking with my estimate of 20 years on average.

Acoustat used a super reliable carbon-black coating but it had greater than optimal conductivity (would sustain arcing) and it was opaque black so not used by other manufactures. I believe ML uses a vapor deposition coating, and other manufacturers use whatever they use-- but it's all kept secret/proprietary.

Most manufacturers offer the industry standard five year warranty and you're on your own after that. However; they will sell you entire replacement panels ($$$ ouch) after the warranty expires. What they haven't done is sacrifice any profit to make their panels easily serviceable.

I should point out that Roger Sanders is the ONLY manufacturer giving a LIFETIME warranty.

Regards,
Charlie

Last edited:
Imo, the life of the panel could depend upon the ambient atmosphere you are staying. If you are very close to sea and expose them to salty air and moisture, then they won't last even for the stipulated 5 years. Living in a dry and warm weather with less moisture, expect them to last 10 + years.

Imo, the life of the panel could depend upon the ambient atmosphere you are staying. If you are very close to sea and expose them to salty air and moisture, then they won't last even for the stipulated 5 years. Living in a dry and warm weather with less moisture, expect them to last 10 + years.

Certainly, ESLs should only be kept in an air conditioned environment and also carefully vacuumed occasionally to prevent dust buildup in the stators.

Although I show them in photos with their wire stators exposed, I typically leave their front & back magnetically attached grills on, even when playing music. I highly recommend grill covers:

ESL Grill On.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone is interested... more about tailoring an ESLs dispersion pattern:

It's perfectly feasible to configure an ESL to radiate a pattern as wide or as narrow as one chooses, using electrical segmentation. This design approach It's practically never used in commercial ESLs (or if used at all, only minimally implemented) because it adds complexity and cost that conflicts with the profit motivation. And it's only feasible for wire-stator ESLs anyway.

Below are directivity sonograms comparing the radiation patterns of an unsegmented flat panel, an unsegmented 30-degree curved panel, and a segmented flat panel. Not all ESL's are beamy!

Steve B.jpg

Schematic showing my stators' segmentation scheme using (15) six-wire groups arrayed in 7+1+7 symmetry:
Jazzman Mk III schematic.jpg

An interesting experiment with segmentation:

I mentioned in my original post that an ESL can be configured with switch-selectable wide and narrow dispersion modes. I've actually done this with an ESL panel made from welding rods.

The switch-mode panel used a similar segmentation scheme shown in the schematic above, except that I inserted a Soviet military multi-pole rotary switch connected to jumpers to change dispersion modes. Switch "ON" jumped over the resistors to defeat the segmentation network (narrow mode) and switch "OFF" left the network engaged (wide mode). Narrow mode gave the best imaging with a ridiculously small sweet spot and wide mode was great to have when guests dropped in.

The switch mode feature was fun for a while but the novelty wore off pretty quickly because I had to power down to switch modes (lest arcing destroy the switch), and then I had to re-EQ the panel because switching modes radically changed the frequency response. Because of this inconvenience; I ended up leaving the speaker in wide mode most of the time, even when solo listening.

In subsequent speaker builds, I've omitted the switch-mode feature as impractical.

Here's a link to the panel build which used the switch-mode dispersion feature:

A Segmented Wire Stator ESL with Selectable Wide/Narrow Dispersion

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back