The Jazzman MkIII Hybrid ESL Build

Jazzman53

Hi All,

Below is my latest and probably my last ESL design, as I'm getting too old for this much work.
And forgive me if I go a bit overboard but I love talking about this stuff!

Discussions of ESL’s versus conventional speakers usually touch on their respective narrow versus wide dispersion.
Some love the ESL's tightly focused sweet spot and almost magical imaging, and others hate the beaming "head-in-a-vice" effect. Unfortunately; physics doesn’t permit having both the tightly focused magical imaging and a wide sweet spot, simultaneously.

Personally; I love being in the focus of a big pair of beaming flat-panel ESLs… but not for long periods, and not at all when guests drop by, because not everyone can sit in my lap and enjoy the magic.

Both the curved Martin Logan ESL’s and the sequentially phased Quad ESLs widen the dispersion to remedy the head-in-a-vice effect; although I prefer the Quad approach.

A lesser known but more versatile remedy for the head-in-a-vice effect employs electrically segmented stators. One commercial ESL employs a separate, narrow stator section for treble frequencies, and the King Sound ESLs have separate stator sections for the lows, mids, and highs.

Some cutting-edge ESL’s in the DIY community (including mine) employ symmetrical, multi-segmented wire stators to tailor the dispersion. This scheme is somewhat analogous to the Quad model 63 approach, with some important differences explained below.

The Quad 63 uses a separate mid/high center panel with concentric ring conductors powered sequentially thru an LC (inductor/capacitor) delay line, to emulate a point source projecting a spherical wave-front. Whereas, mine uses a vertical wire array driven thru an RC (resistor/capacitor) network to tailor the dispersion.

Below is a schematic of my multi-segment wire stator ESL, employing (15) six-wire groups driving the diaphragm from the center-line outward to emulate a line source projecting a cylindrical wave-front.

In any driver circuit, inserting a series resistor with a capacitor in parallel forms a first-order low-pass filter. In the case of a segmented ESL; the separate wire groups, coupled with the opposing/oppositely charged diaphragm, are the parallel capacitors, and we need only insert the appropriate value resistors between the wire groups to form a series transmission line of low-pass filters—as shown in the schematic below.

As driven by the segmented stators; the entire diaphragm radiates the lower frequencies, but the filter network limits the highest frequencies to only a narrow vertical band in the panel centerline, and progressively chops off the highs, moving toward the panel edges.

In addition to the progressive frequency attenuation; the charging time of the wire group capacitances imparts a progressive phase shift toward the panel edges which curves the wave front. The combined effect is wide, smooth trending dispersion, as visually depicted in the directivity sonograms shown below. The sonograms compare a non-segmented flat panel, a curved panel, and a segmented panel.

Jazzman MkIII Schematic:
schematic.jpg

Directivity Sonograms courtesy of Steve Bolser @ DIY Audio Forum:
sonograms.jpg

Grill%20off%202022.jpg

Grill%20on%202022.jpg

Amp Interface (step up transformers and high-voltage bias supply):
Interface%2B.jpg

The segmentation resistor network:
resistor%2Bnet.jpg

Stator in build Jig:
IMG_2103.jpg

Wire Stator:
IMG_2165.jpg

Youtube video links:

Stator Build Video

Panel Assembly Video

Jazzman MkIII Playing

Attachments

• main photo.jpg
    main photo.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Charlie,

Congratulations on an exemplary build !

I can envision the staggering amount of work undergone building this. Science and workmanship, both are exemplary !

What are the crossover points between the three ?

What is the wire used to build the strators ? A little more explanation on segmentation would help ?

How was the diaphragm made ? A plastic film coated with conducting metal film ? What is the thickness of the film ? I guess a resistive load was objective as well.

Regarding film deposition over plastic, there could be different ways of doing it. (Sorry but I cannot help thinking of PVD as a way of doing it)

Sorry, too many questions, please take your time replying to them.

Thank you Sir,

I've been an ESL builder for fourteen years, and I got some technical help on this project from the ESL gurus on the DIY Audio Forum (i.e. Calvin, Bolserst & Golfnut).

The system with subs is six-channel stereo with 48db/octave digital crossovers at 70Hz & 260Hz using a DBX Driverack Venu 360 DSP feeding three Carver TFM-25 stereo amps (225W/Ch).

The stator wire is UL-1061, SRPVC-insulated, 20AWG single-strand copper. Stretching the copper wire beyond its plastic yield point renders it perfectly straight, as needed to achieve the stator-to-diaphragm gap tolerance.

The segmentation scheme was derived from a technical paper by physicist Rod White in New Zealand (a.k.a. Goflnut at DIY Audio), using an Excel spreadsheet program (Segmented ESL Calculator) created by Steve Bolser (a.k.a. Bolserst) at the DIY Audio forum.

I chose the stator dimensions, wire size, number of wire groups, and the low frequency cutoff point-- and plugged those inputs into the spreadsheet program, which then calculated the resistor values to be inserted between wire groups, and also plotted SPL and frequency response curves.

The 6-micron Mylar diaphragm was tensioned to 1% elongation and then coated with Techspray Licron Crystal ESD coating, for conduction. Vapor deposition isn't easily do-able for the DIY'er but there are various DIY coating recipes; like powdered graphite, carbon black solutions, even dish washing liquid, but Licron Crystal is easy (not cheap though) and I'm comfortable with it.

For much more info and photos, visit my website below:
Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page

Last edited:
being a user of esl hybrid speakers, absolutely delighted to see your thread and incredi le build. They seem to be built to last a life time.

being a user of esl hybrid speakers, absolutely delighted to see your thread and incredi le build. They seem to be built to last a life time.
Well, I hope they do last a lifetime. The only element in the speaker that I don't have a clue how long it will hold-up is the Licron Crystal coating on the diaphragm. The manufacturer states that it's permanently conductive but I doubt it was tested in the same way that it's being used in my speakers. I've been using it for about 5 years and so far, so good. I've also built several pair of my MkIII design for friends, and gave them a lifetime warranty (my lifetime, not theirs).

BTW; I have drawings and parts lists available for my speaker and stator jig if anyone wants to dive in :)

Congratulations on your built. Being myself a DIY person, I can imagine the tremendous amount of labor and time spent on the very fine details done in this built.

Grill%20off%202022.jpg

Grill%20on%202022.jpg

Amp Interface (step up transformers and high-voltage bias supply):
Interface%2B.jpg

The segmentation resistor network:
resistor%2Bnet.jpg

Charlie,

This is simply superb craftsmanship! Congratulations!
The amp interface and resistor network is pure eye candy.

Regards

@Jazzman53 Glanced through your thread.
At 1300 dollars per pair, I would say these are absolute peach in terms of value for money, especially being fully active.

Kudos.👌

Charlie,

How far are you from NY 11577 ?

Regards,
Sam.
Hi Sam,

I live in Port Wentworth, GA (the seaport in Savannah) 820 miles via I-95.

BTW; I built an identical pair of the MkIII's for a friend who passed away before I completed them in the spring of 2021. They have been sitting unused in the back room of my house ever since. I would let them go, with a 5-yr warrantee, if anyone is interested.

Charlie
[email protected]

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back