Quad CD 99S

nickolas

Hi I have a Quad CD99S and the CD drawer has been gradually failing to open. Turning of the power for 10 minutes fixes the drawer not opening but only for a short while. I had DADA electronics Australia have a look at it and they told the motors and belts were fine, but could not detect the issue. To my mind turning off the power and then on again seems to indicate to me, the problem may a capacitor or resister or something similar. I have the full 99/909 system and also a Quad 34/306 system. The Cd player whilst 8 years old has had very little use and there is no noise when the drawer finally opens. Anyone have any ideas on the issue, as I have searched the Web and cannot find anything nor can I find a service manual. Quad UK were not helpful at all, which is surprising, as in the past they have been.

Thanks

Nick

Hello and welcome to the forum!
I hope that someone on here may have some info that is useful for you.

Regards

Hello and welcome to the forum!
I hope that someone on here may have some info that is useful for you.

Regards

None has responded yet. Anyway I took it to Dada Electronics Australia and it was working when I took it in, but he could not fix it and now nothing at all happens. So I took it to a Quad Service agent, he had it for 2 weeks and came back to me to say it was a servo board and that no parts are available, this player cost of a $1,000.00 and is only 8 years old and " No Parts" what has happened to Quad, which used to be really good on parts and service. I am very relucant to just throw it out?

what has happened to Quad
One of our FMs @preth30 had similar experience with Quad 99 CDP. When the CD eye failed, he couldn't fix even though he approached Quad UK.

Found some general troubleshooting guide and this may he helpful.

If you have already tried these and couldn't get rid off the problem, don't immediately conclude this can't be fixed. I hope someone from the forum help you find a technician in your locality who can fix this.

If nothing seems to work, either cannibalize the piece for electronics or let it find a new place.

Searching the web one techo actually identified the problem parts and actually fixed it. Seems people here in Australia either don't have the skills to fault trace or are to lazy too. Rob Flain from Quad is looking for a second hand part, which is unlikely. In any event I have bought a new Quad Elite series Cd player as the importer gave me a disount on a new one are speaking with Quad UK and China. So I have put the Quad 99s on Ebay, if it does not sell I will keep it for parts, as everything else was working, at least when I took it into DADA Australia, but not when I got it back?

Back