Quad Fullranger TL enclosure

Re: Newcomer looking for high powered 3-way stereo setup

My Answers in Blue:

Do bear with my ignorance, Kanwar, but to me, LF+MF+HF= 3way. I am sure I have missed something here as you have called it a 3.5 way.

Could be Dual 18inchers per channel, rest it is implementation based, depends on the budget also.

1. Why Class D or rather, why not Class A or AB? I have heard that Class D is good only for either low wattage amps like Tripaths or for high wattage subwoofer amps? Is Class D capable of causing stereophile/hi-fi grade goosebumps like Class A does especially in the midrange?

Today class-D technology is matured enough to serve across fullrange of audio spectrum and is much more efficient in the handling of reactive loads

2. In the long run, would the wood not warp, expand or contract due to our hot, humid and extreme climate? How is better than say, marine grade plywood or MDF? Any disadvantages of ply or MDF? Would these be cheaper than the wood option?

Seasoned woods don't show such behavior along with stuffing and stacking the batons to form a large plank.

3. Will that be an analog crossover or digital or can I go in for either? Which one would you go in for and why? Why not just use a Behringer DCX2496 or something similar? Will the crossover points be fixed or variable? Please educate me.

Pure Class-A XO, hardwired and matched to parameters of enclosure/driver interaction. Once set, user has no need to tamper with it.

4. Is it possible to have a inbuilt DAC in the preamplifier-cum-crossover cabinet? Is this advisable or should I go in for a standalone DAC? Will you be able to fabricate a DAC or should I go for branded?

DAC can be incorporated, no issues in that.We already have AES/EBU standard input protocol in Pro-audio

5.Are the wattages mentioned above indicative of amplifier output or power handling of the speakers? Please confirm that its rated at 8 ohms or inform if otherwise?

Those power ratings are per channel for the amplifiers @ 8 ohms

For example, I would ideally like to go in for a pair of Heil/Raal type ribbon tweeters but I am wary that it may overshoot my budget.
6. Is there a pro-audio equivalent for those kind of tweeters? If so, which one would you prefer and how much would a pair cost? In case, finances permit, I can try and request someone to carry these along in flight from abroad to save on shipping and customs cost.

BEYMA TLP150 is one such pro-audio Ribbon Tweeter, provided you have extension in your budget allocation, it can be incorporated as well.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jaat,

Looks like yours will be a strictly stereo setup covering full spectrum at both extremes equally well, unlike tube lovers who circle around mids altogether.

Also you want detail and clarity at lower volumes along with loud and clear during party time, owing to your very nature of ' 1 Jaat = Jaat & 2 Jaat = Mela ' :D

How about a custom active 3.5 Way setup having best of both worlds having crisspy highs, smooth vocals and thundering bass. That way you will get detail, clarity and impressive sound stage at lower listening levels a.k.a romantic session and loud n clear during 'Jaat in mood'. :yahoo:

Configuration would consist of the following:
1. 1500W LF 18" per channel

2. 250W MF 6-8" per channel

3. 150W HF Horn loaded 1" throat exit compression per channel

4. Custom built Class-A active 3 way XO unit acting as preamp also.

5. Fully Balanced Class-D

Fully wooden enclosure in separate configuration, choice of Teak, Sheesham or Pine mixture, fully braced resonance dampened enclosure. Adjustable HF Horn placement.

Cheers,
Kanwar

Excellent suggestion. Although the HF needs to be a compression driver to keep with rest. Also, he wants to play outside on lawn, so definitely needs horn laded CD. If he can use 2", even better. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent suggestion. Although the HF needs to be a compression driver to keep with rest. Also, he wants to play outside on lawn, so definitely needs horn laded CD. If he can use 2", even better. :D

Yes and i have corrected my quoted post above to make it more clear.:)

Only down side with 2 inch throat is the extreme HF response rolls off quickly mostly after 15khz, but again not many are lucky enough with their ears to hear beyond that.:D

+1.

Also, with 18" woofer + 8" mid, the high's will be masked quite a bit due to bass. Only a strong compression driver can keep up with these two.

Hello folks!
Sorry for being away for so long. I feel kind of small for starting a thread and not following it up. I had to take a personal trip/stay at home that has nearly undone all my plans for a stereo setup. So, I've decided to put my plans for a 3-way setup on the back-burner for now. However, I have decided to go in for a multiple-driver full-range(well, nearly) setup mounted in an Advanced Transmission Line enclosure. I have been in consultation with Kanwar as advised by Denom and other members. Thanks, guys for that.
I have decided to downscale to a single-way system, mainly because I will need one one powerful stereo(or two mono) amplifiers instead of three stereo or six mono for 6 ch in a 3way setup. The Class A active crossover setup, thus is automatically dispensed with(means more money saved).

I had learned about Kanwars design efforts that resulted in the component selection towards a special 12-inch full range loudspeaker driver around which The Doaba speakers were created by the designer for some fauji friends of his. These are dual cone speakers that go from 30/35/40 Hz(room gain) to way beyond the upper limits of human hearing, with no equalizer, mind you.
However, the Doaba speaker does outstandingly well to suit my in-room/indoor requirements but not so to my OH-SO-OUTRAGEOUS terrace/garden requirements. Anything suited for that would be too expensive or too PA-speaker-type-sounding or too low powered to be of any use for versatile applications like mine. I realized I was maybe asking for too much in a single system in a NOW cash-strapped situation, so, being dejected, I was about to let go of the idea when Kanwar and other friends asked me not to despair . These guys went out of the way to do brainstorming to meet my aspirations for owning a hi-fi audiophile-AND-DJ-type stereo setup at about half of the originally intended budgetary allocations.
So, after many minutes&hours of talk-time benefits accrued by various mobile network operators, I was overwhelmed by the degree of passion shown by all friends. Kanwars expertise and craftsmanship was clearly evident in Mod Malvais Altec Active Advanced TL(A3TL) speakers built by him. Feedback about that made me put all my trust in the designer. So, this is what its gonna be-----
Multiple 12 dual cone full-range drivers arrayed or stacked vertically in an advanced transmission line enclosure fed by a 500W-1000W Class D or Class AB amplifier. Left to the designer entirely. This young un knows his stuff well, right guys?
Meanwhile, please post your comments and do stay tuned for updates.
Cheers, always.

Update - The mandatory two thirds of the entire amount has been received by the designer. Over to you, Kanwar Bhai. "Make it large" please. LOL

Update - The mandatory two thirds of the entire amount has been received by the designer. Over to you, Kanwar Bhai. "Make it large" please. LOL

Dear FM Jaatbhai
Thats great news, mate. :yahoo:
I think you 'finally' made a very wise decision. Knowing Kanwar, I am sanguine that you'll get (much) more than the money's worth. :eek:hyeah: Looking forward eagerly to updates, look-see and a detailed audition.

Cheerio

"Dear FM Jaatbhai
Thats great news, mate.
I think you 'finally' made a very wise decision. Knowing Kanwar, I am sanguine that you'll get (much) more than the money's worth. Looking forward eagerly to updates, look-see and a detailed audition."

Many thanks to you and Kanwar for the patience and indulgence. I owe you guys one already.
Cheers

"I'm going to purchase a ticket and coming over to listen once your system gets setup..."
@saheb11123
Oh sure, most welcome, but don't come alone, the party's going to be on me. That would be a pleasure indeed. I am likely to move to a new and better place by the time the system comes up.
TC, bye

Ha ha... Thanks for being generous , if im ever close i will surely ping you :D

Even Im also a party guy.

Regards
saheb11123

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back