Quad Fullranger TL enclosure

JaatBhai

Dear friends,
Greetings from the North. It feels great to have joined this esteemed forum. I am basically a stereo enthusiast, although I do watch the odd movie, once in a while. I am not an avid gamer as Ive never had time to pursue that hobby. I am a blue-blooded Jaat with (farmers) roots in Haryana but presently located near Udhampur.
My listening preferences include Rock, Country, Folk, Reggae, Sufi and the occassional Heavy Metal, Bhangra, Ghazal or (vintage) Bollywood session.
In the past, I have owned a few commonplace stereo components from mid-fi brands like NAD, Wharfedale, Norge, Sonodyne, Technics, Marantz and Denon etc. Recently, I decided to set some moolah aside to finally treat myself to a REAL hi-fi system. The problem arose that it was mighty tough to part with my last existing system. I realised that I would not be able to go in for the desired hi-fi gear till I became system- less. . . .
So, I sold/gifted the remnants of my entire setup ie cassettes, cassette decks, LPs, EPs, turntables, amplifiers, speakers and subwoofers. (Phew! Sigh!)
So, as far as music goes, all I am now left with is about 1.5 TB of lossless music (mostly FLAC) in a 2 TB hard-sisk, a Macbook, a PC and a netbook.
I want to go in for a hi-fi set up thats big, different, rugged, reliable, sensational and well, nothing short of being a phenomenon in itself. I love huge woofers and horns and yearn to finally own these for setting up in a room measuring about 400-450 sq ft with a 10 ft ceiling. Lucky enough to have been given about thrice that much space to construct my very own bachelors pad on the 1st floor of our farmhouse back home. The rural advantage and all that jazz, guys ....
I may even go in for an infinite baffle setup for the low frequencies, one never knows. But that means, Ill have to mess with the walls, avoidable, in the least. But I am a low frequency freak like most North Indians and dont want to miss out on the high-freq sparkle and mid-range warmth either.
I infer that I must go in for a 3way stereo setup. I am inclined to have an actively and/or passively crossed-over set-up but I wonder where and how I can obtain that and which would be better.
Guys, let your knowledge and experience be my guiding light, please.
Thanks in advance, friends.

PS- Its going to be at least one and a half year year till my pad is ready to set up the stereo in. I need to go in for a once-and-for-all music setup that is, meanwhile versatile enough, just as well, to play in (much) smaller/slightly larger rooms with equal aplomb.

Last edited:
Re: Newcomer looking for high powered 3-way stereo setup

So, you are looking for a DAC, an amplifier and a speaker pair in 3 Ls?

Greetings northern music man. I think normal hifi is useless for you. Bhangra will murder it physically. I suggest you use some pro audio instead. Speakers JBL Control 30, Crown amplifier, Benchmark DAC. Should be close to your budget.

For a good system, I suggest keeping an eye on the used stuff here on sale too. You might find some real good deals if you are lucky.

I agree with norsortf, pro audio is the way to go wrt your requirements.
Suggest you request our Pro-Audio Mod Kanwar to give you inputs regarding the same.

Jaat ki mauj :D

I think first you have to tell us about somethings:

1. Do you listen at low volumes mostly or always at party mood with volume always cranked up.

2. How much far is your listening position from your would be setup.

3. How much High frequency sparkle you would like in your setup.

4. How much vocal mids presence you prefer when listening to music.

5. Assuming you like deep bass with an added impact, the use of stereo subwoofers is must, do you have that much space to allocate them in your room.

6. How much is the aesthetic appeal of the gear matters to you?

7. Some work in the area of room treatment is mandatory, provided the room is adequate to contain friends in the party and still have the environment to stir the ecstasy.

Cheers,
Kanwar

Last edited:

Jaatbhai, this crown amplifier series should be good enough. DSi Series .
Get the 1000. Between 60k-80k.
I think it has on board DSP which will allow you to EQ to your needs.

So, you are looking for a DAC, an amplifier and a speaker pair in 3 Ls?
Yes, I am looking for all of those, Ghatgepatil. But I hadnt included the DAC in my query, simply because I felt it would be too premature to go in for a DAC without having a system first. Anyway, any suggestion is most welcome, all the same, even though Ill be buying that at a later date. Also, I am open to more than one amplifier in case I am advised to go purely active or active-passive hybrid for the assosciated crossover network/box/board mandatory with a pair of multi-way speakers.
Greetings northern music man. I think normal hifi is useless for you. Bhangra will murder it physically. I suggest you use some pro audio instead. Speakers JBL Control 30, Crown amplifier, Benchmark DAC. Should be close to your budget.
Greetings, Nosortf. Couldnt agree more with you. I am looking for something thats Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy to quote a 70s rock album by The Who. Yes, any system that can sustain and shine with Bhangra should be able to handle almost any other genre of music. Yes, good pro-audio does sound great , no doubt. Thanks for the interest and suggestions, man.
For a good system, I suggest keeping an eye on the used stuff here on sale too. You might find some real good deals if you are lucky.
Thanks for the interest and the suggestion, Shivam. Will definitely keep an eye out. Youre right, one never knows.
I agree with norsortf, pro audio is the way to go wrt your requirements.
Suggest you request our Pro-Audio Mod Kanwar to give you inputs regarding the same.
Thanks for the interest and the suggestion, Denom. Yes, I have heard of Kanwar from some Gurgaon-based friends. From what I gather, definitely worthy of consideration for shortlist inclusion.
Jaat ki mauj :D
Ha ha ha, all the way, Kanwar, all the way.
Paalty nyu hee chaalegi, Bhai. (Thats Haryanvi for- The partyll go on like this, Bro.)
I think first you have to tell us about somethings:
Thanks for the prompt response, man. Ill try to answer one by one.
1. Do you listen at low volumes mostly or always at party mood with volume always cranked up.
Both. But I do have the luxury of not having any pesky neighbours, so I am always in party mood whenever I have the house to myself. So, I need to have both options handy. Especially a system than can play bass just as well at low volumes.
2. How much far is your listening position from your would be setup.
Minimum- 8
Maximum-20 (Outdoor placement likely, too, lawn available)
I have heard/read that the constant directivity factor is almost always an inherent part of pro-audio design and installation. Is it true? If true, can the same kind of directivity be achieved for a home-based stereo setup?
3. How much High frequency sparkle you would like in your setup.
As much as a particular track/recording provides. Any more than that tends to be unreal and causes fatigue to the ears. But I just love the sound of cymbals ringing while playing martial music and rock/heavy metal drum solos. Is it possible to have HF horns that won't make ears bleed after prolonged listening sessions. Pardon the exaggeration please.
4. How much vocal mids presence you prefer when listening to music.
A lot. I do listen to a lot of midrange-centric stuff. An honest confession-I do go Karaoke at times.
5. Assuming you like deep bass with an added impact, the use of stereo subwoofers is must, do you have that much space to allocate them in your room.
I am definitely inclined towards those but I need something that, meanwhile won't sound overpowering in a smaller room. Is it possible? I dont mind equalisation, if necessary.
6. How much is the aesthetic appeal of the gear matters to you?
Again, a lot. But I am always willing to sacrifice some form for some function, but surely not the other way around. I fancy vintage appearance more than the Star Wars kind.
7. Some work in the area of room treatment is mandatory, provided the room is adequate to contain friends in the party and still have the environment to stir the ecstasy.
The final room would be at least 20x20. Is it possible to havea system/design thats versatile enough to play in a smaller room. Ive heard that there are systems where the USP is minimum excitation of room modes. Is it possible with pro-audio components or am I asking for too much?

Waiting to hear more from you guys.
Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

Jaatbhai, this crown amplifier series should be good enough. DSi Series .
Get the 1000. Between 60k-80k.
I think it has on board DSP which will allow you to EQ to your needs.

Who with a stable state of mind will put 60k+ in that crown amp which is only 1000W total @ 4ohms when at that price much better options are available at higher wattages in pro-amps.:p Btw, you sound like Harman salesman recommending Crown and JBL entirely.;)

For minimum excitation of room modes, you will require another software or hardware based correction in the chain. That translates to more expenditure also.

If you can have a room where room modes are spaced away from each other, you can save money and have even an average system sounding great.

Who with a stable state of mind will put 60k+ in that crown amp which is only 1000W total @ 4ohms when at that price much better options are available at higher wattages in pro-amps.:p Btw, you sound like Harman salesman recommending Crown and JBL entirely.;)

Best bang for the buck:clapping:
I am sure there are many good value amps out there, its just that I don't know, them esp with in built DSP.
I am not sure about Indian prices for Crown and JBL.
Just saw international retail and converted to Rupees + VAT.
I am not Harman salesman, I am Harami salesman:eek:hyeah:

Jaat,

Looks like yours will be a strictly stereo setup covering full spectrum at both extremes equally well, unlike tube lovers who circle around mids altogether.

Also you want detail and clarity at lower volumes along with loud and clear during party time, owing to your very nature of ' 1 Jaat = Jaat & 2 Jaat = Mela ' :D

How about a custom active 3.5 Way setup having best of both worlds having crisspy highs, smooth vocals and thundering bass. That way you will get detail, clarity and impressive sound stage at lower listening levels a.k.a romantic session and loud n clear during 'Jaat in mood'. :yahoo:

Configuration would consist of the following:

1. 1500W LF 18" per channel

2. 250W MF 6-8" per channel

3. 150W HF Horn loaded 1" throat exit compression per channel

4. Custom built Class-A active 3 way XO unit acting as preamp also.

5. Fully Balanced Class-D

Fully wooden enclosure in separate configuration, choice of Teak, Sheesham or Pine mixture, fully braced resonance dampened enclosure. Adjustable HF Horn placement.

Cheers,
Kanwar

Last edited:

Jaat,

Looks like yours will be a strictly stereo setup covering full spectrum at both extremes equally well, unlike tube lovers who circle around mids altogether.

Also you want detail and clarity at lower volumes along with loud and clear during party time, owing to your very nature of ' 1 Jaat = Jaat & 2 Jaat = Mela ' :D

How about a custom active 3.5 Way setup having best of both worlds having crisspy highs, smooth vocals and thundering bass. That way you will get detail, clarity and impressive sound stage at lower listening levels a.k.a romantic session and loud n clear during 'Jaat in mood'. :yahoo:

Configuration would consist of the following:

1. 1500W LF 18" per channel

2. 150W MF 6-8" per channel

3. 100W HF Horn loaded 1" throat per channel

4. Custom built Class-A active 3 way XO unit acting as preamp also.

5. Fully Balanced Class-D

Fully wooden enclosure in separate configuration, choice of Teak, Sheesham or Pine mixture, fully braced resonance dampened enclosure. Adjustable HF Horn placement.

Cheers,
Kanwar

Do bear with my ignorance, Kanwar, but to me, LF+MF+HF= 3way. I am sure I have missed something here as you have called it a 3.5 way.

Does that mean a pair of mid/sub-woofers per channel. If so, which one of the two, mid or sub?

Otherwise, the system you suggested sounds very yummy especially if it can adapt so well to the mood-swings that we Jaats are known for, LoL.

But, before we go further, please clarify my nagging apprehensions as below:-
1. Why Class D or rather, why not Class A or AB? I have heard that Class D is good only for either low wattage amps like Tripaths or for high wattage subwoofer amps? Is Class D capable of causing stereophile/hi-fi grade goosebumps like Class A does especially in the midrange?
2. In the long run, would the wood not warp, expand or contract due to our hot, humid and extreme climate? How is better than say, marine grade plywood or MDF? Any disadvantages of ply or MDF? Would these be cheaper than the wood option?
3. Will that be an analog crossover or digital or can I go in for either? Which one would you go in for and why? Why not just use a Behringer DCX2496 or something similar? Will the crossover points be fixed or variable? Please educate me.
4. Is it possible to have a inbuilt DAC in the preamplifier-cum-crossover cabinet? Is this advisable or should I go in for a standalone DAC? Will you be able to fabricate a DAC or should I go for branded?
5. Are the wattages mentioned above indicative of amplifier output or power handling of the speakers? Please confirm that its rated at 8 ohms or inform if otherwise?

Please dont take exception to my questions, most of which may appear silly to a professional like you. Its not that your advice is not valued, please dont take it that way. Its just that I have painstakingly stashed money aside for this gear for quite some time now and may not be able to spend again. Therefore, I can only get to know from you and other experts whether or not I am making the right choices as per my budget, listening preferences and listening space etc.

For example, I would ideally like to go in for a pair of Heil/Raal type ribbon tweeters but I am wary that it may overshoot my budget.
6. Is there a pro-audio equivalent for those kind of tweeters? If so, which one would you prefer and how much would a pair cost? In case, finances permit, I can try and request someone to carry these along in flight from abroad to save on shipping and customs cost.

Cheers

Last edited:

Can someone give me a link with some details of Class D amps made by Kanwar & Co? Tried searching 'Zephyr Power Amplifiers' but got nowhere.

Can someone give me a link with some details of Class D amps made by Kanwar & Co? Tried searching 'Zephyr Power Amplifiers' but got nowhere.

Interesting thread there, FM Jaatbhai. Its very heartening to see someone from Texas interested in this kind of a system. Subscribed. Here are the links you might be looking for. Its ZYPHER, not ZEPHYR.
4? Optimized Models | Advanced Class-D Amplification
4 Channel Amplifiers | Advanced Class-D Amplification
2? Optimized Models | Advanced Class-D Amplification
HTH
Cheerio

Interesting thread there, FM Jaatbhai. Its very heartening to see someone from Texas interested in this kind of a system. Subscribed. Here are the links you might be looking for. Its ZYPHER, not ZEPHYR.
4? Optimized Models | Advanced Class-D Amplification
4 Channel Amplifiers | Advanced Class-D Amplification
2? Optimized Models | Advanced Class-D Amplification
HTH
Cheerio

Thanks for the help, Trittya. Was just going through those links and all I could say is - "WOW!"
Now, eagerly waiting for Kanwar to educate me further.

Its always a pleasure, my friend, don't mention it.
All you need is a little patience, this forum is known for its members who are always and evermore happy to help. I'd say, take your time to decide once and for all once the inputs begin to flow.

Regards
TT

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back