Quadraphonic Sound

reju

Hi! I have come across some DVD-A format discs which have "source" marked as Quad CD4, Q8, SQ LP etc.

Any idea if these are these transferred from original master tapes?

I tried to get some information for wikipedia, but I have not got a very clear picture.

Quadraphonic sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can anyone try to explain these formats?

I can add some information-

Hum apke hai kaun(HAHK) was the 1st Indian mov to be recorded in Quadraphonic Sound(or similar technology)

In the year 2002 Roger Waters performed in Blore and the sound effect was Quadraphonic. they had LR in front and back( behind the audience) and was not stereo but the sound could do a circle similar to 5.1. but here the center channel and the sub will be absent and four independent channels will exist. this is my understanding(which may be wrong). however our seniors will be in a better position to explain this.

In the year 2002 Roger Waters performed in Blore and the sound effect was Quadraphonic. they had LR in front and back( behind the audience) and was not stereo but the sound could do a circle similar to 5.1. but here the center channel and the sub will be absent and four independent channels will exist. this is my understanding(which may be wrong). however our seniors will be in a better position to explain this.

Quad = 4 (channels) as we use it in the context of multi-channel music.

Compared to the 5.1 channel, quad recordings don't have the centre and LFE channels. Its a dated technology because at that time, the audio processing went from mono -> stereo -> quad and 8 track. There were too many formats of this and when cassette players and CD players came out, the quad died rather quickly.

The most well known recordings are shown here:

http://www.8trackheaven.com/quad-tape-list.html

I was at the Roger waters show.
Roger waters (Pink Floyd) music has lot of ambient sounds in the mix. They use the rear speakers for a 3- dimensional effect for these sounds. It is very effective and acts as a subservient anchor to the main stereo front. This is very different from the 5.1 surround sound gimmick we hear these days.

I too have been to their Mumbai show. Their music and effects always stand out:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back