Quality of Commercial MP3 CDs

Hi, no question of improvement from 96kbps/128kbps upconverting to any format/ higher bits execpt larger size files in your disc.

And Lossless to Lossy conversion can be done but not vice versa

hi, here I mean restoration of sound quality of a lossless file cannot be done when you convert a lossy format again to any lossless format

Of course, I know that Pakecc.:) If that would have been the case, we would not have been ranting about poor quality MP3 disks sold in markets by music labels.
If you look at my post, I have actually asked the other member that does 'he' think that such a conversion will help. Once a sound recorded or converted to a lower bit rate loses the information which the lossless format has. Reconverting it to higher bit rates or even FLAC will not bring the lost information back.

Of course, I know that Pakecc.:) If that would have been the case, we would not have been ranting about poor quality MP3 disks sold in markets by music labels.
If you look at my post, I have actually asked the other member that does 'he' think that such a conversion will help. Once a sound recorded or converted to a lower bit rate loses the information which the lossless format has. Reconverting it to higher bit rates or even FLAC will not bring the lost information back.

yes, yes saket, I missed the ? mark :) in your reply to the other member. But long long ago, so long ago, I was also doing that same thing - upconverting from 128kbps to 320 kbps:) and even in wave format:lol:

Well, as for me up conversion works to a certain extent and it all depends on how much one would want to bring out the best in audio quality.

Fortunately there are websites now who offer 320kbps downloads which works for me.

Well, as for me up conversion works to a certain extent and

How can it if it does not work for others?

it all depends on how much one would want to bring out the best in audio quality.

I want to bring out the best of MP3s. I do not have space constraints. You reckon that conversion to FLAC will help?

Fortunately there are websites now who offer 320kbps downloads which works for me.

How do you know/ distinguish that the versions are not 'upscaled' versions of 128KBPS sound file?

Dear Efernand, the crux of the matter is that no upscaling will help once the original lossless file is converted to MP3 or any lossy compression format. Once you do that, and 'some' of the information is lost (depending on the compression technique, file size & bit rate). Whatever you now do to the compressed format, you simply cannot bring back the lost information which you lost while compressing the file. Think about it that if you do not have a source with 100% information to start with; how can the resultant file have 100% (or any amount of information more than the source file)? How can you bring back which is not there in first place?

So, whatever SQ you have gained by such upscaled conversions is only in your head, not ears. Do a blind test and report back.

Well, as for me up conversion works to a certain extent a.

How come it works?/ We are eager to know..

Understand once you lose the data in Mp3 conversion is DOES NOT come back.. period Not in upconversion .. Upconversion is ( from net)

true. you can't get back things you lost or didn't record in the first place. having a 64kbps audio and re encoding it to 320kbps will sound just like 64kbps with a 320kpbs tag, even with a lossless format (to some degree, its not perfect)

So it is GIGO when you upconvert mp3 - Garbage In Garbage Out

Or you have some different thoughts sir?

The difference you are hearing is psychological , or is it some mind altering substances you are using sir ??

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back