Query on APC Smart UPS

ukr

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a UPS with power conditioning and surge protection and have shortlisted two models, APC smart UPS SUA1500I (internal battery) and SUA2200XI (external battery type, 1500VA model not available for external battery model). Not looking at online models as they are considerably more expensive for same load ratings. Since voltage fluctuation is severe here(100-240V) with occasional power surge, my primary and immediate requirement is clean power for my Denon AVR 1611 and LCD 22 inch. Backup power is secondary and could wait, but I would like to add it in future so that it could double up as a home UPS for the 22inch TV, blue ray player, wireless router, modem, STB and may be a couple of lights and fans not necessarily at the same time. Not looking to operate the receiver on backup power. I prefer going for the first model provided there is some way to connect more batteries in future for extending the backup time. But as per the dealer, this is not possible for this model. That is why I had a look at the second model which is costlier. More batteries could be connected to this for improving backup time in future. But the dealer says that this would require four batteries to begin with as the UPS is a 24 volt model and also we cannot operate the unit without batteries in case we don't need the backup for now, taking the cost further up. So in short, following are my queries, pardon me if they don't sound thoughtful,

1. Is it possible to connect external batteries to SUA1500I to improve backup time? Any tweaks or something which could enable this?

2. In case 1 is not possible, can we operate SUA2200XI without batteries or a small battery for the time being and add more in future when the purse permits?

3. In case 1 and 2 are not possible, is there any other reliable brand available at a lower price point with similar power conditioning and surge protection features with 1500VA load rating and extendable battery capacity?

Would really appreciate if anyone having knowledge on the above topic could give inputs that would help me take a decision. Thanks in advance.

Don't know about the models you mentioned, but I use an APC SURT2000XLI, for exactly the same thing - true double conversion on line sine wave, purely for protection. This can be bought with a small integral battery from APC (2 yr warr on batt too), and can later be daisy chained with higher capacity batteries if reqd. This is what I am doing at present, with a large Inverter for all home loads like fans etc.

Also, I wouldn't use this for fans also, as those are inductive loads, which can cause interference on the signal going to your lovely av gear.

Hope that helps,

Viki

APC SURT2000XLI, for exactly the same thing - true double conversion on line sine wave, purely for protection. Viki

Hello,

Last year when I was looking for a UPS, few experts suggested to go for APC SURT series which is used for highly critical applications like sensitive medical equipment where pure sine wave is required. I think this is the way to go.

Regards,
Venu

@ukr, you have mentioned that you are looking for power conditioning, but don't want to go for online ups. Other forms of UPS will not give you power conditioning. The input is either passed as is or stepped up or down depending on the voltage.

Q1. If the UPS does not have an option of connecting external batteries, then modifying the circuit may void its warranty. The next issue is the charging circuit may not provide enough current to charge larger batteries. So you may have to disconnect the batteries and then connect it to an external charger every time the batteries need charge.

Q2 & 3. Don't have answers.

+1 to viki on not running other loads on the UPS.

Hi all thanks a lot for the replies.

This can be bought with a small integral battery from APC (2 yr warr on batt too), and can later be daisy chained with higher capacity batteries if reqd.

Also, I wouldn't use this for fans also, as those are inductive loads, which can cause interference on the signal going to your lovely av gear.

Hope that helps,
Viki

@Viki: Thanks for the info. Would you mind telling the price of the UPS when you bought it? Also what would be the minimum battery size on which we can run this?

The price was 33k, battery size is 96V, 4.5 Ah. Physically, the battery is about the size of a 1/2 kg mithai box. It fits inside the UPS, which is the size of a PC. This UPS also allows external battery.

Viki

Just curious..Is this online UPS? I just ordered 3KV online UPS for 20K from a local manufacturer named Digital Power Connectors. I have a chance to revert my decision if i can get a clarification :)

@UKR: Are you sure the APC ones provide Power Conditioning? In my experience these guys use the word Power conditioning with their own meaning, which generally means some level of protection from surges. It by no means cleans the dirty power get.

A good power conditioner is something like this: High End A/V and Automation, India

hello

Also consider Liebert GXT MT+ 1,2 & 3 kVA Online UPS as a very good option.

I have 1KVA Liebert online UPS attached to my Projector.

Liebert 3KVA online UPS with internal batteries come for around Rs 27K and 2KVA for Rs 25K.

Liebert is more VFM than APC in case of Online UPS.

As per their website, you can contact:

Emerson Network Power (India) Pvt Ltd - South 1 Zone Office
No. 412, Jindal Center, Opp Sukhsagar Hotel 3Rd Flr, 100 Fleet Rd, Koramangalam
Bangalore 560095
India
Phone: +91 803 315 4000

Last edited:
Mandeep,
Could you please let me know the price you paid for 1KVA Libert online UPS??

I was thinking of getting APC Smart UPS which is not online but sine wave output for 11K.
If I get 1KVA Libert Online for <20K, I might change my decision.

I just spoke to one of the Libert distributor here in Bangalore. These are the prices for 1KvA online UPS

Liebert 1KvA 15-20 Min 18K + Taxes
1 hr 21k+taxes
2Hr 24+Taxes
3Hr 28+ Taxes

Since I have generator backup in my Apt, I am planning to go for 15 Min backup battery only. Do you think these are the reasonable prices??

Mandeep,

I was thinking of getting APC Smart UPS which is not online but sine wave output for 11K.

I got 1KVA Liebert online UPS for Rs 16800/- (tax inclusive), i was also quoted Rs 18000/- initially, but after negotiation i got the price reduced, the price they are giving you seems to be on the higher side , but i am not sure as this is a new series.

Last edited:
Emerson Network Power (India) Pvt Ltd - South 1 Zone Office
No. 412, Jindal Center, Opp Sukhsagar Hotel 3Rd Flr, 100 Fleet Rd, Koramangalam
Bangalore 560095
India
Phone: +91 803 315 4000

Thanks a lot for the details. I was initially contemplating APC smart UPS (not online) and was quoted 15k including tax for the 1.5KVA model. But now leaning towards Libert online 1KVA since the price difference is not that much.

Mandeep,

I am also thinking the same way now. Did you call Libert distributor on +91 803 315 4000? Because I had tried the number several times but was not going through, saying number inactive or something.

I got 1KVA Liebert online UPS for Rs 16800/- (tax inclusive), i was also quoted Rs 18000/- initially, but after negotiation i got the price reduced, the price they are giving you seems to be on the higher side , but i am not sure as this is a new series.

Wow that is a good price. If I could get it for that price, I think it would be wiser to pay 1800 bucks more and get the Libert 1KVA online instead of the APC 1.5KVA non-online one. Any bargaining tips you could share with us :)

I am a bit surprised at the pricing of these online UPS units. IMHO, they should cost a bit more if they are true pure sine wave online UPS units. I know my 1.5 KVA pure sine wave online APC unit cost about 3-4 times the price mentioned.

I just spoke to one of the Libert distributor here in Bangalore. These are the prices for 1KvA online UPS

Liebert 1KvA 15-20 Min 18K + Taxes
1 hr 21k+taxes
2Hr 24+Taxes
3Hr 28+ Taxes

Since I have generator backup in my Apt, I am planning to go for 15 Min backup battery only. Do you think these are the reasonable prices??

@Mandeep, @Sgajjala: Are these prices for internal battery model or the extended run external battery model? If yes, are the prices including battery?

I met the Zonal Channel Manager of Emerson Network Power today. I was quoted the following price for 1KVA pure online UPS extended run external battery model,

1KVA UPS equipment - 16000+taxes
3 * 7AH external batteries - 1500+taxes
wires misc - 500
Total - 19000

More batteries could be added in future to extend backup time. Is this price on the higher side?

Last edited:
Hi ukr,
I spoke to one of the distributor here in Bangalore. The final price for 1KVA Liebert is 15.5K
This is with internal battery. I think he is ordering 1000 units and if I confirm, he will order one for me also.

If you are interested let me know, together we can order . Let me know ur response.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back