Quest for the ultimate 2.1 music system (decent budget)

EternalObserver

Hello everyone, I am looking for the ultimate 2.1 setup. I currently use the Swans M10, and I really really like it. My beloved music collection is all FLAC (Ripped from my own CDs, over the last decade). My Amp/DAC is Fiio e10K(laptop) and Focusrite 6i6(Desktop) I usually listen to rock, jazz, blues and a bit of metal. And for my purpose the M10 is amazing. But i'll get married soon and my better half(to be) is more into electronic music(trance,techno,house....). And here the Swans M10s falls short. I have two issues with it........lack of punchy bass and lack of good stereo imaging. Hence I am looking for an upgrade. I don't like buying things again and again, so i want to upgrade to one of the best 2.1 setups at one go......if possible. And I don't like compromising on sound quality. After a lot of online research, I have finalized on the following three setups:
1) Swans M50w - Rs 22000/- ($337)
2) JBL LSR305(pair) + JBL LSR310s - Rs 60000/-($920)
3) Pioneer SP-BS22-LR(pair) + Pioneer SW-8MK2 - Rs 30000/-($460)
4) Yamaha HS5(pair) + Yamaha HS8S - Rs 58000/_ ($890)
I am in India, and so I don't have a wide variety to choose from. Also everything here is 50% more expensive than in USA. These four options are available in India and I can afford them. I simply want the best sounding speakers and I want them to last for a long time. I have a decent sized room 14"x14", and usually listen to my M10s at 80% volume.
This is all I have to say. Now what would you guys suggest? Are my choices any good? Which one to go for?

Hello there,

Would like to suggest another option, if I may. You can look at the Pioneer FS52 towers instead of bookshelves, if you have the space for floorstanders. I am using them and i can tell you, these are gems. You wont find anything that sound as good as these in this budget or even beyond. These should not cost you more than 25 or 26k.

If you do not have the space for floorstanders you can consider Elac B6 bookshelves. Excellent speakers for around 24k.

For subwoofer you can look at Taga TSW200 for 23k from HiFiMart. Well within your budget.

Thanks

One of the best 2.0 setup I have audition was Roksan Kandy amplifier with Jamo D590 speakers. You will forget multichannel setup . If budget permit, the best stereo setup money can buy.

One of the best 2.0 setup I have audition was Roksan Kandy amplifier with Jamo D590 speakers. You will forget multichannel setup . If budget permit, the best stereo setup money can buy.
How much would each of those be priced at, tentatively?

I had audition them in What hi-fi show Mumbai's last year. Tight and agile bass with full control. lively midrange, detailed and clear high frequencies. Tightly knited sound stage with focused image. No need of subwoofer for low frequency. Cost may be 2.5 Lakh for entire set.

Hello there,

Would like to suggest another option, if I may. You can look at the Pioneer FS52 towers instead of bookshelves, if you have the space for floorstanders. I am using them and i can tell you, these are gems. You wont find anything that sound as good as these in this budget or even beyond. These should not cost you more than 25 or 26k.

If you do not have the space for floorstanders you can consider Elac B6 bookshelves. Excellent speakers for around 24k.

For subwoofer you can look at Taga TSW200 for 23k from HiFiMart. Well within your budget.

Thanks
What AVR are u using for Pioneers?

My budget is 60k max and I would prefer powered/active speakers. The Jamos are way out of my budget, and i dont have enough space for floor standing speakers. I auditioned a couple of Mackie CR4 studio monitors and I must say I was impressed. The owner told me that monitors will in gerenal be better than bookshelf speakers in the same price range. Is it true? cause as of now I am leaning towards the JBLs more and more......

I have no idea about studio monitors. Within your budget you can get decent amplifier and Bookshelf speakers from classified section. Few Marantz, Denon, Monitor Audio, Dali, Boston Acoustics product are available at reasonable price.Check if you wish to....Have one.

There are pros and cons to both approaches. Separates give you better opportunities to upgrade in case you get bored or something breaks down. You can replace just the amp or the speakers if something breaks down or you feel an upgrade is in order. Monitors on the other hand, have matching amp's built in making it easier. Fewer cables and less space is also a plus. But no upgradation is possible because it's a all in one system. Also it's the least technical approach to getting the music to play. Do check out Adam audio monitors, they have a sweet top end with the magic of ribbons.

Hello everyone, I am looking for the ultimate 2.1 setup. I currently use the Swans M10, and I really really like it. My beloved music collection is all FLAC (Ripped from my own CDs, over the last decade). My Amp/DAC is Fiio e10K(laptop) and Focusrite 6i6(Desktop) I usually listen to rock, jazz, blues and a bit of metal. And for my purpose the M10 is amazing. But i'll get married soon and my better half(to be) is more into electronic music(trance,techno,house....). And here the Swans M10s falls short. I have two issues with it........lack of punchy bass and lack of good stereo imaging. Hence I am looking for an upgrade. I don't like buying things again and again, so i want to upgrade to one of the best 2.1 setups at one go......if possible. And I don't like compromising on sound quality. After a lot of online research, I have finalized on the following three setups:
1) Swans M50w - Rs 22000/- ($337)
2) JBL LSR305(pair) + JBL LSR310s - Rs 60000/-($920)
3) Pioneer SP-BS22-LR(pair) + Pioneer SW-8MK2 - Rs 30000/-($460)
4) Yamaha HS5(pair) + Yamaha HS8S - Rs 58000/_ ($890)
I am in India, and so I don't have a wide variety to choose from. Also everything here is 50% more expensive than in USA. These four options are available in India and I can afford them. I simply want the best sounding speakers and I want them to last for a long time. I have a decent sized room 14"x14", and usually listen to my M10s at 80% volume.
This is all I have to say. Now what would you guys suggest? Are my choices any good? Which one to go for?

If you wish to add to your list, consider the Presonus Eris E5 powered monitors or if you have got the space for them the E8s.

@EternalObserver The Pioneers are brilliant speakers, i still use them in my secondary set-up, and they scale very well with better amplification.
i was using them with a Dayton DTA120 earlier and now the Nuforce DDA120, the improvements in midrange and highs are fantastic., and the bass is decent without a sub-woofer.
They are available for around 15K on Amazon india.

I doubt if any of these speakers can be driven adequately with a headphone amplifier though.

Last edited:
@EternalObserver The Pioneers are brilliant speakers, i still use them in my secondary set-up, and they scale very well with better amplification.
i was using them with a Dayton DTA120 earlier and now the Nuprime DDA120, the improvements in midrange and highs are fantastic., and the bass is decent without a sub-woofer.
They are available for around 15K on Amazon india.

I doubt if any of these speakers can be driven adequately with a headphone amplifier though.
I think 15k is for single speaker not pair...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back