Question about lossy formats

Has anyone done any listening comparisons of MP3 and OGG? I have a strong preference for it ideologically and because there should not be a question of encoders/decoders differing in quality. On the downside, everything plays MP3 and we don't even have to think about whether or not our device supports it.

The space crunch is probably a short term thing-prices of SD cards will be dropping, and probably at 32 GB or 64 GB I really may not bother too much about compression.
And if your device supports it, and you really want to carry a library of music around with you, you could go for FLAC. Lossless compression is the best of both worlds :)

Yes, I agree, carrying my library around is the best way to do it. I'm sure over the next year or two, in these days of fast emerging technologies and convergence, most smart phones will support large MicroSD cards.

I had use ogg sometime back but had to shift to mp3 for car since my car stereo doesn't support it.
I had seen a lot of stereos in CIS countries supporting ogg. If you want to use ogg for car then searching a stereo made in those countries might help.

I did do a comparison on my computer many years back but didn't notice any difference. I can't comment on the present quality difference among the two.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back