Question from an average user - for the same price do we buy the latest lower end model or a higher end model from 4-5 years back? Denon vs Marantz

arnprasad

Hi all
my quest for an affordable atmos upgrade continues and while I do notice that Indian AVR prices for the lower end models seem to be softening a bit, I have a chance to get it from UK in June as family has confirmed tickets

The Denon 1700H is available for 480 pounds vs Marantz 6012 for 550 GBP.

Given I dont need 4K 120 and 8K and all that and I dont care about room correction either, seems that Marantz is a better receiver although 5 years old. Assuming the seller is genuine and selling a brand new Marantz, which one would should I go for assuming they are available at these prices when the family visits in June,

For stereo amps you do get a better value from older amps but with HT, is the the latest better usually due to better DSP chips ? eg 4k while not as necessary now will only become more and more relevant in the future.
perhaps the latest is a better option here ?

One more reason to get newer receiver is to easily get the repairable parts from manufacturer in case of failure. Now a days quality of the avr's are already getting inferior, and the manufacturer's are focusing more on use and throw strategy that's why procuring spare parts of even 5-6 yr old systems are getting difficult.

Hi all
my quest for an affordable atmos upgrade continues and while I do notice that Indian AVR prices for the lower end models seem to be softening a bit, I have a chance to get it from UK in June as family has confirmed tickets

Given I dont need 4K 120 and 8K and all that and I dont care about room correction either, seems that Marantz is a better receiver although 5 years old. Assuming the seller is genuine and selling a brand new Marantz, which one would should I go for assuming they are available at these prices when the family visits in June,

If you are not bothered with having all the latest bells and whistles, then the marantz is a more expandable AVR, number of speakers wise. Iam using a SR6011 which is a generation older than the 6012 you are considering. It's running my 5.1.4 atmos setup superbly.

Now the impotant thing is that I only use OTT content via streaming apps built into my old LG TV. As OTT content is still lagging behind as regards formats and codecs. The marantz will be more than adequate for the task.

However if you plan on getting a UHD player or the latest streaming hardware and TV's. Then the lack of the latest codecs and formats support might become an issue with the marantz. In which case the newer denon will be better.

If you have very strict budget constraint then go with Marantz SRS6012 .
Denon AVR-X1700H is very basic , start looking from Denon 37xx series or beyond. I think it will cost 600 to 700 pounds.
Do not overthink to spend additional 100 to 200 pounds and get the latest AVR, Compare the price in india and decide, those will be definitely more expensive in India.

I completely agree with you. I took same decision when I bough SR6012 when 6013 is in the market and 6014 was about to launch. 6012 serves my purpose 4k & atmos. Additionally it has all Pre-out for 11.2 so I can even run 7.4.1 when I move to dedicated room. its just the other important point - parts availability. Otherwise I dont see any other reason not to go for.

And BTW I also got from ebay UK when I was in EU (then Brexit didnt happen so no additional tax)

And that too when we are moving towards connecting sources directly to displays and use eARC for Audio, this decision makes more sense.

If you are not bothered with having all the latest bells and whistles, then the marantz is a more expandable AVR, number of speakers wise. Iam using a SR6011 which is a generation older than the 6012 you are considering. It's running my 5.1.4 atmos setup superbly.

Now the impotant thing is that I only use OTT content via streaming apps built into my old LG TV. As OTT content is still lagging behind as regards formats and codecs. The marantz will be more than adequate for the task.

However if you plan on getting a UHD player or the latest streaming hardware and TV's. Then the lack of the latest codecs and formats support might become an issue with the marantz. In which case the newer denon will be better.
Totally agree with all the points elaborated. The 6012 may not be the latest but much higher up the hierarchy than the 1700H in terms of flexibility & power It should do with most of the formats though I am not sure of Imax if that is important in the current scenario which the Denon may have.

Last edited:
I will prefer highend model if it is unused and dealer ready to give support If they are used then can be the risk.

Many thanks everyone. My preferred mode are downloads from Pirate sites. Since I have unlimited fast broadband, I dont mind downloading 5-25GB rips although I have membership of most OTTs. I dont have a dedicated HT room and hence things like preouts and all - dont even know what they are and dont think I will ever use it. I dont think I will ever buy a PS5 and such. Its always a PC to Projector for me. No smart TVs and such.

Let me check if the 6012 is brand new as yesterday when I searched for the genuineness of the website, some reviews were negative and that website is usually known for selling returned or refurbished items.

Hi all

Hard to choose from. Marantz 6012. It is 9 channel thats my logic.

IMO, higher end older model.

Though you will the latest greatest features, I am okay miss the features for the build quality & experience of having a higher end model. If you observe 90% content is still 5.1 or at most 7.1 only. IMO, it doesn't matter whether atmos or 5.1, as long as it is presented very well, I mean you enjoy it more than an occasional atmos content.

One more reason to get newer receiver is to easily get the repairable parts from manufacturer in case of failure. Now a days quality of the avr's are already getting inferior, and the manufacturer's are focusing more on use and throw strategy that's why procuring spare parts of even 5-6 yr old systems are getting difficult.
My Demon AVR-1604 is 19 years old and still in use with no issues till date.

Hi all

Between the sr6012 and denon x1700...the marantz has better features and audyssey version. The latest model is sr6015 and Cinema 50 which is really expensive thanks to Covid etc. AVRs made in the 90s till early 2000s were really good and still last due to the parts and components used in them. The avrs you get today depending on model etc are built poorly or satisfactorily which gives an average lifespan of 3 to 7 years..depending on how its used and maintained.

Given the high prices, most have taken the preowned route to get the best avr to be used for sometime and update after a couple of years.

If the Older One is a Flagship model at that time, and you don't have doubts about either maintenance or Performance ; go with the Older one after checking out the future format compatibility issues if any...
For Eg : Iphone 14 vs Iphone 12 Pro Max , I'll go with 12 Pro Max...

If None of them is a Flagship go with the Newer one.

Those were the golden days. That times receivers were built like tank but we cannot expect same quality with today's receivers.
My Pioneer 1020K from USA used with step down transformer is still going strong after 13 years. I just need to figure a way out to repair its remote so that I Can use all the different sound processing options.

My Pioneer 1020K from USA used with step down transformer is still going strong after 13 years. I just need to figure a way out to repair its remote so that I Can use all the different sound processing options.
If the PCB of the remote is good, you can replace IR transmitter or the membrane by yourself. I've tried some and made it alive. Second option is universal remote.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back