Quick question on Electricity - AC vs DC, India vs USA

arnprasad

Hi..this week I am planning to buy this via relatives who are coming back from US.

Amazon.com: WD My Cloud EX2 8 TB: Pre-configured Network Attached Storage featuring WD Red Drives: Computers & Accessories

Most of my gadgets are from US which fall into two broad categories:

(a) Those which work on 110 to 240 volts and hence all I need is a plug adapter
(b) Those which will work only on 110 volts for which I use a power convertor.

Now when I look at the power needs of this NAS server, it says 12 V DC.

Hence my question is that since power is getting converted from AC to DC, can I ditch the original power chord, and buy an Indian power chord that gives a power out put of 12V DC. Because I do not want to buy a device that will work only on 110V and say while I will plug it into a power convertor, say some day some one in my family plug it directly into a power socket and my whole data goes for a toss.

Since I am spending 30K just to ensure all my data is backed up automatically - I want to ensure I am not buying something that works only on 110 volts. Hence please clarify whether a locally bought power chord that outputs to 12V DC can be used on this.... I am asking because the difference between India and US is not just 240 vs 110 volts but also differences in frequency 50 hz 60 hz and all that...not a techie...hence clarifying just to be on the safe side

sorry for the long post...hopefully the answer will be very short:clapping:

Also I dont mind buying it in India itself...but (a) I dont find it being sold here and (2) Lower capacity one that is sold has a huge premium over US price..

I think it will come with a power adapter which could be 100-240v and provides 12V DC current to the box. Most of these NAS are universal voltage and it is better to visit the official WD website to check the exact power ratings. Instead of the WD I would suggest go with the Synology 2-bay NAS + HDD based on your required/functional consumption capacity. I am using the DS214se version and very happy with its regular firmware updates, performance and low it also comes with universal voltage adapter.

Hence please clarify whether a locally bought power chord that outputs to 12V DC can be used on this.... I am asking because the difference between India and US is not just 240 vs 110 volts but also differences in frequency 50 hz 60 hz and all that...not a techie...hence clarifying just to be on the safe side

sorry for the long post...hopefully the answer will be very short:clapping:

Also I dont mind buying it in India itself...but (a) I dont find it being sold here and (2) Lower capacity one that is sold has a huge premium over US price..

Power cords do not output 12v. They will simply output the voltage on the mains (230v in India). The above NAS comes with a power adaptor which outputs 12v DC. You need to check the AC range that the power adaptor is designed for. It will on a label or printed on the power adaptor. If it is designed for 110 to 220 volts, you don't have to worry (most adaptors are now days). Simply change the AC cord which has a indian plug or buy a cheaply available adaptor which goes into a indian AC outlet and allows you to plug in US ac plug. If your power adaptor is meant only for 110v then you will have to buy a step down transformer to reduce the 220v to 110v.

50hz or 60Hz does not matter. The ac adaptor is going to convert that to 12v DC (which I call 0 Hz:D)

Last edited:
I think it will come with a power adapter which could be 100-240v and provides 12V DC current to the box. Most of these NAS are universal voltage and it is better to visit the official WD website to check the exact power ratings. Instead of the WD I would suggest go with the Synology 2-bay NAS + HDD based on your required/functional consumption capacity. I am using the DS214se version and very happy with its regular firmware updates, performance and low it also comes with universal voltage adapter.

Thanks for the suggestion..but I am no techie..all I need is a hard drive that has an auto back up. Since the one I am trying to buy is plug and play..went for it. The one you quoted - do I buy the NAS then buy internal hard drives and assemble it myself? I will google...but I am a chartered accountant..so let see if I can get my head around it.....happy to buy it in India itself instead of troubling people plus also peace of mind due to India guarantee..

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestion..but I am no techie..all I need is a hard drive that has an auto back up. Since the one I am trying to buy is plug and play..went for it. The one you quoted - do I buy the NAS then buy internal hard drives and assemble it myself? I will google...but I am a chartered accountant..so let see if I can get my head around it.....happy to buy it in India itself instead of troubling people plus also peace of mind due to India guarantee..

The Synology one is just plug and play very simple. You just need to open the NAS cover and insert couple of HDD if you buy a 2-bay device and switch on. Yes you need to buy the Synology NAS device and as well as HDD drives separately. The WD one comes preloaded with 2x4TB HDD and hence may be cheaper considering the cost coming to $438 including the HDD. The Synology one + separate HDD might be costing more but definitely a robust and reliable solution with lot more features. You can read it online regarding the same and also their is a long thread in the forum. Please read and I hope your CA skills can make a wise decision :)

I checked a document which said it includes an AC Adaptor..hence hoping its universal voltage..it also says 12 V, 3.0 amps 36 watts.

Thanks @ maniraj. But given that all i want is a hard drive and a back up and may be trying to access the data on all my devices over a network/internet you think I should go for Synology...will google on my way home today evening :)

A router with a USB jack will let you access a hard drive from any device connected to the network.
Fo example the TP-Link TD-W8968 which I have used for this purpose.
Just in case this might interest you.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back