Radio Licence (India) from the 60s and 70s...Pics attached.. Believe it or not!

Well said Ashok. Old memories-of going to the telegraph office to make international calls, of course Money order (and TMO) were commonly used.

Also, booking "trunk" calls.

I also have memories of us going to the neighbour's home to use their phone for making local calls. Dad was with DOT (now BSNL) and was entitled to a free phone but he did not subscribe for one as he did not want to use official benefits for personal use.

nzltlh.jpg

Our Philips valve radio with various licenses. Credit for preserving this goes to my mom.

Bad news is a year back it was working but when I turned it on with two small bursts smoke came out. So will need repair. The glass plate has also developed bubbles, so am looking for that too. Will pay good money if anyone has same model. Need only glass plate.
Regards.

Hi hiten,

if you like to sell pls email me. I live in dombivli. If interested pls email me on my email id [email protected]

Dear Sir,

This the India Philips Prestige. There were two models
- 15RB505 released in 1969
- 15RB525 released in 1972. Your's seem to be the '72 model.

I think the power condenser i your radio has gone bust. The original is 47uf+47uf dual section can TESLA make. It is very easy to install a replacement.

And don't bother about the glass dial. Any replacement dial you find will have those blisters and wiggly lines. This is a problem in all the Philips radio from that era. Strange as the earlier Philips radios still have perfect imprints.

That apart this radio is virtually indestructible and the audio is very sweet. I have one of these and it is on for almost 5 hours every day. It has watered down features such as lack of band spread but the performance is still top notch. My regular listening is Vividh Bharti on 30M from Bangalore, AIR National Channel and the AIR Urdu service.
Thanks bhai,
Sorry for late reply. Yes it seems caps problem. Will check and update. I have made artwork of the the plate, will see if it can be screen printed. Original is screen printed too. I don't listen to it but in the past I had hooked it up with record player with ceramic cartridge. Sounded good. Looks like it should be played often which I will do so. Please do not call me sir :)
Warm regards.

Last edited:
India was a young country in the 60s.Millions of peaple had to be introduced to the fruits of freedom.Post offices,railway stations, ration shops etc were the tools through which the government of the nascent India used to reach the millions for implementing the development ideas. Alas, self interest of peaple at all levels of the society was stronger than the national interest, and so we became the most corrupt society/country in the world instead.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back