RCA cables affect soundquality?

krishtrinity

I am using a monitor audio m2 speakers with Marantz PM5004 connected to laptop with a schiit modi DAC while i use fairly good speaker cable the rca cable that i use to connect the DAC to amp is a bit old and cheap as well,i also feel there is a little bit of quality loss and audio quality doesn't seem to be as good as hearing through headphones.In rock and metal songs the upper frequencies doesn't seem to be very clear.My question is will the audio quality improve with better rca cables?

Dear krishtrinity,
To cut this thread short ;)
Would suggest to borrow some ICs from friends.
Put in your setup and see if it makes any difference.

Like noted by other FMs its a never ending story. Its just so much simple to just try out some stuff in your own setup as every setup is unique and more importantly we are all gifted with different pairs of ears :)

I'm sure there are many helpful FMs who would be glad to lend a pair of ICs in your town.

Hope you enjoy the experiment.

Thanks for the help,i am going to try a diy cable from a guy i know,then i will borrow a high end rca from a friend just to find the difference

qualtiy doesnt increase or decrease
it just "changes" the quality
only you will know if you liked or didnt like "that" particular "change" at that particular time

and mind you you may or may not begin to like a particular change as you mature in the audio game
So, we have matured over time and saying politically correct sentence now! [emoji6]

Quiet disagree here.
The OP is saying he has cheap cable.
IF the cables are the really cheap red and white RCA we usually get bundled free when we buy a mid range component, then it is a sure thing that a new and good quality cable will only improve the sound.

IF the current cables are the El cheapo ones, they are around 28AWG and zero shielding and it will be easy to see an improvement.

qualtiy doesnt increase or decrease
it just "changes" the quality
only you will know if you liked or didnt like "that" particular "change" at that particular time

Magna, I agree with your statement... Sound always be there, but an interconnect cable 'changes' its total tonality. Output sound signature may be as like you and reverse versa, depenting on person to person......

In my experience, good/decent cables are extremely important in a setup to transfer the signal from one equipment to the other in the chain without any loss or colouration (impacting the original sound in some manner)!!! Either one of this or both will happen for sure in very cheap cables.

One should accept the fact that a significant change/improvement in the sound cannot be heard by using expensive cables in a entry/mid level setup ... Unfortunately most of the entry/mid level setup owners would not be able to hear any differences between cheap cables and low priced branded cables in their setup whereas in most high-end setups, changes/improvements can be heard very clearly with different cables where the EQUIPMENTS ARE CAPABLE TO REVEAL. Kindly note that I am only trying to share my findings and not to offend anyone who is using entry/mid level setup ... in fact mine is also a mid level setup :)

In one particular meet of four music enthusiasts which includes my friend who started the countdown for a nuclear war on this thread :) observed noticable changes in a setup by just replacing the stock power cord with a high-end power cord on his McCormack power amplifier. It may sound untrue but unless and until personally experienced it is difficlt for anyone to believe/accept this fact.

Anyway, few points to remember before buying cables .....

Try not to spend more than 20-25% of your total system cost for the cables.

Borrow few cables from friends, hook it up in your setup and check whether you are able to hear significant changes/improvements in the output.

If you find a suitable cable AS PER YOUR LIKING buy one else just retain the existing cable ... CHEERS

I am using a monitor audio m2 speakers with Marantz PM5004 connected to laptop with a schiit modi DAC while i use fairly good speaker cable the rca cable that i use to connect the DAC to amp is a bit old and cheap as well,i also feel there is a little bit of quality loss and audio quality doesn't seem to be as good as hearing through headphones.In rock and metal songs the upper frequencies doesn't seem to be very clear.My question is will the audio quality improve with better rca cables?

Room treatment may be cheaper and will produce an actual improvement.

and a curious question : is rock and metal good material for figuring out upper end response ? I tend to listen for the guitars and drums and so on, also Tech Tip: EQ Curves and Musical Style | The HUB

ciao
gr

Room treatment is one of the most ignored points that will show significant benefits.
Example - add curtains to a French window, bass traps Etc etc

Rock is busy music.
A good benchmark is to listen to a live concert and then the stereo and see how the instruments sound.

One question to experts. ..!

If I want to go with a DIY interconnects, what Guage wire I should go with? This is for a setup not more than 50k...?

Can I go with a shielded wire shown in below image? (this is available in most if the electronics shops)

Any advise will be helpful

uploadfromtaptalk1429546126627.jpg

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back