RCA interconnect cable (pair) ground connection question.

sim_tcr

Hello,

When making DIY RCA interconnect cable (pair), can a single ground wire be used for left and right or a dedicated ground wire for each?
I am attaching drawings.

common.jpg

single.jpg

electrically both will work. The bottom one is prefered because you can twist the wires to elminate EMI. The bottom configuration will also work for independent mono blocks which have no common ground connection between them.

Hello,

When making DIY RCA interconnect cable (pair), can a single ground wire be used for left and right or a dedicated ground wire for each?
I am attaching drawings.

View attachment 73037

View attachment 73038
Yes it can be used. I have tried it But if you keep separate ground for each channel ,it may better to keep noise or mixing

follow the advice given above and go with the 2nd configuration. Use closely twisted pair cables, you can also hack any ethernet cable and use two of its pairs, if needed untwist and retwist them closely.
If you are not twisting and use straight wires, the jacket them with a simple cotton cloth to prevent sagging.
But twisted is the logical way to go.

Also, if you are using the above type of connectors (they are called baluns), then be very careful as the +ve and -ve being very close, it can lead to short and blow your equipment. ensure that there are no stray wires at the connection points. If possible solder the ends before screwing-in.

follow the advice given above and go with the 2nd configuration. Use closely twisted pair cables, you can also hack any ethernet cable and use two of its pairs, if needed untwist and retwist them closely.
If you are not twisting and use straight wires, the jacket them with a simple cotton cloth to prevent sagging.
But twisted is the logical way to go.

Plus 1 to this. Twisting will cancel emi and contribute a lot towards reducing noise pickup

Also, if you are using the above type of connectors (they are called baluns), then be very careful as the +ve and -ve being very close, it can lead to short and blow your equipment. ensure that there are no stray wires at the connection points. If possible solder the ends before screwing-in.
@sim_tcr When using baluns, the strands will break in the exposed section after the insulation ends and the portion where it is inserted in the balun. This is because metal wires are ductile and malleable. when you bend any metal wire back and forth, it gets thinner and thinner at the bend and ultimately break. When movement the strands will break. With such a configuration I usually do the following

1) Tin the exposed strands at both the ends using a soldering rod.
2) Insert the tinned wire as much as possible so that the wire is totally inside but the insulation is just outside.
3) After you have tightened the screws, pour molten wax so that the holes are totally covered and you can clearly see the insulated portion inside the wax

After you to the above any movement (when you fiddle with the wires) will not happen in the exposed section but will happen on the insulated section. This is a kind of strain relief and will go a long way in not having the wires break at the balun ends. I hope you have understood what I am saying.

@Kannan @mbhangui

I found some old ethernet cable which only has 2 twisted pairs inside (I don't know why) and for that reason the whole cable is thin and flexible.

Was thinking if I can use the cable as is, (Its already twisted inside the jacket). I will use only one pair for one RCA to RCA interconnect, other pair I will leave as is.

spaint.jpg

@Kannan @mbhangui

I found some old ethernet cable which only has 2 twisted pairs inside (I don't know why) and for that reason the whole cable is thin and flexible.

Was thinking if I can use the cable as is, (Its already twisted inside the jacket). I will use only one pair for one RCA to RCA interconnect, other pair I will leave as is.

View attachment 73147
why not, you can very well use them

Do you think this option is better than shielded coaxial cable?
The length intended for the cable is maximum a feet.
That cable is for carrying two lines for telephones. My guess is that it will be copper. For audio frequencies that will have better conductivity than coaxial cables. That cable is most probably a CAT 3 cable.

The coaxial cables are mostly CCA (copper clad aluminium). For high frequencies (in MHz), the electricity flows on the outer surface due to skin effect. This implies for very high frequencies, having copper on the outer surface is as good as having the full conductor made of copper. This reduces the price of these cables without impacting the conductivity.

Do you think this option is better than shielded coaxial cable?
The length intended for the cable is maximum a feet.
If you want to go with coax, go with those made for digital audio and not the usual TV type or antennae cables.
Also with coax cables, you cannot use thes type of Balun connectors

@Kannan @mbhangui

View attachment 73147
This is a cat 3 cable. Notice that the twists on the pairs are not even so each pair will perform differently for noise rejection.

Use either only orange pair for both channels or green pair. Same for cat5 cables and above. All 4 pairs are twisted differently

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back