Real Difference b/w LCD & LED TVs

Saket

Hello Video Gurus!

As the title of the thread says, my query is exactly that only: Real striking differences between LCD & LED TVs. I know that LED is used as the lighting source in LED TVs but wanted to know the impact on it's picture quality vis--vis LCD sets.

How much is the real difference? I have seen both sets but did not found the difference to be really something which can be documented. Is that only my observation or Gurus have a different take on it...please let me know!

Regards.

Hello Video Gurus!

As the title of the thread says, my query is exactly that only: Real striking differences between LCD & LED TVs. I know that LED is used as the lighting source in LED TVs but wanted to know the impact on it's picture quality vis--vis LCD sets.

How much is the real difference? I have seen both sets but did not found the difference to be really something which can be documented. Is that only my observation or Gurus have a different take on it...please let me know!

Regards.

I am not an expert/Guru, but I can share my thoughts. As you said, for low end LCD and LED sets, we may not see much difference in terms of PQ. But in mid-range LED will offer silgtly better PQ compared to the one offered by an LCD set.
1. LED source can be switched on/off very fastly, but CCFL cannot be done so at a fast rate. As a result, modern LED sets use Backlight-dimming with on/off at some high frequency. That is, the LED source is switched on/off fastly so that the edges of an image object look sharp. Since the on/off frequency is very high, our humany eyes cannot perceive the flicker and the images will look sharper with slightly more black level (as the light from LED source is not ON always). From that perspective, LED can look better.
2. RGB LED: Some TVs like sharp, Sony XBR8 have this type of LED which can offer better color gamut.

This has been answered many many times over.Unless the lcd has a local dimming LED there is no visible difference in PQ.If anything the EDGE LED tvs are more brighter which leads to color being more eye catchy ,more so in lcd vs led in larger sizes.Some tvs which although lack local dimming can still control the backlight/edgelight quickly in LED to increase the dynamic contrast ratio.

But practically LED tvs will still be better because they can use a more newer panel with better native contrast and natively higher color bit panel.This doesn't apply to low end models.

From this year many companies have discontinued CCFL-LCD, so it will all be LED-LCD from this year models.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back