Really, how should I wire this up? Stereo + HT + NAS

pguy

Over the next month, I intend to finalize my speakers and the associated electronics along with it. As I delve deeper into the electronics I might require, I also realize I could simply end up burning up a lot of cash without really requiring to spend as much.

Needs: Primarily Stereo Audio (80%), HT (20%)

Budget: Speakers - ~3L/pair for the front FS. Surround + Center+ Sub: ~2L

Amps+preamps+AVR+Blu Ray Players+other electronics - ~2/3 L. I'd buy the electronics and the fronts first and then the surrounds/centers/subs

Now how well do all the electronic components work or talk to each other is something I ain't too sure of. I will be using CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays/Ipods/ripped MP3s, as sources. Will also possibly need a NAS to store movies/music (high resolution) and stream them over.

I'd prefer to keep the music at its highest fidelity and would like to invest in the electronics accordingly. What do you guys suggest I do? What do I buy, how do all the components talk to each other etc?

If I had your kind of budget, I would rather hire a professional. As said before, If you still want a DIY job then enlighten yourself. There is plethora of knowledge.

Go to dealers to get few demos and basic understanding. Then you will have some listening impressions and specific questions to ask.

Few things that will confuse you:
1. whether to buy a "musical" avr or a stereo amp or both. If you buy both, then how do avr and stereo amps would connect. For this, best option is to buy an avr with at least front left/ right pre-outs.
2. what is the complexity of the system for users at your place? Will you be operating all the time, or do you want it super easy for your kids/ wife to operate? Answer to this question will change a lot of things.
3. Do you intend to go for tubes/ hi efficiency speakers for stereo? Then the research may be long winded, unless you settle for lyrita.
4. what will be the source for music? Are you a person who wants everything on a hdd, or are you strongly in the camp of playing cdps. This will determine your transport and dac. If CDP, then you may not need a dac, but if you use hdd based transport like a netbook or a dedicated music pc, you would need a dac, or a very good sound card.
5. What is the room size, type of music you listen to - these questions will determine actual product recommendations.
6. For music, the biggest factor is speakers. So first thing you should research and close is speakers, and in parallel also see what amp would go with it. Since system synergy is important, it is best if you audition your finally selected speakers, amp and cdp/ dac before spending money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response. I think I ended up putting too wide a question to be answered. Some parts of the decision making process I am almost through. This thread had more to do with the electronics and how well they might talk to each other.

On the speakers front, I will not finalize anything until I audition the full monty of speakers I want to listen to. There is a separate thread on the speakers on HFV itself where I post updates and ask advice: http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/14685-gallos-psb-mythos.html

For this, best option is to buy an avr with at least front left/ right pre-outs.

In which case the AVR acts as a pre-amp? Since the primary need is Stereo sound, are there pre-amps with an HT/AVR out?

2. what is the complexity of the system for users at your place? Will you be operating all the time, or do you want it super easy for your kids/ wife to operate? Answer to this question will change a lot of things.

It has to be super easy to operate and I wouldn't mind a premium on that. Everybody needs to be able to enjoy the system, but not at the cost of the sound quality

3. Do you intend to go for tubes/ hi efficiency speakers for stereo? Then the research may be long winded, unless you settle for lyrita.

This I haven't researched well enough to have an opinion on. I'll read more, audition and then take a call on this.

4. what will be the source for music? Are you a person who wants everything on a hdd, or are you strongly in the camp of playing cdps. This will determine your transport and dac. If CDP, then you may not need a dac, but if you use hdd based transport like a netbook or a dedicated music pc, you would need a dac, or a very good sound card.

I own CDs for most the music I want to hear, but then I will also require possible IPOD/USB connectivity as well. A NAS might be added to it as well so that I can stream blu-rays/audio rips directly from the NAS. These audio/bluray rips will be at the highest quality.

5. What is the room size, type of music you listen to - these questions will determine actual product recommendations.

Yes, doing that as I audition speakers

6. For music, the biggest factor is speakers. So first thing you should research and close is speakers, and in parallel also see what amp would go with it. Since system synergy is important, it is best if you audition your finally selected speakers, amp and cdp/ dac before spending money.

That is the idea, first the speakers and the amps. Two things could happen here: If I go for an EP 2.3, then I'll require 2 amps just for the front speakers (they do require bi-amping), for others, I could use an amp for the L/R and then the AVR to do the surrounds + center + LFE.

Two elements I don't understand too well in terms of connectivity are the DACs and the NAS. With a pre-amp/amp/avr, where does the dac fit in. Do models come in with the requisite connectivity. Also do NAS served content require specific players etc.

DAC here refers to a 2 channel digital to analog conversion. Since digital is less prone to emi/ rfi noise, it is best to decode to analog outside the transport (ie, laptop, or cdp). Also, inbuilt dacs in laptops, ipods etc are not that great quality when compared to dedicated DACs. CDPs generally are single box transport+dac so they give out digital and analog both. While analog out is very good from CDPs, their DACs are mostly not usable for other transports like laptops.

HT out from pre-amps is a difficult to find thing (impossible). Most music gear focuses on 2 channel, HT has 7.1 or 7.2 channels of lossless digital audio. AVRs have dacs for these many input channels. All these channels are digitally sent to avr via hdmi cable.

So normally these are the chains

avr analog pre-outs -> int stereo amp (or pre amp) -> speakers.
dac (or cdp) line out -> int stereo amp (or pre amp) -> speakers

So while watching a movie, you have two pre-amps in the chain. You can keep vol of your stereo pre at 12 o clock and then adjust volume using avr.

While listening music using your cdp, you can turn off your avr.

Also, when listening to music not so critically, you may use ipod connectivity that comes with avr. Most avrs have ipod docks available/ bundled with them.

However, in the above model, your avr, stereo amp (or pre/power) needs to be switched on for watching movies and listening to music via ipod.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back