Really need you guys help to decide about my sterio hi fi setup

demigod

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for opening a new thread, but i really need your help to decide on my setup.
I learnt about Norge and Wharfedale in some of the threads in this forum. So decided to test it myself, i went to Silo media in Pune. Unfortunately they had only Norge 2060 and Wharf 9.1.

I tested this combo, by playing MLTR and few other hindi film songs. MLTR sounded better than other CD's. However i was not very much impressed with the sound as it's mentioned in few other threads.

During the test, i used controls only from Norge, Vol, Bass, Treb but i did not adjust the volume of DVD player (Pioneer in this case).

We switched the speakers to 10.1 as 9.2 was not available. 10.1 sounded better than 9.1 but not much big difference. Hearing the price of 10.1 i did not focus much on 10.1

Now coming back to the question, i'm looking for a decent system to listen to film songs mostly in normal, mid level volume. I'm looking for more clarity than anything else like high power or volume to party.

For this kind of setup (what do you call laid back sound???, pardon my ignorance) what do you suggest. will Norge 1000 with Wharf 9.2 will do? Or should i go for something else? Also other than Silo Media is there any other Hi Fi shops in Pune?

Please help.

PS: I already have Yamaha Rx 440 for my 5.1 setup but which do not sound good in 2 channel music.

Really appricate your fast respone, as need to buy this setup before X-mas. :)

Hi

First of all welcome to this wonderful forum. Whats the size of your room and whats the budget. If your budget is less then 20k the amp , then look at Marantz PM 5003 , CA 540 . These both amplifiers are very good. For speakers you can look for the Dali lektor , Jamo along with the Wharfedale.

Thanks, my room size is 12X15. My budget is from 25 to 30K.
Can anyone suggest, where can i audition Marantz in Pune?

thanks again.

How about Norge 2000 against 1000?
Also Wharfedale 10 series better than 9 series?

Hi demigod,
My comments...
1. I haven't heard Norge 2000, however reviews on this forum suggest they delivers more bass, however the treble-end is "rolled-off" /less extension of treble-freq and less intensity. Since the "clarity" you want is also dependent on treble-end, I wouldn't suggest Norge 2000. Try giving it an audition and decide with your ears.

2. Try sourcing WD 9.2 from somewhere else (search this forum.... there is a dealers section). I will try to send some contacts by tomorrow.

3. Try audition of Norge Millenium BS @12k approx (most likely it is possible in Norge-Membai factory). These are also considered good match for Norge 1000 and sound good overall.

4. Try audition of Usher 520S bookshelf (@24k approx). These have been highly rated in this forum for details and clarity (again possible in Mumbai only) Search for "Sridhar" in this forum. He can arrange audition in Mumbai.

I don't know any other HiFi grade bookshelfs in your budget that cover 50Hz to 20Khz (with reasonably flat response). Maybe others can suggest more options.

Regds,

My opinion-

If wharf 9 then Norge 1000,(forward)
If wharf 10 then Norge 2000(laid back type).

I suggest to wait and search patiently for the Di9.2. You never know when you have the mood to blast the hell out of your stereo system. I can assure you that the 9.2 will not let you down in such instance. I traded my 9.2 for 9.3...to connect with Marantz PM6002.

I have no idea about Norge (some Tibetan guy from Dharamsala I guess:lol::lol:)

I suggest to wait and search patiently for the Di9.2. You never know when you have the mood to blast the hell out of your stereo system. I can assure you that the 9.2 will not let you down in such instance. I traded my 9.2 for 9.3...to connect with Marantz PM6002.

I have no idea about Norge (some Tibetan guy from Dharamsala I guess:lol::lol:)

imho, since norge originally had a tie up with tandberg, a company from norway, also referred to as norge (if any of u are into philately, norwegian stamps have norge written across), the name, like moscow is muscva.

norge is mumbai based run by mr. shyam bajaj. Norge Audio

imho, since norge originally had a tie up with tandberg, a company from norway, also referred to as norge (if any of u are into philately, norwegian stamps have norge written across), the name, like moscow is muscva.

norge is mumbai based run by mr. shyam bajaj. Norge Audio

Thanks hifiashok for the information on Norge from Norway. I guess the norge amplifiers from Norway must be beautiful sounding as their pretty Norwegian girls, harsh as their winters, strong as their aquavit, fresh as their salmons, and as crazy as their midnight sun.......a sheer diversity. I recollect the time I was there couple of years ago.

Yes, I can say for sure that the Norge and Wharfedales were meant for each other. I don't know who is the dealer of Norge in Thailand so that I can go for audition during the weekend :licklips::licklips:

ravin,very unlikely.they dont even have too many dealers in india!rest assured,mr bajaj is a thorough gentleman and answers mail/queries promptly.they are definitely incredible vfm.cheers

Last edited:
Hi demigod,

2. Try sourcing WD 9.2 from somewhere else (search this forum.... there is a dealers section). I will try to send some contacts by tomorrow.

Regds,

Hi Demigod,
For benefit of all, giving contact details of all shops in Pune that deal in Wharfedale:

SILO MEDIA & SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD.
For Wharfedale/Quad/Norge
Off No.3 & 4, 'A' Wing, 1st Floor, Mittal Court,
Opp. Mahesh Lunch Home,
PCTS-478, Rasta Peth, Pune 411011.
Tel: +91-20-65218261, 9822066943 (Mr. Behram), 9881548048

NISARG AVISHKAR
For Wharfedale
Satara Road, Pune.
Tel: (9520) 24225001, 24223159, 9422030330, 9423566435.

Audio Visual and More
Koregaon Park, Pune - for Wharfedale/Quad
Ph: 5609 6339

Regds,

ravin,very unlikely.they dont even have too many dealers in india!rest assured,mr bajaj is a thorough gentleman and answers mail/queries promptly.they are definitely incredible vfm.cheers

I will probably try getting hold of Norge amps when I go to India next April. Or maybe I can ask somebody to carry one for me.....gotta try it out and see how good it compares with established brandnames.

Be Indian buy Indian policy I guess :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks hifiashok for the information on Norge from Norway. I guess the norge amplifiers from Norway must be beautiful sounding as their pretty Norwegian girls, harsh as their winters, strong as their aquavit, fresh as their salmons, and as crazy as their midnight sun.......a sheer diversity. I recollect the time I was there couple of years ago.

Yes, I can say for sure that the Norge and Wharfedales were meant for each other. I don't know who is the dealer of Norge in Thailand so that I can go for audition during the weekend :licklips::licklips:

Hi.
pay on line and import it from india man:licklips:

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
I have settled for Norge 1000 with Wharf 9.2.
Two weeks back, i brought 9.2 with Norge 2000 as 1000 was not available. However with the condition that i'll check 1000 when it'll be available and exchange it with 2000.
So for two weeks, i tried running 2000 with 9.2 and i found the bass was more like it's mentioned by many and the clarity i was expecting it was missing.
Yesterday 1000 arrived and tested it again with 9.2 and i loved it much better than 2000. There was so much of clarity in the treble part and Bass is also not compromised too much.
Still the amp and speakers are brand new and i was told to burn few hundred hours to break-in the amp and to open-up the speaker.
I'm very happy with what i got and still waiting to get them tuned as time comes.

Now once again thanks to this wonderful forum, for introducing me to Norge and Wharf.

Still lot of many other things i'm trying to explore.

- getting a custom made speaker stand. As Wharf costs almost 8k. Any specific places in Pune to explore the options for speaker stands. I found some wooden CD racks in Home store@MG road they seemed suitable for my BS, but they weren't looking very nice.

- Currently i'm using standard speaker connections. BTW, i forgot to mention i took audio quest cables and interconnects for around 2K. they are connected to speakers using the default cross-over plates provided with wharf.
Is Bi-Wiring will produce any significant difference in SQ?

Norge 1000 is forward sounding amp & 2000 lad back.With laidback wharf 9.2 spk,1000 is the better match as you foung.

Congrates & happy listening.

Hi Demigod

where did you get 9.2s for 8k? Brand new?

Regards
Hi Gobble, if i read demigod's post, he is talking about Wharf speaker stand costing 8k and he wants to explore other options. BTW, i do not even know whether wharf makes stands - but just reading the post. I may be wrong in my understanding.

swami

8k is for stand made by Wharf. Wharf is also making stands similar to AAD but with glass top.
I got Wharf Di9.2 for 15K, Norge 10K

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back