Recapping & Overhauling a Technics SP10 MK2

anilva

Folks,

Recently my Technics SP10 MK2 turntable was giving some intermittent problems. This is manufactured in 1980 and obviously due to it's age the electrolytic caps must have gone bad.

Therefore I set about replacing all the caps in the SP10 deck as well as the separate power supply that this unit comes with. There are nearly 30-40 caps that I had to desolder and change with new ones, with out damaging the delicate 30 years old PCBs.

I also took the opportunity to completely clean up the deck and the bearings and relube them. I have taken some pictures which may be of interest to you. When I was going through the job, I was not sure, whether I would end up with a working SP10 again and hence fewer pictures. But in the end, it all turned out to be great.

Now I am pretty sure of getting another 30 years of service from this legendary turntable.

Cheers.

Great job,is that a F5 in your imageshack album.From where did you source the enclosure for your amp?

Regards,
Sachin

Great job!

Just couple of days back I was talking same thing to Sachin regarding my SL1200. It does not have any problem. Before these aging electrolyte caps damage anything better to replace them.

Actually I ordered parts and waiting for them. Just hold on myself till some problem creeps in. So far nothing.

BTW, how much time it took to complete job from start to finish?

Great job!

Just couple of days back I was talking same thing to Sachin regarding my SL1200. It does not have any problem. Before these aging electrolyte caps damage anything better to replace them.

Actually I ordered parts and waiting for them. Just hold on myself till some problem creeps in. So far nothing.

BTW, how much time it took to complete job from start to finish?

I don't know how old your SL1200 is, but my SP10 is made in 1980. SL1200 is a much later model. Maybe you have sometime. In any case, spares are available for SL1200. No such thing for SP10s.

It took me 1 full day for the job to be done.

Cheers.

Can anyone share a source for good enclosures in India?I have located a shop near my place for metal enclosures,He has promised me to make a good Aluminium enclosure for my DIY phono.I will share pics once I get it.

Regards,
Sachin

Looks like a job very well done. A classic all set to roll for a while now. Which cartridge do you use in the arm?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks,

Thanks for your kind comments. I had to service this, as I could not afford to have a loving SP10 lying broken down and is pride of my collection of turntables. I had to fix it and I was determined to, even if I had to debug the boards at waveform level. Luckily for me, the problem turned out to be just replacement of capacitors and nothing more.

Since, I had opened the unit, I thought I might as well explore every nook and corner to clean and lube.

All's well that ends well. Now if someone has a SP10 and needs help, you know who to reach out to...

Cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back