Receiver and Speakers reccos needed...

nosh

Hi guys,

Complete noob here. I knew the audio scene was complicated but my head's spinning after a couple of hours of googling.

I'll try and narrow things down a bit:

I source my music through the PC, high bitrate mp3s or flacs.

Mostly listen to electronic, love melodic trance (Chicane, Oceanlab) and soft rock (Floyd, Dire Straits).

The system will be in a small room 12x10

Not interested in too many features in the receiver, just something with a great build quality that gives crystal clear sound over an extended period.

Budget is around 100k and can be even be pushed up a little. I don't want to cut any corners but I don't want to throw any cash on overkill either.

I currently have an ancient Sony component system (thing simply refuses to die!) hooked up to two wall mounted speakers, so it would be ideal if I could just replace the system with a receiver and the speakers with new ones.

I think I'll be content with 2 speakers, not particularly interested in 5.1.

I usually find myself pushing the treble up and keeping the bass low for most kinds of music.
No idea if I'll need a sub or not, it might give me the additional hassle of creating space for it but
if the overall sound quality is going to be enhanced I'll go for one.

I heard a pair of floor standing Klipsch, a few years back. They were going for around 70k and I still have a bit of a crush for that brand. Any idea about Klipsch dealers in Bombay?

I think that wraps it. I plan to buy very shortly so if you're reading this and can answer even a single part of my long post I'll really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

For a room size of 12*10, you should be looking at bookshelves,

Keep a budget of 25k for an integrated amp, around 5k for wires and interconnects and 70k for speakers.

Check out various threads on stereo speakers of this price and start auditioning. As the two genres of music that you have mentioned required different speakers, its best you take CD's of your favourite songs and audition.

Nosh, Welcome to the forum.
I would second what sud98 has suggested, thats a good break up. I would, however set apart about Rs.20,000 for a good DAC to use with your PC.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So far I've looked at a few different speakers and amps, I have an offer for a pair of used Monitor GS10 that I really liked for 90k. The dealer said the price for a new pair is 1.25. I can't find prices in India online. Does anyone know the new price and is this a good deal? I looked at the vents at the back and they were dusty but other than that the speakers seem to play fine.

Reg amps: I tried the NAD 325 with the monitors, the dealer doesn't deal in NAD and that's the only piece he had. I also tried the Yamaha and a Canadian make (forget the name) but they were both disappointing.

I also auditioned a NAD 355 with a pair of Paradigm Studio 10v5 speakers (quoted at 51,000) and really liked the punch the combo packed. The price i was quoted for the 355 was 37,500.

I'm drawn to the NAD 355 & GS10 which I haven't been able to audition as a pair. Will they go well? And just to repeat are the prices ok ...NAD 355 Rs.37500 and Monitor GS10 (6 month used) Rs.90000

I suspect I can bargain for the GS10 and maybe get him down to 75k... how much would you pay for this?

Assuming I have around 40k to spare for an amp to pair with the GS10, which makes/models should I be looking at?

Last edited:
Nosh, at the cost of sounding repetitive, please do not forget to have a decent source when you go in for such good speakers and amps.
As for the Monitor Audio GS10, have not heard them, so cant comment. Lets see what others have to say.
Try PC- CA Dac magic- CA 650A- MA RX6

Definitely iaudio,
It's become real obvious real fast in my short trip into the audiophile world that DAC is an important piece of equipment when PCs are involved. I'll definitely look into DACs once the system is in place.

Right now, I just want to focus and get the amp and spks. I've started looking for an upgrade more than once in the past and have quit due to frustration since the audio scene is quite complicated and involves a lot of leg work for a few minutes of auditioning after which I'm often left even more confused. :)

The haze/fog will lift as the auditioning/leg work progress, so dont worry :)
Most of your demos may have been carried out with CDs played on CD players. But that is not going to be your source! So ensure you hear it with whatever is going to be your source and see that the speaker-amp combo gives you the same level of pleasure with that.
Home audition would be the best(as the room makes a lot of difference to the way your system sounds), but not all dealers would oblige.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back