Receiver for Energy Take Classic 5.1, Budget <25000

yashpande

Hey Guys,

Although I have been reading these forums for quite a while, this is my first post.

I was in the market for a 5.1 home theater system, with the main requirements being size (not much space for big speakers), and cost (~30,000). When the Energy take classic went on sale for $280 (~17000 INR), I decided to take it. I'll be going there within the month so I can pick it up.

Now I need two things - A 5.1 channel receiver and a step-down transformer for the subwoofer. As for the transformer, I just wanted to ask what wattage I should buy, and where I should buy it from in Noida. As for the receiver, I wanted to buy it from India, and started my search at hifimart. Most of the receivers here were from Marantz, and the NR1402 and NR1501 fell within my budget. After reading reviews of Marantz's budget receivers, I read that they were good sounding but lacked networking. (Not important for me as I have no way of getting Ethernet to the receiver anyway.)

I will only have three inputs to the receiver; a TataSky+ HD box via HDMI, a HTPC via HDMI, and a DVD player via component. My content will probably be 60% Tata Sky (40% TV and 20% Movies, all 1080i), 35% HTPC (Mainly 1080p movies, maybe some lossless music), and 5% DVD Player (Don't have too many DVD's, prefer watching HD).

Firstly, what is the difference between the NR1501 and NR1402. I know that the former is 7.1 and has Marantz's audio calibration, with the latter being 5.1 and having Audyssey. Honestly, I would prefer the NR1402, mainly because I believe Audyssey is better than Marantz's proprietary calibration, but is there anything else I should consider.

Secondly, what other options can I consider in the same price range. I would prefer to buy locally or from a well known dealer who ships. I realize Top Gizmos is probably the only dealer in Noida, but I am willing to go to Delhi if there are some good shops. All I am looking for in the AVR is audio quality, and I don't care for features like networking. I am also OK with the AVR not having component for the DVD player, as I don't use it much anyways. Note that the highest I can go with the price is 30,000INR, and I would prefer something lower than 25,000INR. Note that this is the final price, after bargaining, and including shipping.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Yash

EDIT:

Room size is 13*15, and volumes will be average, but I would prefer clean, detailed, transparent sound.

Last edited:
Please help guys! :sad:

I am going to Top Gizmos this weekend and really want to finalize my purchase - Sanjeev says he has the Denon 1513/1713 and Yamaha 475 in stock. I will probably have to extend my budget a little, and get either the 475 or 1713 after auditioning, or just bite the bullet and get the NR 1412 and hope its good. I would really love it if anyone who has listened to all three receivers with speakers like the Energys could help me out.

Denon OR Yamaha,either can match those.You can carry speakers & take Demo to slect the better for your ears.

@spirovious - So do you think Denon/Yamaha are better than the Marantz?
@madbullram - But picking it from the US would mean transformer+no warranty - I was fine doing this for the speakers, as they draw less power and have lower chances of failing, but the receiver has way more electronics, meaning I will have to spend another ~6K on a transformer, and if it goes bad I will have to wait until I go the the US again (I go every 6-7 months)... Would you still recommend getting the Aventage? And will I really notice the difference with the Takes?

Another option could be to buy from 220 electronics - they are an online store that sell 220v electronics - and they have both the Denon and Yamaha in stock - in fact the Yamaha comes with a 110/220 switch... While I still miss out on warranty, at least I don't have to worry about voltage...

Hi Dear Spirovious,
Pl check yr Mail box as i have sent you pm for Pioneer Speakers so pl call me on my mob 9819566690.Thanx.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back