Recording in a Nakamichi

Here is an image of my DR3's level indicator.

maxresdefault.jpg

To marginally saturate my recordings, I use a recording level of upto +5 db for heavy saturation and +3db for average saturation. That would depend on the source. I use +3 while using CD as the source and +5 when using vinyl as the source. I always record with Dolby B and playback with Dolby C. I never use the MPX filter even when recording from FM.

as a matter of fact ruben sir i was able to achieve no hiss sound while recording on my technics deck model rs m 20 . it is a very simple deck . so i what i do is i dont record tapes on my nakamichi i record using the technics deck and play back on nakamichi . in this way even though i saturate my tape a little bit there is absolutely no hiss while playback on my nakamichi .
ps : i do not use dolby noise reduction .

That's a good point. Some gurus use NAK only for playback as they believe that recordings done on NAKs sound good only on NAKs. They record on other decks to ensure that the recordings are compatible with not only NAKs but all decks. Again, what is important is that you like what you hear, at the end of the day.

Personally, I have felt that NAK recordings are way superior when compared to mainstream decks. The only deck which I thought sounded better than my NAK was the Grundig CF 5500-2 (which is well and truly one of the most amazing decks I've every come across)

Here is an image of my DR3's level indicator.

maxresdefault.jpg

To marginally saturate my recordings, I use a recording level of upto +5 db for heavy saturation and +3db for average saturation. That would depend on the source. I use +3 while using CD as the source and +5 when using vinyl as the source. I always record with Dolby B and playback with Dolby C. I never use the MPX filter even when recording from FM.

What are you refering to by saying SATURATION? Do you mean to say Saturation is the point where the sound you record sounds the best?

What are you refering to by saying SATURATION? Do you mean to say Saturation is the point where the sound you record sounds the best?

Saturation occurs on tape when the recording level is set slightly higher than permissable limits, prior to the distortion threshold. If you look at my NAK level indicator, the 0db position is ideally the permissable limit for recording level. However as NAKs have a huge tolerance, I can have the recording level ride over the 0db mark and go upto 10db without distortion occuring. However the recording would be very loud and the sound will appear a bit saturated, which is, you'd not be able to distinguish the finer aspects of the recording. It would sound loud overall. This method is not suitable for western classical music as the softer instruments may not be heard properly as they'd be over-ridden by the louder instruments.

Saturation occurs on tape when the recording level is set slightly higher than permissable limits, prior to the distortion threshold. If you look at my NAK level indicator, the 0db position is ideally the permissable limit for recording level. However as NAKs have a huge tolerance, I can have the recording level ride over the 0db mark and go upto 10db without distortion occuring. However the recording would be very loud and the sound will appear a bit saturated, which is, you'd not be able to distinguish the finer aspects of the recording. It would sound loud overall. This method is not suitable for western classical music as the softer instruments may not be heard properly as they'd be over-ridden by the louder instruments.

Ok understood.Thanks for the input.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back