Redmi TV to Onkyo Receiver - No Sound for a few minutes

Subaarun

Dear All

I have Redmi TV 50" and Onkyo HT-390 Receiver and have a strange issue - No sound output on HT for a few minutes and it's absolutely random - 5 mins or 10 or sometimes never. It's like a delay in water flowing through a pipe :D However, once the output is started, it works well and no compromise on quality. Note, it's not a delay or lip sync issue and it used to work well for first few months. This issue started recently, perhaps 2 - 3 months ago.

Tried every possible fixes - Did reset both TV and HT, replaced HDMI cable, called Mi Technician who did hard reset. It worked well for a day and started again. Later he said, we can replace motherboard to see if that works. Though the TV is in warranty, I am wondering should we open the TV and replace a part, without knowing if that is the culprit.

Few pointers to know -
  1. The TV & HT are connected via HDMI - e-ARC (TV) to HDMI Out (HT)
  2. Speakers on TV - Selected as HDMI eARC. Other options are TV Speakers and S/PDIF
  3. eARC on TV set to Auto
  4. Digital Output on TV set to Auto. Other options are PCM & Passthrough. Tried both as well, no luck.
  5. The info on Onkyo HT shows "Unknown" during no sound. Once it starts, it shows as PCM or Dolby Digital as per the sound format.
Please suggest any possible fixes or solutions. I am tired of watching on mute for few minutes and especially without knowing when or whether will it start.

Thanks - Subaarun.

U can try optical out from ur TV and on the digital signal output. And use normal hdmi port instead of arc port through ur TV.

U can try optical out from ur TV and on the digital signal output. And use normal hdmi port instead of arc port through ur TV.
Thanks much Sandip, for the response. However, I believe that's more of a workaround or option to think of, but doesn't fix the actual issue. As I mentioned, I have the option of going with the resolution offered by Mi (replace motherboard), if that's the only choice and no solution available to this problem. So any input on fixing it will be helpful.

Are you using the Android TV of your TV? Mi's Android is a big bug. Had to keep away my Mi Box that I purchased when I did not get Chromecast Audio to cast music. It worked well for sometime when these drop-outs started.

Normal HDMI port on TV can only take an input not output sound your TV sound to HT Rcvr. e-ARC or ARC only can send a signal out.

You mentioned connecting e-ARC of TV to HDMI Out on HT. Should it be to HDMI IN on HT instead? My understanding is HDMI Out is for connecting TV - it is a video pass through for multiple HDMI sources.

Are you using the Android TV of your TV?

Thanks Subbu, for the response. Yes, I use the TV and sound from HT.

You mentioned connecting e-ARC of TV to HDMI Out on HT. Should it be to HDMI IN on HT instead? My understanding is HDMI Out is for connecting TV - it is a video pass through for multiple HDMI sources.

Yes, it's connected from e-ARC of TV to HDMI Out of HT. The reason is, TV can also display HT setting when selected that as the input. But I also tried connecting to other HDMI In ports of HT, no difference indeed. Also, ARC is dislpayed in TV only when it's connected through out port, it's strange though.

I have the same issue with a tx sr313 onkyo amp/avr. No sound for a few minutes. It seems like it needs a 'warm-up' of sorts. I have the issue on all (3) inputs I use. TV via optical (2 cables tested), pc via component and record player via component.

Any input or tips will be appreciated.

Just got a Denon AVR (posted about it on another thread). Connected it to my Iffalcon TV in a similar manner as you. I have the same problem. The audio just stops for a few mins. Sometimes it just doesn't come back on. Have to restart AVR/TV multiple times and just randomly comes back on again. I replaced my old HDMI cable to a new Amazon Basics one and so far it's been okay (have only tried it for few hours so need to wait for a while to see if the issue comes back). I'm assuming it has something to do with the TV's software.

Have to check by directly connecting some audio source to the AVR instead of e/ARC

I've the exactly same issue.

My setup is:
Samsung TV 65Q70A (HDMI 3 e-ARC/ARC)
Receiver Onkyo HT-R390 (HDMI Output ARC)

What I've tried so far:
- Change HDMI cable (tried 4 different cables)
- Reset TV settings
- Call Samsung assistance (they reset HDMI via assistance menu)
- Reset Onkyo Receiver (holding VCR/DVR button and pressing Power button)
- Change in TV settings PCM and Auto

Next moves:
- Use a fiber optic HDMI cable
- Open Onkyo receiver and apply heat on a specific circuit (need to check)
- Try a different TV

If anyone have any tips on solving it, please share with us.

Thanks.

I found the root cause.

I brought the receiver to technical assistance and they confirmed the issue is the processor in hdmi board. It's a very common problem in Onkyo receivers.

If you have the same symptom, you can check by using your radio AM/FM instead of any hdmi or optical input and you'll see the issue will happen ing too, because it seems everything pass though this board, not only the hdmi sources.

To fix this the assistance will need to buy a new processor and replace it (it will cost almost 80% of the receiver value).

No happy end for me.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back