Rega Planar 3 (user experience)

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
I had a TT back in the early 90s when the cds had completely taken over. So just like my Rd 350 the TT was also given away for pennies. Fast forward 25 years I wanted to give TT another go. The Debut DC has manual speed change. It came with the Ortofon 2M red but I swapped it for the blue.
I still have all my music in Flac on a drive streamed through a Node 2i. You cannot beat the convenience of digital and on some tracks the sound is superlative. But digital is more play and forget.
My TT does not even have auto return. To some that is a great inconvenience plus to ensure the record is clean everytime play is pressed, styli has no dust so on and so forth. The experience of playing music through a TT is far greater than the end result.

The experience of playing music through a TT is far greater than the end result.

There’s a thing about engaging with the medium as much as with the music. Though not into records, I am quite into CDs, and experience what you say - though to a lesser extent than possible with records.

However, I see (and have enjoyed too) different ways of engaging with the medium that have evolved with stored/online/streamed music. One of them is ‘playlists’. This is something not possible with CDs/LPs. There’s a joy in creating your own playlists as per myriad themes with tracks across albums and artists. And then playing songs as per your mood/ chosen theme. Further, there’s the additional social engagement by sharing lists with friends on the same app. And then the curated lists - Apple and Tidal do good job with it. Also the joy of discovering old and new music - through recommendations provided by the app based on learning your preferences (like finding a record at an old goods shop or CD on Ebay). And then reading the metadata (notes and pics) which is usually richer than on sleeve notes, with HTML links - Roon especially does a good job of it. Also the social engagement with your visitors where you can quickly whip up a song/album they like but not in your collection through a simple search.

Yes these forms of engagement are not physical - they don’t engage our hands and eyes as much, but surely engage our minds and brains.

(Sorry for sidetracking from the original post. I was wondering if to write this here or as a separate post. Eventually decided to write here as the thoughts were triggered by your profound comment quoted above)

For me, I spin records only at night. When it’s quiet. And when I am able to have a drink ( that’s because of my work). At this time I’m not bothered too much about what’s playing, I just sip away and listen to the entire record. I like the ambient lighting too when I’m listening to records at night. From morning to evening its either CDs or tidal/Spotify. Much easier to change songs etc from phone/iPad.

So definately the streamer for choice of music and ease of use, but the TT for nostalgia and pure listening pleasure.

For me, I spin records only at night. When it’s quiet. And when I am able to have a drink ( that’s because of my work). At this time I’m not bothered too much about what’s playing, I just sip away and listen to the entire record. I like the ambient lighting too when I’m listening to records at night. From morning to evening its either CDs or tidal/Spotify. Much easier to change songs etc from phone/iPad.

So definately the streamer for choice of music and ease of use, but the TT for nostalgia and pure listening pleasure.

My wife grants me a drinking permit once a week, to indulge in music and I look forward to it everyday. Nothing beats being awash with music, when the mind begins to appreciate the emotion and passion in music. So do enjoy your nights sir :)

My wife grants me a drinking permit once a week, to indulge in music and I look forward to it everyday. Nothing beats being awash with music, when the mind begins to appreciate the emotion and passion in music. So do enjoy your nights sir :)

For me it was either Music or drinks, I chose the former.

The regar RP3 is a delightful player and best part is even if ever the upgrade bug does hit, you can do it piece by piece and slowly :). a Nagaoka MP150+ a Schitt Mani is enough for nirvana !!

@celester340 Congrats on the purchase, the Rega Planar 3 is a great TT. I have one and love it. Its possibly the best value for money TT.
Check out the TTPSU power supply and the white belt. These are minor upgrades to the RP3, which for me, it changed the sound for the better.

For me it was either Music or drinks, I chose the former.
What’s wrong with music and drinks? ;) Music always sounds better with
1. A cheap rum or
2. With expensive single malt.

After purchasing the Luxman, and a couple of drinks later, the sound is now coming from those gorgeous blue vu meter’s! (Only after the drink not before) Disclaimer! :p

@Rajeshh are the upgrades available here in India locally? I was planning on getting the groovetracer in a couple of months. When did u get your TT? Is it the rp3 or the new planar 3?

@arj i nearly picked up the trigon phono, and then I got the Luxman. The lux phono is a beautiful smooth phono. Definately not an afterthought!

Oh great ok thanks. Where did u pick them up from? I have someone travelling from abroad soon. Can't get it.

Step in the Rega planar 3. White. T

How did you measure tracking force and weight?

The audio connecting cables supplied by Rega was Neutrik? That is a big change.

The Ania MC will be a bit over the top for a P3.

Welcome to the Rega club. Their turntables are rather unassuming and tend not to justify their asking price when it comes to look and feel but there is quality and there is superb sound on offer.

I have a tracking force gauge for that. Yes neutrik I think. Very nice cables. Hmmm ania. Will stick to the elys 2 for now I guess.

Thanks for the post.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back