Regarding avr and set top box connection.

Dr.Lakshay

Hello everyone,
I have read in many places that the hdmi board failures that occur could be due to the set top box which sometimes pass high voltage to the hdmi board causing failure.
Because of this I have connected my set top box to TV and I am using optical out from TV to avr.
But this makes life difficult as I have to change input on tv every time I have to switch from set top box to PS4 and also I have to switch input on the AVR.
So I was wondering if I connect the analog of set top box to avr, can analog input also have the possibility of causing failure of hdmi board?

Hello everyone,
I have read in many places that the hdmi board failures that occur could be due to the set top box which sometimes pass high voltage to the hdmi board causing failure.
Because of this I have connected my set top box to TV and I am using optical out from TV to avr.
But this makes life difficult as I have to change input on tv every time I have to switch from set top box to PS4 and also I have to switch input on the AVR.
So I was wondering if I connect the analog of set top box to avr, can analog input also have the possibility of causing failure of hdmi board?

The analog input connection to the AVR is safe, i personally use the optical out if available as it more cleaner .
The question about changing inputs every time is what i dont understand.
How is the PS4 connected to the TV/AVR, ideally you should connect the PS4 to the AVR though HDMI.
Then connect HDMI output of the AVR to the TV.
Since the TV already uses one HDMI port for Set top box and the other should be connect to AVR's HDMI video output.
You could just change the mode from TV HDMI say for e.g HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 for AVR's video output .

Regarding the HDMI board failures, any ways if you have your TV connected to the set top boxes HDMI output, the TV's HDMI is still at risk isn't it.
I have personally seen very few or peculiar cases in which the HDMI boards get damaged during high voltage surges.
But i prefer connecting HDMI output to the TV directly as i don't want the AVR to be on at all times.

But most of the damage to HDMI board actually happens when you hot plug or remove the HDMI cables when the equipment is turned on.
When you plan to insert or remove any HDMI cable just ensure the relevant equipment/s are turned off when you do this .

The question about changing inputs every time is what i dont understand.
It wasn't a question. What I meant was that it's kind of irritating to change input on both TV and avr when it could have been done at just avr. But neither do I want to risk the AVR.
How is the PS4 connected to the TV/AVR, ideally you should connect the PS4 to the AVR though HDMI.
Then connect HDMI output of the AVR to the TV.
Thats how it is. All inputs are connected to avr except set top box.

I haven't heard tv's hdmi board failure and a lot of population is using hdmi input of TV for set top box. On the other hand avr is not so common and a handful of people use it. Still we have heard of the hdmi board failure so its definitely many times more vulnerable.

But most of the damage to HDMI board actually happens when you hot plug or remove the HDMI cables when the equipment is turned on.
When you plan to insert or remove any HDMI cable just ensure the relevant equipment/s are turned off when you do this .
Thanks for this tip. Didn't know about it. Though I anyhow don't remove the cables they will be plugged in until they show any problems.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back