Reliability of Modern AVR's?

Folks....

Overwhelmed by your responses :) :) :)
I just saw a surge in replies all of a sudden (it all happened within a span of 2-3 days)

Sad thing was I couldn't convince my Parents to buy something for 50K+ without getting an Extended Warranty ( even though its my money their opinion matters at the crux of things, so left with no choice )

None of the (Electronic) things we have owned has died upon us in a span of atleast 5years and so their expectation is it should work atleast for some period of time and if something happens there is an warranty to cover it (atleast for 3years) which seems to be an unrealistic case as far as the warranty period is concerned for AV Receivers in India

I thought i'll just wait for a year (it's going to be tough) and some how convince them and Buy a Yamaha/Marantz ( as some of the replies suggest here) AV Receiver

Still I don't know why don't they Provide higher Warranty periods on such Niche things here in India (provided their cost). With most other things atleast we are able to procure Extended Warranties.

I'm citing an example (may or maynot be 100% true / consider this as a Query as well ) Desktop Computer parts have got way more reliable over the time and still Reputed Companies still give atleast 3 Year Warranty on those (yes things go bad but the failure rate is way too less )
When Brands like Asus/Gigabyte can give a 3 year warranty on Graphics card in India (which btw also does generate Heat just like an Amp) why can't brands like Yamaha/Marantz?

I know I'm comparing Apple's to Orange's but this the best way I can describe the state of things

One more thing, For the time being I bought a Sony Soundbar (Yes! I know I'll be condemned for this) which I hope serves the timeperiod till I buy an AV Receiver (which I hope happens in a Year)
Got the HT-20-SR 5.1's for 12K during a sale (Sounds good for the money though) and my primary usage was for watching Movies.

I guess i'll have to wait 1 more Year to experience the Real Sound.

Cheers,
Dormamu

Hi Doramamu

The sad truth is the quality of electronics being produced now a days not upto the mark when compared with the past .

Coming to indian scenario as u told the Avr's available abroad comes with 3 years warranty and also they are more reliable because if the products are faulty then there are strict laws abroad which a customer can sue the company for hefty amount which is not the case in india as we all know.
exactly.

My Yamaha Rxv-2700 receiver is still going strong after 14 years of purchase. What I did was, I never placed it in an enclosed space ensuring proper ventilation. No unnecessary power on-off moments. I also used a 3.5kva pure sine wave inverter and a Belkin power conditioner to protect my gear.
belkin power conditioner??surge protector?

@dormamu91

I would echo the FMs views which are already shared, I used a Yamaha for 15 years then it gave away. Tried many brands of AVRs from Pioneer to HK to Denon to Bose HT system and finally settled for Marantz, kept changing the models and series based on my actual use and requirement. Always kept the avr open stacked up with the other devices and properly ventilated, works well if used properly and as per operational manual.

Most AVRs today are made in China etc and unlike the Old AVRs of the 90s etc (Made in Japan / Malaysia), electronic components used dont really last too long. I found some AVRs built quality very inferior, cheap plastic etc and also overall performance not as expected to make me say WOW! I have many friends who have suffered a lot after heavy investments into such AVRs

My recent experience, I picked a SR5013 last year used it barely for a month and sold it. Was not too happy. My SR6009 sounded better. Luckily got a SR6010 and it works like a charm (Made in Vietnam).

This is my opinion based on my first hand use with my existing speakers and home area configuration. It may differ for others.

I have my eyes on the 7000 or 8000 series from Marantz which are built well and hopefully in the near future will pick one. Irrespective whether new or old model, as long as the AVR you choose has the features / functionality you desire and you are getting a good deal (after auditioning) then go for it. Ensure the DOs and Donts and things will be fine from a AVR care perspective!

I have been using pioneer vsx 1131 since last 4 years. Its hdmi board malfunctioned after 3.5 years. So, i got it repaired from nearby repair center and its working great.
As long as you use AVR carefully and take necessary care, i don't think you have to worry about it.
Where can I get my Pioneer AVR repaired. Where are you located

I have been using pioneer vsx 1131 since last 4 years. Its hdmi board malfunctioned after 3.5 years. So, i got it repaired from nearby repair center and its working great.
As long as you use AVR carefully and take necessary care, i don't think you have to worry about it.
Can you update shop and no?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back