Reliance Big Tv HD

Rishabh Raj

How's the Big Tv HD DVR, the output is 1080i or 1080p???

IS it truly that or an upscaled version, when is reliance gonna add Discovery speed...??
ONe more ques. on the normal Relaince big tv set top box it has got a component output, is it any worth??? for watching on an LCD tv :)

Its 1080i but just like Dish TV it doesnt have DD 5.1 sound.

Yes the PQ is the normal STB of Reliance is the bst among all. Logo being apart makes luk a crap.

Why would anyone even consider Dish TruHD or Big TV considering they don't even have DD 5.1 audio? Also, why don't the other DTH companies highlight this major deficiency with Dish & BIG?

Well not all are intrested in audio especialy 5.1 and 7.1 due to various reasons.But all would prefer better picture quality,where Big tv has the edge.

But all would prefer better picture quality,where Big tv has the edge.
Really? Reliance and quality, kinda hard to swallow or is it just that they have the largest and most obnoxious logo plastered accros all channels? :) Just kidding. Seriously, this is the first I am hearing that BIG TV has better quality than 'TataSky HD' or 'SunDirect HD', which by the way in my opnion, is the best HD DTH service from only a audio/video quality point of view. Have you actually compared the different DTH HD services?

Really? Reliance and quality, kinda hard to swallow or is it just that they have the largest and most obnoxious logo plastered accros all channels? :) Just kidding. Seriously, this is the first I am hearing that BIG TV has better quality than 'TataSky HD' or 'SunDirect HD', which by the way in my opnion, is the best HD DTH service from only a audio/video quality point of view. Have you actually compared the different DTH HD services?

Feel free to head over to forums meant just for DTH like saveondish.com .
A wast majority feel that big tv is the best as far as PQ.A review done by EFY magazine concluded that big tv had the best PQ and Dish tv at the bottom end.
I myself have airtel and Big tv,despite the short falls of big tv like the Logo and the present UI ,i still prefer it.Before buying i did see dish tv ,sun and tata sky,i was just looking for the one with best PQ.
My friend who already had tata sky ,Sun DTH bought big tv.he ditched tata sky and bought another big tv to take the benefit of multi room offer.
All his 2 bedrooms have a identical Sony 40W400A with big tv and Sun dth is used in living room.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have BigTV SD box with component cable connection to my Sony Bravia LCD for the last 2 years. Before we got the BigTV, I painstakingly compared with Tata Sky and Dish TV DTH services, and there was simply no contest. The BigTV picture quality was BY FAR the best. Even from the beginning (because I believe I have their very first batch STB) they had component cable connectivity. And also the audio quality, while not quite DVD quality was better than the other providers. Over these 2 years, their picture quality (and also the audio quality) has improved by several notches. Even with composite cables their PQ was better. Then I tried a Bandridge (<Rs. 1 K) component cable, the PQ was even better. Ultimately I settled for a much better component cable (unfortunately can't remember the brand at the moment, but I have mentioned it elsewhere in this forum), and I am very very happy with it. I have to mention here that the Bravia 2 engine ( I have a 2008 model Sony) does a very good job with SD sources ( a fact we also checked very meticulously over a couple of months before we bought our TV, because at home we have only SD content, DVDs etc. Sorry guys, I have to work very hard and go through a painful period of making my judgement before I dish out my money).

I do not have their HD box, and so can't comment on it. But based on what I have at the moment, it's got to be very good.

There was quite a few discussions in this forum about Reliance's poor service. I never faced any problem with them (only problem is that one has to call their toll-free number and one has to wait a long time in the queue while listening to some really really awful music before one ultimately gets connected. In addition, the digital navigation while calling is not very intuitive). Initially there was another issue with their software which was slow and could hang if one tried to do things too quickly. But they have improved on that front too by several upgrades since my first 6 months of ownership.

I do not think the BigTV logo is ugly either. OTOH, I find it much better looking than the Tata Sky logo which is also quite big, may be even bigger. But I agree these are subjective things. I'd like the logos to be much smaller though for all these DTH providers. Can't understand why they have to have such prominent logos on the screen.

I was considering the BigTV HD DVR box, but BigTV does not have at the moment a lot of HD content (mostly upscaled channels, correct me if I am wrong). Tata Sky at the moment has more number of HD channels (based on some information in this forum, again correct me if I am wrong). Given the excellent picture quality we have at home, and the meager no of HD channels, I have temporarily shelved my plan of ugrading to a HD DVR, until the no of HD channels increase.

Regards.

Last edited:
I'd like the logos to be much smaller though for all these DTH providers. Can't understand why they have to have such prominent logos on the screen.
Why should they even have "smaller" logos? They have absolutely no business putting their logos, small or large. This is nothing but a total abuse of consumer rights.

Why should they even have "smaller" logos? They have absolutely no business putting their logos, small or large. This is nothing but a total abuse of consumer rights.

I agree with it. Just like how car dealers put up their sign plate like "Modi Hyundai" or "Madhuban Toyota" on cars sold by them :mad:

I agree with it. Just like how car dealers put up their sign plate like "Modi Hyundai" or "Madhuban Toyota" on cars sold by them :mad:
Personally I absolutely refuse to allow any dealer to put their sticker on my car. In fact once or twice when they have done so without even asking me, I have really blasted them all the way to their top management and have had them remove the stickers immediately. No dealer has the right to put a sticker on anyone's car, without at the very least taking the permission of the owner first. The unfortuante part is, that is the consumer who is to blame for this state fo affairs. It is due to the general apathy shown by most consumers and who do not even bother to complain or protest, that businesses/companies in India trample all over a consumer's rights.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have BigTV SD box with component cable connection to my Sony Bravia LCD for the last 2 years. Before we got the BigTV, I painstakingly compared with Tata Sky and Dish TV DTH services, and there was simply no contest. The BigTV picture quality was BY FAR the best. Even from the beginning (because I believe I have their very first batch STB) they had component cable connectivity. And also the audio quality, while not quite DVD quality was better than the other providers. Over these 2 years, their picture quality (and also the audio quality) has improved by several notches. Even with composite cables their PQ was better. Then I tried a Bandridge (<Rs. 1 K) component cable, the PQ was even better. Ultimately I settled for a much better component cable (unfortunately can't remember the brand at the moment, but I have mentioned it elsewhere in this forum), and I am very very happy with it. I have to mention here that the Bravia 2 engine ( I have a 2008 model Sony) does a very good job with SD sources ( a fact we also checked very meticulously over a couple of months before we bought our TV, because at home we have only SD content, DVDs etc. Sorry guys, I have to work very hard and go through a painful period of making my judgement before I dish out my money).

I do not have their HD box, and so can't comment on it. But based on what I have at the moment, it's got to be very good.

There was quite a few discussions in this forum about Reliance's poor service. I never faced any problem with them (only problem is that one has to call their toll-free number and one has to wait a long time in the queue while listening to some really really awful music before one ultimately gets connected. In addition, the digital navigation while calling is not very intuitive). Initially there was another issue with their software which was slow and could hang if one tried to do things too quickly. But they have improved on that front too by several upgrades since my first 6 months of ownership.

I do not think the BigTV logo is ugly either. OTOH, I find it much better looking than the Tata Sky logo which is also quite big, may be even bigger. But I agree these are subjective things. I'd like the logos to be much smaller though for all these DTH providers. Can't understand why they have to have such prominent logos on the screen.

I was considering the BigTV HD DVR box, but BigTV does not have at the moment a lot of HD content (mostly upscaled channels, correct me if I am wrong). Tata Sky at the moment has more number of HD channels (based on some information in this forum, again correct me if I am wrong). Given the excellent picture quality we have at home, and the meager no of HD channels, I have temporarily shelved my plan of ugrading to a HD DVR, until the no of HD channels increase.

Regards.
Agree with your points.but donot go HD DVR. Recently I changed old STB with new HD DVR.Waste of money.Component output is not working.Composite output PQ is also very very poor.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back