Repairing my Akai AM 27 amp

prabuddhadg

Hi guys, I tried some searching on the forum, but could not find anything on repairing my Akai Amp. This is a pretty old amp - AM 27, about 10 years old, actually, I think more.

Its been performing erratically. So, I tried to find a place I could get it repaired, here in Bombay, but in vain. Couldn't find an authorised service centre. Other Sony- Pioneer guys refused, mostly because its old, and they are not sure they will be able to handle it.

Can someone on the forum help with some leads? Its a nice sound that I have sort of got used to. So, I am not very keen on disposing it of quite yet.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi, contact our member akshay anil jha from Mumbai, he might help you to repair the amp. Do you have schematics (service manual)?

Anil

Hi guys, I tried some searching on the forum, but could not find anything on repairing my Akai Amp. This is a pretty old amp - AM 27, about 10 years old, actually, I think more.

Its been performing erratically. So, I tried to find a place I could get it repaired, here in Bombay, but in vain. Couldn't find an authorised service centre. Other Sony- Pioneer guys refused, mostly because its old, and they are not sure they will be able to handle it.

Can someone on the forum help with some leads? Its a nice sound that I have sort of got used to. So, I am not very keen on disposing it of quite yet.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks a lot Anil. I shall contact Akshay Anil Jha. I only have a user's manual and not a service manual. I have looked for it on the net but not been fortunate.

And since electronics to me is all green board and wires and beads, I can't make any head or tail out of it. So I can't really contribute to this repair except for giving the symptoms I notice.

Hi,
Try Manoj/hari @ lakozy 23697001/2. They should be able to repair.
Please take a detailed estimate if u do go to them to avoid arguments later.

A very very good electronics repairman is Naren @ 98507 61412 but he is now more in Pune than Mumbai and is basically semi retired and takes up very little work. But if u can reach him i doubt u will get a better person for amp repair in mumbai.
Regards

Now I am beginning to feel I am really in the right place. One query and I have three options to consider! Thanks Dinyaar. And pardon my ignorance, but isn't lakozy the dealer for Toyota? Or is this a different lakozy?

Now I am beginning to feel I am really in the right place. One query and I have three options to consider! Thanks Dinyaar. And pardon my ignorance, but isn't lakozy the dealer for Toyota? Or is this a different lakozy?

HAHA you are right prabuddha. The Toyota dealer is also called Lakozy but thats a different Lakozy. This is an AV Store located at chowpatty who is the distributor for NAD/PSB/SUPRA and dealers for Marantz,Focal,Arcam,cyrus,MA and some more.
They have a service/repair center and the repairmen are Hari/Manoj.
Regards

Well, here is an update, guys. From the first lead I had received from Anil Kumar, I got in touch with forum member Akshay Jha and delivered my amp (and the graphic equaliser) to his place last Sunday.

He said he would test the amp and then call me to tell me exactly what was wrong and how much it would cost.

He called and gave me a pretty reasonable quote. Then, on Monday, yesterday, I picked the amp and the equaliser back from his place. I listened to the sound of the amp through a set of speakers he has built. Then I also listened to those speakers powered by his own amp, a mean looking set up.

But the real test was back home. I hooked things up again and listened to the music on my own set up. And I admit, I am a happy man again. The base had been a little loose and loud. Now its got a lot tighter and I listened till 1 in the night yesterday.

So, thanks Akshay and thanks Anil. And also thanks to Dinyaar for his help.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back