replacement for old philips mid range speaker in tower

rpanand25

i have an old DIY speaker circa 1985. The 8" woofer,6" midrange and 1.5" tweeter are all Indian philips made. mid range and woofer have paper pulp cone.After about 15 years of silence(as the earlier amp went bust) i had acquired an DIY amp. Now after low volume running for about 70 hours the speakers have been jolted out of their reverie and singing at good volume.

the problem is that the midrange particularly human voices sound thin and donot have the natural timbre and fullness in all cases from falsetto/female voices to male baritone. I am using transcend PMP having five band equaliser,LG 3in 1 cd player(no equaliser) and my new Pavilion HP G6 laptop windows media player( 10 band graphic equaliser). Despite trying all permutations the human voices range is within narrow envelope although the voices are clear and also slightly project a little forward and a little above the speakers. Other sounds in the midrange appeared to be OK.

1. I tried to reduce the treble in the amp but the sound became flat and when i increase it the voices have added sibilance in many songs even within the narrow sound envelope.
2. The midrange is enclosed in separate enclosure and originally it was without any padding. As an experiment i added some normal cotton and some harshness in the voices disappeared but still no body in the voices.
3. one of the mid range has a small 1cm dia hole due to insects. But i donot think that is going to affect as i donot hear any audible distortion at listening volumes. One option is to replace the cone/coil of the speaker. In that case should it be of paper cone type or the modern polypropelene etc cone speaker? or should i replace the both the midrange ? If so with which type i.e paper cone or otherwise? and brand which is not too expensive?

the crossover appears to be OK as bass and treble are pretty good for about 30 year old speaker. I also donot want to tamper with electronics including amp but the solution sought is by modification to mid range driver to get the full bodies voices in the entire range

The impedance is 8 ohms. The mid range is rated at Pm 12 w. If it is peak i think it does not truly reflect the speaker capacity as it is pretty loud. although model number is indicated below it would not serve any purpose as it would not be manufactured now. 257 37812 21P 620.

I would perhaps require a better mid range. Any suggestion?

The pictures are attached. I hope they upload

Attachments

• 100E3740.jpg
    100E3740.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 100E3744.jpg
    100E3744.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 100E3752.jpg
    100E3752.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 100E3751.jpg
    100E3751.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 164
80 look ins and no response so far.:sad: Come on; with the vast experience and knowledge can't HFV members suggest a good six inch mid range(the opening is just 1/4inch bigger in diameter), preferably paper cone at 8 ohms, for good response particularlyfor the human voice range? if it could be souced locally the better

i have tried all kinds of speaker positioning but of no avail. can any surface coating of the cones help as in a separate thread i have read about all kinds of experiments. i have nothing to lose as the sound may not get any thinner.

i cannot believe that nobody has any suggestion.
The 6" philips very old mid range driver needs replacement with an 8 ohms driver. It has its separate enclosure within the Cabinet. I am presently driving with a DIY stereo amplifier around 50 watts pc. I need sweet well rounded vocals. Proper three way crossover is already present in the speaker.
diyaudiocart doesnot appear to have appropriate driver as the 6 inchers seem to be full range and would be overkill for a mid ranger.Peerless - 6" Coated Paper Cone Woofer - S16NI.

If no response then i have to close the thread.

Lamington Road in mumbai has a few shops which used to sell phillips drivers, similarly you might such shops in delhi also. Why not do some footwork & locate some? For all you know, you might get lucky with some one having few left as 'dead' stock.

If all fails then 'jugaad' via the kabadiwalas is your next best bet!

Best Wishes

i cannot believe that nobody has any suggestion.
The 6" philips very old mid range driver needs replacement with an 8 ohms driver. It has its separate enclosure within the Cabinet. I am presently driving with a DIY stereo amplifier around 50 watts pc. I need sweet well rounded vocals. Proper three way crossover is already present in the speaker.
diy audio cart does not appear to have appropriate driver as the 6 inchers seem to be full range and would be overkill for a mid ranger.Peerless - 6" Coated Paper Cone Woofer - S16NI.

If no response then i have to close the thread.

If you can get hold of any Bolton 6" driver with light yellow cone with a wizzer. That had a 1" coil. If somebody has an old stock still left to be sold.
That Peerless driver S16NI is a woofer. Will not give that range you want & will not work here.
I can fabricate you a dedicated custom mid driver. In that case you will have to change both of them. Provided given ample time.
If you are interested call me up 9331927102.(Vivek).

sorry, just saw this hence the late post.

You say the midrange speaker is enclosed in a box, can you post some pictures. This is an interesting design. Back in the day, some speakers actually had the high frequency and mid range speakers enclosed in small boxes on the main baffle.

To increase mid-range, you can try the following:

Make small shunts in the cross over (not advisable) unless you know your electronics
Use a more sensitive mid-range driver
Reduce the output to the tweeter by reducing the value of the capacitor connected with the tweeter in series, to say around the 2.2 mfd mark (should be around 4.7mfd or more, currently), again not advisable unless you know your electronics

sorry, just saw this hence the late post.

You say the midrange speaker is enclosed in a box, can you post some pictures. This is an interesting design. Back in the day, some speakers actually had the high frequency and mid range speakers enclosed in small boxes on the main baffle.

To increase mid-range, you can try the following:

Make small shunts in the cross over (not advisable) unless you know your electronics
Use a more sensitive mid-range driver
Reduce the output to the tweeter by reducing the value of the capacitor connected with the tweeter in series, to say around the 2.2 mfd mark (should be around 4.7mfd or more, currently), again not advisable unless you know your electronics

The photos are in the earliest post in the thread. kindly see them.

Now that you have talked about speaker design please see that the woofer and midrange are aligned in an axis while the tweeter and bass port are offset opposite to each other. The top bass port is an interesting design. In fact the bass gets to travel a bit upwards and the cabinet is lined with a felt kind of material. Surprisingly it does not interfere with mid range and high frequencies. Only sometimes the mid-bass gets accentuated a little bit more but that may be due to recording also partly. In fact i had a wonderful time playing with the placement of speaker switching them from right to left and analysing the results.Presently they are placed with tweeters on the inside and bass ports on the outside. In my 15 by 10 room the speakers are placed 7 feet apart woofer centres and listening distance is about 12 feet from the centre of the speakers. In fact this distance is required to get fairly clean detailed bass line.

Do you have any idea to stiffen up the woofer cones by any DIY coating as these are more than 25 years old paper cones? Even a little bit of improvement would help. In fact in some other thread i had read about interesting modding using everyday stuff.

Shafic and sidewinder. Thanks for your offer. My local electrician would be going to delhi local market to recone the speaker alongwith voice coil. If that suceeds, fine, as he says replacement philips paper cone are available.

Last edited:
At last i got the cone replaced through my local electrician who got it done from Lajpat rai Market delhi and it was hardly about hundred rupees:eek:hyeah: as i had given some other repair work on DIY amp also. Replacing volume pot,balance and a small capacitor in amp besides cone replacement cost 450/ including door service. I am showing the repaired speaker below and it has some logo imprinted on the cone on the left hand side.

Attachments

• 100_3761.jpg
    100_3761.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 75
Can you please let me know which shop in Lajpat market you went to ? I also need some speaker repairs but am unable to find the right shop.

Thanks for your help

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back