Replacing/Upgrading stock TT cable

Yes you can. Trouble is, for most turntables, it requires dismantling the tone arm off the plinth. It is no easy job but if you are mechanically inclined, you can do it. Exercise patience as you are dealing with very delicate parts. Do not over tighten anything. Correct torque has to be applied when tightening screws. Make sure that stylus is removed and stored is some protective box before you do anything. It is quite possible that some fine soldering will be required at the point where the cable meets the plinth.

The other question is, what arm tube cable are you going to use and if it justifies going through all this trouble for a budget turntable.

I think he means output RCA cables, not tonearm cable. Most TTs have a small PCB where output cables are soldered. You will need to desolder the older once and solder new ones. Be careful as this PCB also have tonearm wires soldered on the other side. You should use low capacitance flexible cable which shouldn't be too long as it adds capacitance.

Regards
Sachin

Thanks. Yes, my bad for not being clear......I meant the RCA cables and not tone arm. Any suggestions for such low capacitance cables? I am very comfortable with diy and tinkering.

First; evaluate what wiring setup is on your table. My older Technics and Akai had a circuit board sort of thing (As sachu888 said) that was between the tone arm cable and rca lead. My Rega RP1 has a continuous cable length from the arm tube to the end rca terminals. Not nice if you're the type who likes to fiddle with this stuff. Roy Gandy does not believe in tone arm cable upgrades and that is debatable.

Pro-Ject and some others are a little better by offering RCA terminals sitting directly off the circuit board at the rear. You swap out the factory supplied cable to whatever you want.

I am myself sitting on the fence to replace the RCA cables on my Technics. I have a nice oxygen-free copper RCA cable with me which I may use for the purpose. The only hesitation is due to the fact that I will have to cut that cable to solder the points to the turntable PCB.

Edit: In fact, I was wondering where would I be going wrong if I keep the older RCA cables intact and solder new cable on the PCB as well so that both cables would be working. That way, I can check if the newer set is sounding any better than the old one just by swapping the cables? Members any thoughts?

Last edited:
Wondering if the stock TT output cable could be replaced/upgraded, generally speaking.

You need to go with lowest capacitance and shielded cables here since the voltages are extremely low and susceptible to hum. the stock cables usually are to specs so if you do upgrade you must find the right cable for this depending on your tonearm ie if its DIN or RCA

If you want to DYI, Belden 1694A is a good option.

Last edited:
You should use low capacitance flexible cable which shouldn't be too long as it adds capacitance.
Sir, can we do the replacement with the shorter length of new output RCA cables than the Originally fitted cable? Will any capacitance problem arise? Thank you. Regards.

Sir, can we do the replacement with the shorter length of new output RCA cables than the Originally fitted cable? Will any capacitance problem arise? Thank you. Regards.
Ideally, the shorter the cable, lower the capacitance. So, it you can manage with a shorter wire (means the integrated amp or the phono are placed nearby) then by all means you may shorten the length of the cable.

Regards.

Ideally, the shorter the cable, lower the capacitance. So, it you can manage with a shorter wire (means the integrated amp or the phono are placed nearby) then by all means you may shorten the length of the cable.
Thank you Saket. Regards.

You could get less expensive RG 6 ( 21pF per foot ) or RG 174 cable ( 31pF per foot ). RG 6 is about 0.33 inch in diameter and RG 174 is 0.11 inch in diameter. These are typically used for RF applications like cable networks etc . Get a good brand !
Shorter cables are better because the total capacitance from cartridge to the RCA plug would be lower. The balance will come from the preamp which it's connected to. As mentioned elsewhere many modern cartridges are specified with a 200pF capacitance load. Higher capacitance will result in a peak in the HF response and also a lower HF response ( rolloff) .
You could also try DIY cables. Use Ethernet cables like Cat6 or Cat6e . You need just one pair of the wires in the cable per channel. You will have to shield it too. You can use copper or aluminum foil or a ready made copper braided sleeve. Encase it all in a heat shrinkable tube......
If you can get an opamp based SMD RIAA preamp you could even place it inside the plinth and get power from outside ! If done well it would be an ideal way to do it ! No wire hassles too !

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back