Repurposing Sony DAV DZ390K speakers

bhartisunil

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum and a complete noob in the field of Audio, yet I have a strong desire to learn and implement some DIY projects as part of electronics hobby. The first project that I want to implement is to repurpose my old but working Sony DAV DZ390K speakers (the main unit is dead beyond repair) into an all in one sound bar/ boom box/ Karaoke system or stand alone Tower party speaker system with maximum possible functionality.

The specs of the speaker system are as follows;

4 units of Surround speakers: SS-TS94 Full Range Bass Reflex 65 mm Cone Type 3 Ohms
1 unit of Centre speaker: SS-CT91 Full Range Bass Reflex Magnetically Shielded 65 mm Cone Type 3 Ohms
1 unit of passive Subwoofer: SS-WS93 Subwoofer Bass Reflex 180mm Cone Type 1.5 Ohms

Specs for the amplifier Section in the Sony main unit (that's dead now) was as follows;

Stereo Mode (Rated) :
108W + 108W (at 3 Ohms, 1KHz, 1% THD)
Surround Mode (reference) RMS Output Power : FL/FR/S
L/SR/C : 144Watts (per channel at 3 Ohms, 1KHz, 1%THD) Subwoofer : 280Watts (1.5 Ohms, 80Hz, 10% THD)

What all systems do I need to add to these speakers to create a stand alone 2.1/5.1 sound bar/ BoomBox/ party Tower etc with USB/AUX/BT and Mic/Guitar inputs?

What would be the schematics?

Where could I source all the materials?

It's not about saving money, Its about creating something and learning in the process. So, kindly help.

Thanks and Regards,
Sunil BhartiSony DAV-DZ390K.jpeg

Last edited:
hey Sunil, welcome to the world of DIY, I had a similar sony system, one model above it. I am aware of the capabilities of this particular sony, I was disappointed to see what was inside these when I tried to repurpose it. I will suggest watching some youtube videos, there are plenty if you type in the right keywords. As for "soundbar/ BoomBox/ party Tower etc with USB/AUX/BT and Mic/Guitar inputs", you will find DIY class D amplifier boards in 5.1, 4.1, 2.1 configurations suited to your needs on Amazon and tons of other Indian websites.
a couple of such example =
https://www.amazon.in/Generic-TPA31...eywords=4.1+class+d+amp&qid=1640369576&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.in/DHRUV-PRO-Sub...eywords=2.1+class+d+amp&qid=1640369639&sr=8-9

One problem you may encounter using generic amp boards is that most of them can't handle the low impedance like 3 ohms or 1.5 ohms of those sony speakers. You have to get an amp that handles such low impedance or you can make a stand-alone stereo soundbar with two of the surround speakers connected in serial for each channel. get one more sub driver and connect it series to the sub driver

Last edited:
Specs for the amplifier Section in the Sony main unit (that's dead now) was as follows;

Stereo Mode (Rated) :
108W + 108W (at 3 Ohms, 1KHz, 1% THD)
Surround Mode (reference) RMS Output Power : FL/FR/S
L/SR/C : 144Watts (per channel at 3 Ohms, 1KHz, 1%THD) Subwoofer : 280Watts (1.5 Ohms, 80Hz, 10% THD)

Me too had one old Sony hifi system with 4 boxes, 2 stereo and 2 surround. And when looked at the specs it was showing like 140+140 watts (6 ohms at 1KHz, 10% THD)
Also, opening the hifi setup I could see the circuit using ic STK442-130 which is rated as 150+150 w.

But for testing i have tried to play it ACA amp (5w stereo output) it was able to play it well when source was from laptop , but from mobile its volume was little less.. this amp needs a preamp with some gain when using from sources like mobile etc..
once tried them with class D amp tpa3116 board from aliexpress rated at 50+50w stereo.. that also able to play these speakers with sufficient volume..

so for these speakers , even though they are rated at 100+ watts output, we may use good small amplifiers also to power them and not necessarily need very high power amplifiers as their rated powers... (these above amplifiers were only for some testing only) ..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back