Restoration of Hitachi PS-8Turntable

kuruvilajacob

Several months back, I got a Hitachi PS-8 belt drive TT . I really could not call it a TT because it was in such broken down condition with the entire plinth having crumbled and it had only an arm with no head shell , counter weight nor belt. The only positive things for me to pick it up was because it's arm looked very good and it's motor was working. While browsing the net, I saw the same player modified by some one. I was inspired to try a similar project with this TT. It was not an easy job and it involved many trips to the carpenter, many hours of my technicians time. The outcome is quite a transformation that I am surprised I could do so much to a player which must have been one of the good models bought out by Hitachi because it sounds as good as any l top class belt drive I have listened. I do not have pics of it's worst condition but do have some pics of its earlier condition and the present condition. Now for some pics. Of course, it needs another load of polish for it to look it's best. But i am encouraged that the entire cosmetic part is the handiwork of your's truly

Last edited:
Its always a lovely feeling to see an old turntable restored and put back in running condition for someone (probably a new entrant to the world of vinyl) to use.

oh absolutely agree with Reuben. the sense of achievement from junk to jewel, is truly satisfying.
Good going Jacob.....the woodwork should really look fine, once coated with its final polish.

Its always a lovely feeling to see an old turntable restored and put back in running condition for someone (probably a new entrant to the world of vinyl) to use.

Yes. It is a wonderful feeling. When i bought the player, I was interested only in it's tone arm but when I could restore it, I feel it was worth all the trouble I had put into it.

Back