Restoring a vintage HMV Garrard turntable

Thank you so much for the kind words. And surprise surprise, I just opened the box and it is another AUTOSLIM. I am also looking to pick a cosmic cogram 2000 BD which is being sold for 750 bucks. All parts are intact but no cart. I have made it a point to use only Indian brands and thus have two ENBEE amps, hand made by Mr. Nakara from Delhi with four sentinel speakers of the same brand. I just hope that once revived, the auto slim can be connected to the pre/power amp setup.

Autoslims were well received models from the Garrard stable. They were famously used in record players (with inbuilt amps) and the more modern (1960s and very early 1970s) radio grams or audio units. They are not very high end but will play flaw-lessly just as all Garrards do, and last a couple of life times with minimum maintenance. In my lifetime, I have seen only 2 machines that can be just dumped in a barn for a long time, brought back and used thereafter, namely (1) Garrard Idler Turntables & Changers and (2) Suzuki Samuari Motorcycle :)

AND IT WORKS. This AUTOSLIM has seen the light of day after 25 years. I plugged it in and it moved... though slowly. It took me a while to realise that the speed was set to 16. At 45 I played a record but the speaker is humming, with a slight crackled sound of the song. The table needs a slight push in the beginning to get started. I brought it home in a flight from Delhi and all the airport security men gathered around to have a look at it with one saying, " 50 saal purana hai to ab to dikhaane ke liye hi hoga".

AND IT WORKS. This AUTOSLIM has seen the light of day after 25 years. I plugged it in and it moved... though slowly. It took me a while to realise that the speed was set to 16. At 45 I played a record but the speaker is humming, with a slight crackled sound of the song. The table needs a slight push in the beginning to get started. I brought it home in a flight from Delhi and all the airport security men gathered around to have a look at it with one saying, " 50 saal purana hai to ab to dikhaane ke liye hi hoga".

From what you have mentioned, looks like the TT requires a to be lubed. You may have to give it a good clean before lubing.

I wanted to know if a flip stylus can be fixed to any cart or does one need a different cart for that. There is nothing printed on my cart. Or should i say i can't read anything written on it, but by the looks of it, it is the original cart. The stylus is A557

I wanted to know if a flip stylus can be fixed to any cart or does one need a different cart for that. There is nothing printed on my cart. Or should i say i can't read anything written on it, but by the looks of it, it is the original cart. The stylus is A557

Flip stylus can be used only with carts which support it. Please take a look at this advert. Your stylus model number is mentioned.

S82621 Type Stylus for Zenith 142-167 - our Needle 898

Gurus I need help. Despite the cleaning, my Garrard autoslim has started to slow down. So much so that now the voice comes in waves. Would the spring and the idler need to be changed? There is a slight hum too when it is switched on, but on lower volumes it does not bother. The gentleman who helped me clean up said that there is a PUB or a coil attached to the tonearm wire which is creating the problem. How to tackle this? Could the motor be giving up? Thanks a lot.

This is the auto slim in contention. The sound comes in waves and the motor runs at 32 RPM.

Attachments

• 20150622_115240.jpg
    20150622_115240.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 68
  • 20150622_115122.jpg
    20150622_115122.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 69
Gurus I need help. Despite the cleaning, my Garrard autoslim has started to slow down. So much so that now the voice comes in waves. Would the spring and the idler need to be changed? There is a slight hum too when it is switched on, but on lower volumes it does not bother. The gentleman who helped me clean up said that there is a PUB or a coil attached to the tonearm wire which is creating the problem. How to tackle this? Could the motor be giving up? Thanks a lot.

sorry i just saw this post, 5 years later :)
If a changer slows down, its time to change the idler wheel, simple as that.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back