Restoring a vintage HMV Garrard turntable

I hope one doesn't have to take apart the whole thing to apply the grease. The speed changer and disc changer mechanism is quite complicated.

IMO First make it working, then keep fine tuning and greasing etc for last step. Electrical is needing more attention than mechanism. The mechanism is rather in better shape than circuit which has attempted repair.
Overall required quantity of grease for this TT would not be more that size of 2 peanuts.

Last edited:
IMO First make it working, then keep fine tuning and greasing etc for last step. Electrical is needing more attention than mechanism. The mechanism is rather in better shape than circuit which has attempted repair.
Overall required quantity of grease for this TT would not be more that size of 2 peanuts.

+1 to the above, unless you plan to use the TT with another amp, while you source your spares :)

Back to the amp. While waiting for the spares I tried omishra's suggestion to add a 40W bulb in series (instead of 350 Ohm) and as he guessed the bulb glows. Now waiting for the 350 Ohm spare to check correct voltages.

Only weird observation is that the voltage across bulb starts at 75V and drop rapidly. I turned off the amp when it dropped to 65V. Not sure what is causing that.

Amp works!

Received the spares and put in the 350 Ohm resistor. Cleaned and resoldered the tonearm wires. Since the cart is kaput I was wondering how to test this. I connected the headphone output of my mobile instead and it worked. Nice clean sound from the amp. Unbelievably there is no background hum/hiss.

@Reuben, I checked the voltages but what I get is
93V across filaments (not 138)
100V across 1090 R15
50V across 350 Ohm

1. How does the circuit says 7.5V bulb across the 350 Ohm without any resistor in series.
2. Also what cart (mono) can I use as a replacement for the Sonotone?

Omishra, Reubensm a million thanks to you. Homi, thanks for the Gupta Radio tip. Got the spares from them.

Good news! Great it worked.

Try that bulb with (220K?+Neon) across 350? parallely.

Did you check the voltages with load or without load? I had given the numbers based on the valve filament ratings. Nevertheless, I strongly believe that theory can go out of the window when things actually end up working :) Congratulations on getting it up and running.

Ceramic carts are hard to get. Your best bet is to source an EEI cart from Kolkatta (that's where you are most likely to find them). The EEI CS2000 is the best EEI ceramic cart which I have come across but it is a stereo cart. The EEI Mono carts were also quite good. Of course, all types of ceramics can be purchased online, all you need to do is check ebay.com or ebay.de. Having said this, you'll end up spending a couple of thousands (INR) if you are importing one. Please run a check with our FMs from Kolkatta, some of them may be able to help.

The neon is blown I think. It shows open on the multimeter.
Neon bulb shows infinite resistance like open, no problem. It has 2 non contacting electrodes in sealed chamber and Neon gas filled to glow around electrodes.

@Reuben

1. Voltages were checked with load.
2. Can't I use a mono MM cart? Anything special about ceramic carts? Is it related to tonearm weight/compliance/output like MC/MM? Also, the old cart has flip stylus for (33/45 and 78rpm).

@Omishra, ok will connect the bulb and check.

Hi ...
I have some ceramic cartridges'Made in England' with head shell.Those are NOS. Never been used.Let me know if anyone is interested.

Hi me too in possession of this beauty which was gifted to me from my uncle along with 200 records in mint condition. I had let it lie around for sometime and after reading this discussion me too gonna restore this back. This unit has sonotone cartridge and good mono speaker.
Regards
Srinivas

Hello friends. My name is Varun Badola. I have just picked up a garland RC 121 MK from a friend. When it was packed and kept away, it was in a working condition. If it needs refurbishing, could I call upon the forum members? I also wanted to know if this player should strictly be used for playing old records. It has all the four speeds though. The tonearm can be balanced from 0-15 gms.

Hello Varun,

I'm sure you will get help (as you can see from my experience) from the gurus here. But I guess you will need to start with specific questions.

Wish you all the best!

Hello friends. My name is Varun Badola. I have just picked up a garland RC 121 MK from a friend. When it was packed and kept away, it was in a working condition. If it needs refurbishing, could I call upon the forum members? I also wanted to know if this player should strictly be used for playing old records. It has all the four speeds though. The tonearm can be balanced from 0-15 gms.

Is that the thing you are talking about?

hqdefault.jpg

I think Reuben has restored similar stuff.

Yes indeed, what my brother and I restored was a RC210. They appear quite complicated but are actually easy to restore. Just that one has to be patient and have an eye for detail. If its just cleaning and lubes, its extremely easy but if you have to fix something, then you'll require spares. NOS spares of these old Garrards are available online, but at a price, hence restoration with spares should be attempted only for love of the equipment as spares are expensive.

There is no rule that these turntables should be used only for old records. However, when playing new records, please prefer to use it in manual mode, one record at a time. Also use only light weight tracking. These tonearms are quite basic and are spring-balanced. Hence you can use only ceramic carts with this type of turntable. When tracking at less than 5 grams, these tonearms are quite unreliable.

Here is where I got my Garrard RC210 spares from. They are very professional and will go all out to supply the parts. The quality of the parts is superb as it is basically NOS. http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/default.asp

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back