Resurrecting 1960's Pioneer CS-88's

sqvare

Thinking of resuscitating long-mothballed Pioneer CS-88 speakers. Music at home through the 70's & 80's came through their latticework, and I'm curious about how they'll sound now if I can get them up to spec.

From what I can tell, all four tweeter cones are frayed and the horn on one sounds raspy. Midrange drivers seem OK. The woofer cones and (original) cloth surrounds are fine.

Mid & high level pots on the back are scratchy as he11, barely making contact. I'm trying to get hold of some DeOxit; failing which, could just bypass them. No idea what state the crossovers are in.

Anyone know where I can get the HF cone & horn drivers fixed in Mumbai? Or should I just replace them? If so, with what?

Some pics

Hi i am looking for a can of DeOxit to clean the pots of my Vintage amps, but no one sells them in India :sad: eBay does not ship this item. Is any one selling this item?

Anil

I'm trying to get hold of some DeOxit;

Nope; only hope in sight is to get someone coming from the US to pick it up from Radio Shack. That's what I'm trying... :)

:sos:​

Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get the cone & horn tweeters fixed in Mumbai? Or if they need to be replaced, what would be the equivalents? I don't mind ordering replacement drivers from outside Mumbai.

I'm asking about equivalent drivers because tweaking the crossovers is beyond my skill level; given components, I can solder and replace, but that's about it.

Thanks

Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get the cone & horn tweeters fixed in Mumbai? Or if they need to be replaced, what would be the equivalents? I don't mind ordering replacement drivers from outside Mumbai.

I'm asking about equivalent drivers because tweaking the crossovers is beyond my skill level; given components, I can solder and replace, but that's about it.

Thanks

Hi,

Do a search on Audiokarma.org

You could search on the Speakers forum or the Pioneer forum on AK.

I recall there being posts on the Pioneer CS88 on AK.You might find information about replacement drivers for the speakers.

Regards
Rajiv

Back