Seeking Home Theater Advice & Recommendations

n_aditya

Hi All,

Just joined and this is my first post here.

Been wanting to invest in a Home Theater setup for a while now.

I had a Sony 5.1 HT which I had bought back in 2006 and it served me very well. Gave it away few years ago since it had no HDMI or USB ports and it pretty much became obsolete.

Now I am looking to get a HT setup for my living room and a friend suggested I get in touch with a person that can help.

Here is what he recommended:

Option-1:

HTS-1.jpeg

Option-2:

HTS-2.jpeg

Unfortunately both these above options are out of my budget.

Apparently, according to the gentleman I am conversing with for this HT system, the pricing is similar to the Jamo speaker configuration.

I have asked Cinebels to share the prices for their Jamo Home Cinema Systems (HCS). Link to two models on their website - https://www.cinebels.com/jamo/speakers-hcs

Alternatively, I was suggested to go with Taga Harmony S607 5.0 (link) which are within my budget (pricing below). The Taga Harmony S607 will be coupled with the Denon x250BT amp and the JBL A100P subwoofer (150W RMS)

HTS-3.jpeg

Alternative to the Taga 607 5.0 is the TAV-507 5.0, only difference being latter (507) has 5.25" drivers for the mid range and bass driver on the floor standing front speakers. The 607 has 6" drivers and costs 7k more. Is there a noticeable difference in this? If not, the difference of 7k which I can save does matter. I don't have a smart TV and currently use Chromecast, but was recommended to get the Amazon Firestick.

Considering that this will be installed in the living room (layout image below) what would you suggest?

Living Room.png
- Do I really need floor standing front speakers or should I go with bookshelves (JBL A-130) in the front and save some money? I presume the difference in sound will be quite a bit considering the no. of drivers and the size. Please correct my presumption if I am wrong.

- The person was saying the Taga's are good for movies, only slightly lesser in terms of performance compared to JBL. I have a JBL 2.0 soundbar (30W) which is very good for its size. I would prefer to sample the sound from the Taga's but unable to find them anywhere (only sold online). This is pretty much within my budget. Would you recommend the Taga's? Hadn't heard of this brand until I started this search few weeks ago. I will use this setup to watch movies and listen to music (80's rock and metal).

- Also, I understand the Denon AVR x550BT has a USB port to play content which the 250BT does not have. I have a huge collection of movies on a HDD, how do I play them if I get the 250BT?

- Since there are pretty much no demo's available for Taga, I am posting this thread.

Apologies for the long post and so many questions. I'm quite lost and any help on this is highly appreciated. Many thanks to the experts here in advance.

Hi All,

I had a Sony 5.1 HT which I had bought back in 2006 and it served me very well. Gave it away few years ago since it had no HDMI or USB ports and it pretty much became obsolete.

Now I am looking to get a HT setup for my living room and a friend suggested I get in touch with a person that can help.

Option-1:

View attachment 78648

Option-2:

View attachment 78649

Apparently, according to the gentleman I am conversing with for this HT system, the pricing is similar to the Jamo speaker configuration.

I have asked Cinebels to share the prices for their Jamo Home Cinema Systems (HCS). Link to two models on their website - https://www.cinebels.com/jamo/speakers-hcs

Alternatively, I was suggested to go with Taga Harmony S607 5.0 (link) which are within my budget (pricing below). The Taga Harmony S607 will be coupled with the Denon x250BT amp and the JBL A100P subwoofer (150W RMS)

View attachment 78650

Alternative to the Taga 607 5.0 is the TAV-507 5.0, only difference being latter (507) has 5.25" drivers for the mid range and bass driver on the floor standing front speakers. The 607 has 6" drivers and costs 7k more. Is there a noticeable difference in this? If not, the difference of 7k which I can save does matter. I don't have a smart TV and currently use Chromecast, but was recommended to get the Amazon Firestick.

Considering that this will be installed in the living room (layout image below) what would you suggest?

View attachment 78651
- Do I really need floor standing front speakers or should I go with bookshelves (JBL A-130) in the front and save some money? I presume the difference in sound will be quite a bit considering the no. of drivers and the size. Please correct my presumption if I am wrong.

- The person was saying the Taga's are good for movies, only slightly lesser in terms of performance compared to JBL. I have a JBL 2.0 soundbar (30W) which is very good for its size. I would prefer to sample the sound from the Taga's but unable to find them anywhere (only sold online). This is pretty much within my budget. Would you recommend the Taga's? Hadn't heard of this brand until I started this search few weeks ago. I will use this setup to watch movies and listen to music (80's rock and metal).

- Also, I understand the Denon AVR x550BT has a USB port to play content which the 250BT does not have. I have a huge collection of movies on a HDD, how do I play them if I get the 250BT?

- Since there are pretty much no demo's available for Taga, I am posting this thread.

Apologies for the long post and so many questions. I'm quite lost and any help on this is highly appreciated. Many thanks to the experts here in advance.
Hi,

I was using Taga 607 in the initial stages of HT. It served me well for 3 years and then I sold it off when I got Klipsch bookshelf speaker. JBL bookshelf speakers (A-130) along with the Sub will be much better compared to Taga 607. In the end, it all comes down to budget. For their price, you cannot go wrong with Taga.
Also, it will be better if you can do some partition or wall proofing the open dining area; this will improve the acoustics by greater scale.

Hi All,

Option-1:

View attachment 78648

Option-2:

View attachment 78649

View attachment 78650

View attachment 78651

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

You need to audition many systems to get a better understanding. New will be expensive if you want to get the best experience. If you are open to pre owned systems, you should check OLX and other classifieds where you can get something nice within your budget and use the same for sometime. There are ample reviews and videos over Google to help you understand better the brands the models and their performances.

End of the day it all boils down to what you want, how much are you willing to spend and what suits your expectations.

All the best!

Hi All,

Option-1:

View attachment 78648

Option-2:

View attachment 78649

View attachment 78650

View attachment 78651

When you are using a subwoofer you can use the a130 instead of the a170. There's no point of buying a170 ( in your case, as the budget is limited).
AVR it would be better if you get the 550 as u will need to calibrate your subwoofer properly to get that optimum experience.

Also, I don’t think the usb port on an Avr would playback movies. It is just for audio and firmware update. Kindly check that.

Thanks all for your responses. much appreciated.

Auditioned the Yamaha set-up as per below and loved it.

Speakers:
Yamaha NSF71 floor standing
Yamaha NSP41 center and surround
Yamaha SSW050 sub - which I felt was underpowered and will go with JBL A100P sub instead.
BIC America atmos speakers

AVR:
Onkyo TX-SR494 (7.2CH AVR)

Was quoted 69k for the AVR and 85k for the speakers package. JBL sub will cost me 20k more.

I understand this particular Onkyo AVR is out of production but firmware updates are available.

In future, will there be an issue sourcing parts if the AVR develops any issues?

Also, I was told the warranty is only 1yr for all these items.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back