• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Rethm Bhaava - A listening experience

jmascreen

How it will be with a dcb1 + F5T combo?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

prem

Jls001, wouldn't that be true for any speaker he uses? I thought the question was will Bhava sound good with that combo?

apk

You never know if the price will be increased for this speaker soon. Once that happens, there is going to be a mad scramble and whole new perspectives to discussions ;)
I do hope the prices don't go up any time soon. Am planning to change my setup when I move to a new apartment later in the year - and the Bhaavas are one of the speakers I am keen on.

They currently retail for around 1.25L in India, right?

best,
apk

prem

Hari, a Stereophile reviewer has made that statement. So I don't think anybody on this forum can answer that question. And this comes from the magazine that you regard highly and consider is objective in its review

In the past too, a Stereophile reviewer found the Trishna to be the best in the sub USD 5000 category. Also Art Dudley, one of Stereophiles most respected reviewers has praised the Saadhanas very highly.

Last edited:

Hari Iyer

Hari, a Stereophile reviewer has made that statement. So I don't think anybody on this forum can answer that question. And this comes from the magazine that you regard highly and consider is objective in its review

In the past too, a Stereophile reviewer found the Trishna to be the best in the sub USD 5000 category. Also Art Dudley, one of Stereophiles most respected reviewers has praised the Saadhanas very highly.
The reason i asked was to understand that most full-range drivers do not measure well, but they sound astonishingly great than the multi-driver counterpart in most cases. I wanted to check if Rethems also fall in the same league or is in a league apart. Hence there will always be no or very few measured response for any FR speakers.

Consider for example this link about Fostex 108Z sigma driver and analyse its response and its subjective listening experience http://www.stereophile.com/content/horn-shoppe-horn-loudspeaker-measurements#3gOumIvHwgUDAGSe.97

SPONSORED ADS

Hari Iyer

http://www.rethm.com/RethmStereophile1.pdf

Above is Sam Telligs, another of Stereophile highly respected reviewers, take on Rethm
Will read this on the weekend. But again no graphs for me to analyze to form my perspective. Luckily i can visit your home for an subjective listening and will plan some time around July. Currently completely occupied with GST :eek:hyeah:

prem

Hari, the Bhava has a built in bass module with its own amplifier. So do all Rethm models. Some of them have active crossover and some passive. In all models, the full range unit operates with no cutting of the bass while the bass module just fills the lower octave. So technically none of them are single drivers in the true sense of that word. For measurements you need to check with Stereophile and see if they provide you with any.

prem

Hari, I genuinely think a single driver with a bass unit which has crossover and vol controls is a great option for small homes because you can tailor the crossover and vol setting. Also it gives you the flexibility of adding more mid bass because a few like it that way. These controls can really help you tailor the sound to your room and to your liking

Hari Iyer

Hari, the Bhava has a built in bass module with its own amplifier. So do all Rethm models. Some of them have active crossover and some passive. In all models, the full range unit operates with no cutting of the bass while the bass module just fills the lower octave. So technically none of them are single drivers in the true sense of that word. For measurements you need to check with Stereophile and see if they provide you with any.
It means the low end behaves like a subwoofer below 100Hz and the full-range operate above 100Hz in a Hybrid (TL + Horn) loading. It will be very interesting to check its step response to check phase coherence between the woofer and full-ranger. Subjective listening cannot confirm this only objective measurement will be able to do it.

prem

You can cross it higher also upto 350 Hz and lower upto 55 Hz. Irrespective of where you crossover, the single driver in the Saadhanas will go down till about 50 Hz. So the coherency of the single driver is not lost. This is what Voxativ is also doing in its newer designs

So in the Rethm models, there is no fixed crossover point. It's upto the listener to choose the crossover point. Also the single driver operates full range and the bass is not cut at any point irrespective of the crossover setting. That's what makes the design interesting because it retains the coherency of a single driver with the bass that's normally missing in a single driver. The bass at least in the Saadhanas goes down to 18hz as per measurements made in a Taiwan show

Last edited:

prem

Hari, what speaker measurements would you look at for tone, timbre and harmonics.

prem

Hari, in the earlier Saadhanas, Jacob was using the Lowther DX 55. Here is a link to what Nelson Pass has to say about these drivers

Alerion Reviews

In the current Saadhanas, Jacob uses his own custom built drivers as a replacement for the DX 55. No idea how they measure though

Here is one more link to the DX 55 performance

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt/firstwatt_3.html

Last edited:

Hari Iyer

Hari, what speaker measurements would you look at for tone, timbre and harmonics.
Step response, impulse response and schroeder integral response. These will explain to those who can't listen them subjectively.

prem

Hari, wouldn't the Scroeder response be hugely room dependent?

Also would two speakers with the same step response, impulse response and Schroeder response sound the same in terms of tone, timbre and harmonics?

What are these parameters like Schroeder response, step response, etc dependent on? Is it the crossover design, the speaker design, the room, the driver?

Also I have heard a neodymium magnet Lowther and a alnico magnet Lowther. The alnico to my ears has a better tone. So how does one choose a driver for a speaker? What parameters does one look at?

Last edited:
SPONSORED ADS