Returning with stuff from USA. How ?

If someone is travelling, it might make sense to ask the Customs staff at the airport, the information may be accurate. My son was here from the US recently could easily have asked him to check on his way out.

A friend of mine is travelling to US and has a few questions regarding customs duty:
1) What is the permissible limit for which duty will not be charged?
2) What is the rate at which customs duty will be charged if he exceeds the limit?

Thanks in advance :)

This is per my knowledge, things could have been changed.
Permissible Limit - Rs 25000 worth goods.
Alcohol - 1 liter allowed
Above this is at 30% duty. The price to calculate duty is retail price, not what you paid. although you can argue and negotiate lower if you have receipts.

A friend of mine is travelling to US and has a few questions regarding customs duty:
1) What is the permissible limit for which duty will not be charged?
2) What is the rate at which customs duty will be charged if he exceeds the limit?

Thanks in advance :)

Except for your underwear, everything is dutiable. :) Oops. I mean, that other than articles of daily use and clearly old and used, everything is dutiable. But there are certain items for which duty is exempt. This is per person for a travel to any country other than Nepal, Bhutan lasting more than 3 days

1. Two litres of alcoholic beverage in any form.
2. 200 cigarettes or 25 cigars.
3. One laptop
4. Personal jewellery limited to an extent
5. Limited perfumes and cosmetic

All other items (including purchased garments) may be inspected and valued as per customs guide book. To the total value, freight charges are added (something like 10%). From this total value, a duty free allowance Rs. 25,000 per adult is deducted and the rest is dutiable value. Personal effects baggage duty is 35%. In Mumbai, octroi at 5.5% is also calculated and charged.

But the above is what the official rule book says. In practice, custom officials are generally lenient and look for high value items only. But if you start acting funny, they can and will, apply the official rules.

p/s. There could be some misouts or errors above; please refer to the customs website for rules under personals effects / checked baggage. Unaccompanied baggage does not apply for 25k exemption.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I got back from the us 3 days ago with 2 30" suitcases, each with one 13kg bookshelf speaker inside (The one linked in my sig) worth 2800$

Airport : IGI T3 Delhi
Customs paid : 0 (I just walked out the door)

some customs guy reading this would be making plans to contact you.

:lol:
mpw
------------------------------------------------------

I got back from the us 3 days ago with 2 30" suitcases, each with one 13kg bookshelf speaker inside (The one linked in my sig) worth 2800$

Airport : IGI T3 Delhi
Customs paid : 0 (I just walked out the door)

some customs guy reading this would be making plans to contact you.

:lol:
mpw
------------------------------------------------------

In my defence I shall tell them this!

"Kya yaar ye toh branded speaker bhi nahi hain. Sony ka speaker hone seh phir bhi kuch banta! Yeh toh purana lakri wala bhari speaker. Aaj kal ke home theatre jaisa naheen hain!"

Which translates to

"Man, it's not even a good branded speaker like sony! It's old heavy and made of wood! Not like the fancy home theatres you get these days!"

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Hi Santhosh

Someone is going to the US tomorrow night, he volunteered to check from Customs and sms me from the airport. Hopefully he will be able to do it.

Cheers

I would be returing back to India and would like to bring back AV stuff. Luckily Best buy is nearby. Looking forward to your suggestions and safe way to bring stuff in luggage. I saw Def Tech, B&W and some Polk Audio which are prices pretty low compared to India.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Hyd customs are pretty decent IMO compared to Mumbai. All they seem to care about is excess alcohol and Gold bars. You can bring in gold pretty much in any other form (in reasonable qty) and they usually don't bother you. However if its gold bars you better prepare your paperwork.

Other than that the only people I see getting pulled over are the "Dubai maal" folks coming from the middle east. These guys walk in literally asking for it with huge boxes of TVs etc with brand names all over. Even here the customs guys are not so stringent as they used to be.

In your case as you are shifting back home, I don't see them pushing you too hard as you can always justify that these are your home electronics. If you are in a big group its a lot easier as more bags are allowed. If its just one or two of your and you have 6-8 bags just be prepared to explain yourself. The big thing that has changes is the volume of people coming in and out of HYD recently - good thing is that the customs have bigger and better things to do than hassle regular folks.

Yes , you're right Nikhil. Ive always found that from the US/EU the customs people are polite and courteous, and if you're well dressed and talk to them politely they dont hassle you-just tell you to go! On occasion I've gone to the red channel and told them that I have stuff below the limit and that I am wiling to open my bag and show them stuff that has shown up on the XRay, they just wave me through.

Shipping LCL is the best option if you have stuff of atleast 50CFT. If claim Change of residence, 15% is the import duty on electronics upto 5Lacs worth and for the first piece, anything over that will be 35%. Even if you have stuff less than 5Lacs and you have 2 pieces of same electronics, the second one will be charged 35% duty.
What is the source of this information. I doubt it to be correct.

Ok here's the latest-the person going out wasn't able to ask, but noted on the customs part of the disembarkation card( which you tear off and hand to customs as you exit) that Rs 35K is the duty free limit indicated. I hope to get some more definitive information on this next week.

I saw that page earlier, but I think it's not been updated ( could be wrong though), after the last budget. When I went to the US earlier this year I seem to remember the enhanced limit.Anyway, as I indicated, I will have more concrete information next week.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back