Reuse old sony 2.1 speakers

nubinstanley

I am waiting for my new HT system to be delivered. Had a long thread here earlier regarding this topic. :)

I have a 5 year old Sony SA-D10. The specs for the same can be found here. Now, this might be absurd, but bear with me. :D

Would it work if I use the 4 small speakers as the atmos ceiling speakers? :D The ceiling speakers are essentially for "effects" and high fidelity isn't a requirement? Or would these just ruin the rest of the setup?

Sony seems to be 12 Ohms which is just about inside most receivers' impedance range. You should be Okay to use them in my opinion.

Which receiver have you got?

MaSh

Great, you are sorted then. Do post pictures when you have your speakers all setup.

MaSh

Well, things are a little more interesting. :p

I stay at a rented place and have no option to mount the speakers on the ceiling. My "experiment" involves 9 feet stands (link) and cross bars (curtain rods) to mount the speakers. :D This is why I did not want to embark on this journey unless it gives me at least "a little bit of atmos". :p

I have two options :

1) Use only the stands, with the speakers mounted on them. A pair behind the couch and a pair right behind the TV. They would act like front and rear heights ?
2) Stands stay where they are, with rods connecting the front left/rear left and front right/rear right stands. Speakers mounted on the cross roads, almost as per dolby 5.1.4 recommendations (this is the plan as of now).

Any opinions ? :p

Oh wow that is interesting. Do you have a visio or a simple drawing of your setup? Maybe that will give an idea and help members give you suggestions.

MaSh

Oh wow that is interesting. Do you have a visio or a simple drawing of your setup? Maybe that will give an idea and help members give you suggestions.

MaSh

SpeakerPlacement.jpg

- The woofer will be to the side of the front right tower.
- The stands would be right behind the couch(on either end) and on either side of the TV (a little behind).
- The rods would run from front to back (parallel to the longer walls)

People have used those white PVC Water/plumbing pipes to hold up Satellite Speakers.

Think you should be fine, and these Sony speakers are perfect for the Atmos usage ;)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back